1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I am rapidly changing to Fujifilm X

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by entropicremnants, Sep 9, 2013.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It's a miracle the poor old EPL1 ever took a decent shot with it's crippled sensor....

no sharpness.....

11459385115_70e780abd2_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_8171757-Edit.jpg by Flash Gordon Photography, on Flickr

too noisy.........

11459434494_b11d4d1abb_b.jpg

_3230085.jpg by Flash Gordon Photography, on Flickr

no weather sealing........

11459557793_ab63b6e536_b.jpg

_8181808.jpg by Flash Gordon Photography, on Flickr

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    I'm struggling between an E-PL1 or a A7R. I need help.

• Like Like x 2
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Humour noted!

Simple. Choose your lenses. Then fit a body that fits them! Or bodies! :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rooz

Rooz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Agreed. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    Yes I was wondering this too. I am not an authority on Fuji so not well placed but I am not aware of any shortcomings.

I THINK I may somewhere have heard about not quickest focusing .... this is laughable in the extreme.

I own :

Pentax K5
    Pentax K5 11
    Pentax K 200D
    Canon 500 D
    Canon G10
    Pentax Q
    Panasonic GX-1

This morning I played around in a store with a Fuji XF-1 and an X20 ... the focus speed made my jaw hit the floor - blisteringly fast and quicker than any of the above.

I bought the GX-1 to "dip my toes" in the M43 waters ..see what it's about, would I like it.

what a waste of money .. for me it has NOTHING as a format.

if I don't want the weight of a K5 then I'll take the 500D - in 'real word" terms the weight difference between this and the gX-1 are non existant, if I want smaller size I'd rather take the G10 - I just enjoy using it more. I find in terms of handling /usability the GX-1 is the worst I own / have ever handled.

I have put up my Q for sale to fund purchase of one of the Fuji's..probably start with the XF-1 - like the small size/slimness and wider wide end of zoom :0

7. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    look at the XQ1!!

I wish it had a manual zoom though

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sorry to hear that. ... what?

9. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    what to what ?

10. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    I've had (and intend to keep) a GX-1 for a little over a year, and now also purchased an X-E1 with the kit 18-55 lens (latest firmware). By comparison, Fuji is significantly slower to autofocus. After using it for a day I got used to it, but in comparison to any of the latest m43 offerings, the autofocus is BAD. When I picked up the GX-1 again I couldn't believe just how fast it was. My 1 year old is constantly on the move so AF Is important to me. However I also shoot him in low light, so even with the PL25 its tough for me to stop motion indoors in the evening when he is playing. I can do it, but the ISO gets pushed pretty high. Hence why I am trying out the Fuji. I am a lightroom user and really don't feel like switching to C1, Irrident, or Photo Ninja to get the best out of those x-trans files - something a lot of people don't take into consideration! Not sure what the verdict will be, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Judderman62, I don't know under what conditions you performed the test on the XF1 or what lens you used on your GX-1, but its tough to believe the focus was faster on the XF1

• Like Like x 2
  11. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    all down to personal perception and experience I guess. I found it equally tough to believe the stuff I've ready claiming the fuji to be slow and having just re watched chris nichols review of it he described the auto focus as "very, very quick" .. and that was on a pre production model.

I have ordered a Fuji XF-1 and should get it tomorrow :dancingparty:

to answer- lens on the GX-1 was the standard 14-42 (non motorised) kit lens and the XF-1 was just in my local Currys store focusing on various things from 3 cm away to way down the store - I was very impressed with focussing speed. Not a test I was playing around with it and just fell for it straight away - loved how it handled.

As regards M43 I kinda wish I'd maybe tried an Olympus .. really not keen on anything to do with the handling on the GX-1.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hang on a mo, XF1 is a compact with a small sensor,
    should we be discussing this as if it's related to the APS-C Fuji line?
    (I don't think so)
    Let's compare the XF1 to the XZ-whatever, LX7 and the Stylus if needs be.
    As Nikon shows with the 1-series : focusing can be speedier with smaller sensors than the general run of larger-sensor mirrorless CD-AF bodies with the real speedy exception being m4/3rds.

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I whole heartedly agree with this. And it's a good thing. If a particular camera feels wrong or that it's getting in the way then that's more important than any minor quality differences. The Fujis handle particularly well and if you shoot primes you'd be mostly pleased with the af performance.

Everyone has different performance criteria. And we're in a golen age of camera choice. If you can afford it, there's something for every one.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.