I am rather frustrated with M4/3 (and other stuff as well)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by silver92b, Jun 2, 2014.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Things have gotten out of control around here. I started in digital photography with an early P&S camera that my wife bought me. I think it was a Casio.. It was a terrible thing, worse IQ than the little 110 pocket film cameras of old. Anyway, a Sony P&S followed and the cheap but fast Kodak came next. Fuji f20 P&S followed and finally I got a Nikon D60. Although just an entry level camera, the Nikon really was much better than all the other cameras and I took a lot of great pictures with it.

A friend who was a 4/3s believer, found the M43 system much to his liking and convinced me to go for it. I had a wonderful time with the EM5 and bought lots of native and adapted lenses, took great photos and had fun. Slowly (quickly actually :biggrin:), G.A.S. and the search for the perfect camera have now put me in a fine pickle... I have the EM5 and the EP5 and a good number of good lenses. Then he buys a Leica M8 (which he sells) and buys a Epson R-D1. I made the mistake of "borrowing it" from him while he got a Sony FF camera with a fixed lens and followed with a very serious case of GAS and lust for the M240...

Of course, I bought the R-D1 with a 50mm Industar and a Voigtlander 40f1.4 from him so he could buy the Leica M.. Now I love shooting with the R-D1 but of course, an old, obsolete 6mp sensor and a quirky camera have me wanting more. Of course, every time I pick up the EM5 or the EP5 I am blown away by the great ease and great IQ... Not as detailed as that Sony FF he had though.... So I bought a DP2 Merrill...

I am like totally screwed now, I don't know which way to go. I love taking pictures with the RF camera (they do come out great!). I love the detail of the shots with the DP2 M (the few that come out well). I still like to pick up the M43 cameras for their particularly consistently good photos and ease of use, but I find myself thinking that my photography hobby is suffering as I am going in so many directions at the same time... The perfect bag that is compact and light while fully loaded with all my gear does not exist either :wink:. But that is another terrible story of GAS and hoarding...

Am I the only one with this "first world problems"? Is a huge, expensive FF body with equally huge and heavy lenses the answer? Should I sell everything and get a Leica ME with one Leica lens?... I actually have 2 good size bags to carry my gear and lots of lenses and stuff stays behind.. I don't know how I got here LOL!
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Your title is misleading. From your post it seems you're not frustrated with m4/3, but your never ending quest for the next best thing.
    • Like Like x 9
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, your friend has led you on a path of addiction! :tongue:
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Sell everything.

Buy a GR.
    • Like Like x 6
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seeking photographic excellence and satisfaction in the wrong place.......

There is nothing wrong with enjoying new camera stuff... but just be honest with yourself and you wont be frustrated. I used to remind people that equipment are enablers... no more... no less.

I personally couldnt recommend the next step because gauranteed you will find fault with it eventually. I will definitely say that a few I know that have jumped into Leica head first discovered it actually became more stressful experience.... they felt pressured to show results because of the rather large investment AND felt particularly too protective as to break something. It became a distraction.

Picking a single body and shooting extensively with a single focal length just might be a healthy experiment....
    • Like Like x 1
  6. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012

i agree... misleading title.
  7. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I don't think I can let go of m43 at this time because of it's speed, and portability. Thinking I can use it for everyday for travel, and pro use if i ever need to but there is a part of me that wants to go back to FF. I now know what I need to do. Get a FF body to complement my m43 gear. m43 for street/travel, and FF just for those days where I need to get my FF fix. perfect!
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

PS... Leica ME is based on the Leica M9 using the same sensor from 2009.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
  9. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    judging by your post you should sell all your m43 gear and go Nikon D800 + Sigma 35mm and Zeiss 55mm Otus Distagon (thanks to GFFPhoto for the correction)

Want to do a wide landscape? stitch shots together for resolution that would make your eyes bleed.

prepare your iris.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think 55mm Otus Distagon...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    The whole problem is searching for the "perfect camera". It doesn't exist and no one can advise you about how to find it. These choices are entirely personal. But happily, you can easily find a good camera for whatever you're photographing.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    That is similar to my experience. Not so much the pressure to show results, but the stress as to breaking something. I enjoyed using an M9 for about 3 years. However, I knew that if I broke my Canon gear, I could have it repaired and good as new in about a week, and in the meantime I would have plenty of backups. But if anything broke with the Leica, the camera could be out of service for a month or more, and having backups is just too expensive. On top of that, the paint wears easily, so the camera seems to age faster than my Canon gear. Fortunately nothing broke. It's a beautiful camera without doubt, just not as practical as some.
  13. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I just sold all of my RF gear a few weeks ago. Lots of fun to use. The RD1 is a sweet camera and takes decent photos. Enjoy using it. Check out Camera Quest and RFF. I have settled in with my u4/3 gear and am not looking back.
  14. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    Easy m8! Sell useless and less used gear and buy a FILM Leica M3/M4 or M6/M7! You will thank me later! You will love the RF experience
  15. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    You're just suffering from gear lust. It happens, and it passes. After buying a load of lenses and bodies, I've decided the 'kit' that suits me most is comprised just of the 17mm and 45mm Zuikos, they're what gives me the most pleasurable shooting experience, and the images, well, are terrific.

I think you'll eventually come to realize that you really want to sell some stuff, not to buy more...
  16. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wait till you try film...
  17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I guess the considered group diagnosis is gear lust. There's nowt wrong with that, if you can afford it, but if you really need a cure, just down-size and enjoy using what's left to take pictures - lots of them!

Personally, u43 IQ is more than enough for me so I'm not into changing systems, but lens lust is a problem. I'm thinking I could survive with just four - 12, 25, 45 and 75. But then again, I like UWA and fisheye and a walk-around weather-sealed fast zoom is nice too :wink:
  18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    You are in a perfect situation, enjoying varied camera systems, changing, adding.
    That's how a hobby is supposed to be,
    drop the anxiety.
  19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes , sell everything and get iPhone 5S hahahah