1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I am rapidly changing to Fujifilm X

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by entropicremnants, Sep 9, 2013.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    The work I've seen of yours is very good. Doesn't matter what system you use (except you probably won't be sharing your images here as often.) :frown:.

A camera is a very personal decision and what works for you, as you well know in making this decision, is the only guiding light you need. The advantages/disadvantages of any system can only be determined by you, the individual photographer.

I recently came back to m43 from Pentax. While the ultimate image quality may not be quite as good at the pixel level, it is quite good for my needs. Fuji so tempted me, and still does ...

Good luck and show us photos once in a while ...

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks ;
    Do you let it AWB or set daylight or somesuch?
    I'm happy the Fujis have ISO-bracket and low ISO too, like my favourite Olympii, that makes them a viable purchase for me.

3. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    quite simply, Fuji rocks!

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Which model are you using?

5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I got to work with the cheapo X-m1, and I loved it....

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Lucille ... U are a born photographer and I can tell u..it hardly matters what u use :drinks:

7. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

Why thank you daddy-o...

one must be willing to 'get on stage' to get the shot.. as I am here with the Sony Rx1....!

0909-1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like the cheapo bargain bodys, such as the Sony Nex 3n, the Fuju XM1, and just slap some mean glass on em and go to town!

8. lovemyoly

lovemyoly Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    OP...I'm with you. The M43 is a great little cam if you don't demand big prints. But for 13 x 19 the Fuji is much better.

But the M43 AF can kicks Fuji's ass all day and night. Fuji has very poor AF and the focus by wire is TERRIBLE.

For street use the Fuji is only good for me if I zone focus or it is crap. I still kept all my m43 gear which is very considerable. I use it for stealth that requires the absolute smallest footprint.

My current book I am working on was shot 95% with the Fuji and 5% with the M43. But the Fuji was all zone focus or I would fail with it.

9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    Anyone else found the 16-50 @ 50mm noticeable sharper @f5.6 than the 18-55mm @ 50-55mm with the same aperture? I'm mainly looking at center sharpness aand have done hand held shots with 2 different copies of each lens.

10. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Glad you found something you love. I tried to like Fuji, but the slow AF of the X-E1 turned me off. I only had to play with it for 15 sec to know it's not for me. Unless other manufacturers have something similar to 5-axis, I'm sticking with Olympus.

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

This is not true . I have printed upto B0 size with even EPL1. There is not a huge IQ diff and it's all subjective . If u feel Fuji gives u what u want then it's a very good reason to be happy and enjoy shooting .
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rooz

Rooz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    I went from Fuji to Olympus. Each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Rooz

Rooz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    There is a quantum leap of iq difference between an epl1 and any Fuji.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Depends on the processing. With raw files and Adobe processing there's not a huge difference. If you're prepared to use C1 or Irident then the gap is there. I wouldn't call it a quantum leap though.

Subject mattr also plays a roll.

Gordon

15. Rooz

Rooz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    not really. the raw output is not even comparable and at the end of the day raw output is all that matters cos whatever you can do with one file you can do with the other there is quite simply more information and more dynamic range to play with on a Fuji file. its a noticeable difference between the ep5 and the xe1/ x100s that I owned, let alone an epl1. ive shot the epl3 against my v1 and its more similar than the epl3 was to the xe1. sure if you shoot on a bright sunny day of a perfectly lit subject the differences are less, but still there.

I don't know why people even bother trying to justify the differences. why would we ? the Fuji sensor is superb and its clearly superior. IQ isn't all that matters in the decision making process. im perfectly happy, (and have done so), taking an IQ hit for all the other benefits m4/3's brings to the table.

16. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Above is the OP of this thread. "I bid you all farewell --" etc.

So, how is the 12-week-old "once I tried the cameras I was a goner" love affair going with his X-E1, X100S, "kit lens is a keeper", etc? The answer lies below.

Man, I hate to see what happens when he tries a Sony A7r! Carnage I say, carnage! :evilsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    He's still a Fuji user and in fact owns 2 bodies, except he upgraded his X-E1 to an X-E2. On the FujiXSpot site, he just put up a review for a newly acquired Zeiss 12/2.8 in X mount.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    We will have to agree to disagree. I've owned both the XE1 and EPL1. Processed through Lightroom the EPL1 holds up very well against the Xtrans sensor and the Fuji is often handily beaten by the current m43 sensors, if gour workflow revolves around Lightroom. Irident is another matter. But if the raw processor can't extract what the sensor is capable of then any extra data is worth exactly nothing. Only output matters. Not sensor capability.

The EPL1 had a very thin AA filter. It's output was noticably better than the EP1, 2 and 3 and files out of the EPL1 (and 2) have better per pixel sharpness than anything in the EP series. I haven't seen anything better per pixel until the EM1. And of course id a scene is within the dynamic range of the sensor, extra DR won't do anything except add time in PP.

Gordon

If I can't print it it may as well not be there.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rooz

Rooz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    lol its not about agreeing to disagree or not. this is not a qualitative discussion. it is a quantitative concept not only noticeable anecdotally, but measurable and demonstrable.

I cant believe you're arguing that a 2011 4/3 sensor, not renowned at all as being a benchmark of sensor capability even back then, is the equivalent of what is widely regarded, bar none, as one of the best performing sensors on the market today. it wasn't until the omd came where the m4/3 sensors really started to catch up. you should think about whether or not that makes sense or not before you go on. logic alone should guide you in the right direction. if after you seriously evaluate your argument and genuinely take a moment to process your thought pattern, you still think what you say holds water good luck to you, but understand that it is PURELY in your imagination...either that or the magical sensor pixie fairies paid your epl1 a visit. I tend to believe the former. :tongue:

im not bashing 4/3 here at all, I am heavily invested in it at the EXPENSE of the Fuji system. but facts don't change according to preference.

20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I agree on the old vs new sensor issue, and while the xtrans sensors are certainly excellent they're not massively better than MFT ones. Factor in IBIS and the maybe 1 stop of ISO performance difference is leveled out somewhat. For some subjects at least.

The contention that it is quantitatively better is one I can't get on board with purely because the only place I know of that measures these things is DxO and they don't do fuji sensors. Eyeballing is always only qualitative.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.