I am sooo late..

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Slim, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    While others, many others, people are clamouring and talking about the EM1, EP5 and A7r and all that, I am just starting to enjoy the party. Thanks to the posts I read here, I got myself a new, pre-loved camera.
    Loving every minute of it and look forward to having more fun with pointers from the best people here... (yup, that means you too).

10917135356_64a6c9a1a9_c.
    epl2 with panasonic 1445 by Nor Salman, on Flickr

10926277445_c3a502dc15_c.
    Droplets on leaves by Nor Salman, on Flickr

• Like Like x 13
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome to the party! It's never too late. BTW, that's an awesome shot! :thumbup:

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    It's never too late, welcome.

Greta choice of lens there, ithe 14-45 is the great unsung hero of M4/3 IMVHO, original and the best.

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Welcome to the party, btw nice camera, nice lens, great picture.

5. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Great camera spend money on excellent lenses,upgrade body when theres a huge improvement otherwise your wasting money.Most quality lenses hold their value,bodies don't ! Good luck with the new camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I'm in the same boat...... I just sold a GH2 for a "lovingly used" OMD &
    I'm having a ball with all of my legacy glass and the OMD's IBIS....... ;-)

7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Welcome to the party. I am a late adapter myself. I am pretty much the opposite of an early adapter. In fact, by the time I get to the party it seems all the cool people have already moved on to the next big thing. On the plus side, it let's me get good deals on equipment, like my G5 (which I love). Congrats on the new camera and have fun.

8. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yes Sir ..

9. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Better late than never!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    Welcome! There are a lot of us still using second-gen cameras and making great pictures (E-P2 here). You can't beat the price/performance ratio.

Sent from my One S using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Thank you all for the welcome. Appreciate it.. now.. for the fun part..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    What are you talking about? The party's just getting started! :wink:

13. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

Nice camera, very good choice. I had the E-PL2 and would still have it I'm sure, if it wasn't stolen from me. The 14-45 Panny is also one I had and it is quite sharp for a kit zoom (sharpest maybe?).

A bit of advise. Since the E-PL2 uses the older 12MP sensor and suffers from the less than perfect "Gradation" dynamic range enhancement feature as well as a JPEG engine that is not quite up to current standards, I would recommend shooting in RAW and adjusting your images with a good post processing software like Lightroom (if you don't already). You should be able to get much better results than the in-camera JPEGS. I always found my E-PL2 default JPEG files to lack a little "punch".

Cheers.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome - a great camera and a great place to share your photos.

15. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Got an ancient E-P3 and pretty dad burn pleased with handling and IQ. Albeit I may upgrade to the E-P5 or E-M1 in 18 months or so when on closeout...

16. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Thanks for the advise everhandy. I have lr and am shooting both jpeg and raw.. thanks again.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Well done, you have the best camera body for a certain use in the whole of the m4/3rds line-up.
    (Although having said that, there are a few other 'bests' at various jobs, in my opinion.)
    I now recommend you hunt for a cheap used e-P1 for outdoor use too.

18. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Ooh? Ep1 for outdoor? Ep1 images are better for outdoor shots? Ooh.. now heart beats faster.. why?

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    e-P1 has (Jpeg) ISO 100 and in my tested opinion better landscape & sky colours.
    If you like Jpegs the e-P1 colours are king, once global Green+1 WB is set. By the way e-P2 & e-pL1 have the same colours, as do four DSLRs.
    ISO 100 allows an ISO-bracket with base ISO200 giving three differently exposed images per shot : useful to me. Well, vital actually. e-pL2 does not have ISO100, nor does it have a wide dynamic range in RAW, so loses out in my way of doing things.
    We get these things back with the £900 e-P5 ... so £900 or £100 : my choice.

Put it this way : outdoors in daytime my e-pL2 is not even picked up if I've got one of the older Pens handy.
    Indoors the e-pL2 is the first thing I go for, due to the bounce flash.

20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer