1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I am rapidly changing to Fujifilm X

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by entropicremnants, Sep 9, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    X-Trans detail. For the same resolution sensor, better detail extraction. Call it "acuity" if you will. Useful to me for large prints.

What worked to make it easy was excellent feel and build quality even in the "kit" lens which is a keeper.

I also like the EVF on this a lot, and I like the old-school film-camera handling. I'm old-school... I'm older than most schools actually, lol.

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Have fun in the land of Fuji! That is the only system that could tempt me away from m43.

My initial foray into digital was Fuji MX-2900 and boy could it do great pics for just a 2MB sensor.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Good luck and keep enjoying your photography, Fuji make some excellent cameras and lenses. :smile:

4. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks!

Absolutely on the "temptation". I actually have owned some of the best micro four thirds cams and they are excellent. I owned NEX and yawned. Not much out there to grab me but Fuji managed it.

Canon's EOS-M never even made me pause, lol. Nikon 1 system I read up on, but never wanted to spend the money.

Fuji wins, lol.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    John... I'm sure you'll be fine with Fuji... as with m4/3. I tried an X-E1 with 5 lenses for a very short time. I really didn't have the gear long enough to get into the groove with it before I decided to just hang in there with m4/3 for another year. (I have a LOT of lenses/bodies in m4/3).

I liked the Fuji gear enough, though, to decide to revisit the system again, perhaps middle of 2014, to consider switching over myself. The upcoming m4/3 bodies are interesting, but are unlikely to make much, if any, noticeable difference in resulting images as compared to EM5, GH3, etc. (Most of us know that the person making the images matters far more than what format that person happens to be using.)

It's the focal lengths (especially the 7-14 and 9-18), IBIS, and AF which keeps me in m4/3 for the time being. But considering how few of the many lenses I actually USE in my m4/3 system, I could certainly get along just fine with a Fuji system as well!

In the end, neither Fuji nor m4/3 make enough of a significant difference to me to force a major switch, though the slight edge is there with the larger sensor. And the great lens & body selection, IBIS, and AF is certainly there with m4/3.

I wouldn't be surprised if sometime next year I may move over to Fuji as well, except, perhaps, for keeping a GX7 or EP5 body and a couple of lenses for a minimalist m4/3 kit. We shall see.

Mid 2014 may well present a significantly modified landscape for those of us who like to shoot mirrorless, and I'm always open to any and all possibilities and would have no qualms with changing to another system.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with this switch of systems.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    But but but JOHN!

You are getting so close to 2,000 forum posts...you can't leave now!

:biggrin:

Good luck with the Fuji gear (I wish I could shake my illogical desire for an X100 or X100S!).

Best regards,

Jim

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You can't dump us, we dump you. :tongue:

You do fantastic work with those Fujis John. I'll see you on Flickr.

8. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Welcome to the land of Fuji, sold my last M4/3 lens last week, no regrets, but I just ordered the 23mm f1.4, that will bring me to 6 Fuji lenses with plans to buy two more. So I think I might let go of a couple that will see less use.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Will miss you in MFT-land, John.

I'm sort of in the opposite boat. My X100S is gathering dust while the E-PM2 and Oly 17/1.8 are getting lots of use. For me the difference is mainly in the autofocus (face recognition, touch AF), but the Fuji system shines in many ways, and I can understand why your mileage varies from mine. The 23/1.4 Bob mentioned is awfully tempting as well.

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You street photographers are a whole different breed with completely different needs than I have for my pursuit of my "art photography". The Fuji's are responsive enough for what I do shoot in terms of real-time happenings and the extraordinary IQ will work for my prints. Great match for someone like me.

Thanks Amin!

11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    John,

Are you using LR as your "acuity" measure or another program for PP?

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've owned several Fuji digital cameras and I always liked the color. I'm too deep into :43: to change but I respect those who like to try new systems. Enjoy, we'll miss you here on the forum. :cool: 

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm just a family photographer, but I guess what I have in common with a lot of street photographers is that getting the right moment trumps "IQ" for nearly all of the ones which end up mattering to me.

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Fuji JPG's, lol -- I am getting more out of them than out of Lightroom at the moment.

15. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    IMO the FUJI B+W Jpegs are nicer than anything I can do with the Fuji RAW files. They are just fantastic. It's almost sickening :biggrin:

Ive been using my X100 a lot lately and I know exactly how the OP feels. Still my G5 just works so well it is hard not to enjoying using it also, but there is something about those Fuji cameras/files.

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Personally, I can see myself straddling both m4/3 and Fuji systems. They are different enough from each other and each offer benefits that the other lacks.

I find that very wide FOV suits my imaging needs a great deal of the time. Fuji isn't there yet. The 9-18 and 7-14, along with 12-35 serve my needs quite well at present. With 17/1.8 being a good choice for street. The other m4/3 lenses that I have at present see very little use, but stand by when needed for particular applications.

When the XF 10-24 f/4 lens hits the streets, I may enter the Fuji system and begin to pare down my m4/3 gear, working toward an expanding Fuji kit and a shrinking m4/3 kit. But this will be a phase in/phase out process, not an all in/all out switch.

17. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Best of luck with the new system. I enjoyed reading your many thoughtful posts.

18. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I'll miss your images. I'd probably get a fuji myself, if I could afford it, but I'm happy with the ep 3. Cheers!

sent from Mu 4/3 mobile app

19. Likewise without wanting you to take this wrongly, I think that you're seeing the benefits of Micro 4/3 through only one facet (small is beautiful) when in fact the capabilities of the cameras and the breadth of the system still puts it ahead of what Fuji, Samsung, Sony and Canon have to offer at this time. Fast forward a couple of years to when the others might have caught up in that regard and there is still the fact that the difference in output between any of them in not so significant that it comes down to much more than personal preference.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The best camera is the one that works for you - regardless of the stats sheets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.