I am strange...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by thach, Dec 20, 2013.

1. thach

thach Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 14, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Hello all. I joined recently and just purchased and received an Olympus 45mm f/1.8 from a fellow forum member.

Only one problem: I own and use a Nikon D7000. I am not the first person to buy a lens before a camera, am I?

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If you're buying a compatible camera soon (very soon) you get a pass. If not, then yeah, a bit strange.

Welcome aboard either way!
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome aboard, Thatch!

Nope, others have reserved the lens before choosing a camera body. Glass is easy, bodies are hard :biggrin:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    sounds sensible to me :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :biggrin: welcome to the user group!

lots of good deals on m4/3 bodies right now...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Stick the lens backwards inside yer D7000, see if it'll do macros ...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    The 45 is a great piece of glass. I would be dying if I didn't have a body to put it on.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thach

thach Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 14, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Thank you for the welcoming words!

I'm using the last reserves of self-control to not pulling the trigger on a GX7. I'll wait and see what the prices look like in 2014.

I do feel really weird for not being able to test the 45mm out right now though.
  9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Its a beautiful lens... it doesn't need a body to justify its existence... my precious...
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    LOL. I do think the 45/1.8 perhaps more than any other lens represents what is great about our system. Small, light, sharp, fast, lovely rendering, quick to focus, nice looking. Plus it's relatively affordable for a short telephoto prime of those qualities. One of my favorite lenses all time for any system.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not strange for good lens. It would be odd for a kit lens unless it was $10.
  12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It actually seems like a traditional nifty-fifty in those respects.
  13. Not strange at all. Use that lens for face to face lens coupling for great macro with the camera/lens you now have. For coupling adapter I used two Cokin threaded adapters crazy glued face to face. Glue is still holding twenty years later.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Other than a 50mm f1.8, there isn't much for D7000 aps-c short telephoto primes. My niece has D3200 & is irked that no 24 or 28 mm f1.8 type primes exist for her camera sensor size.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I think that's the correct mindset... as some of us would always say, lens first before body. :smile:

Welcome to the forum!!
    • Like Like x 1