I am rapidly changing to Fujifilm X

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by entropicremnants, Sep 9, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Surprised myself with this but once I tried the cameras I was a goner.

My signature should show that I'm slowly losing my micro four thirds gear and will eventually have very little of it left (just the old stuff I'm keeping as "collector cameras"). I'm moving into the Fujifilm X-mount system. I already have interest in my one remaining u43 lens.

My posts here, already slowed to a trickle, will now fall away to naught.

I bid you all farewell -- though I will still see many of you on the "sister" forums of Serious Compacts and the X-Spot.

Happy Shooting!
    John

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    John,,

I always enjoyed your photos. I'll see you on the otherside(seriouscompacts, that is).

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    How do you think the 55-200 compares with m4/3 zooms?

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    just like that... good luck.

5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I'll let you know when I've done any "real" shooting with it. It's the lens I generally use very little -- just for a few things -- so we'll see.

6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Selling the GH-2?

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I don't want anyone to take this wrong, but I'm not surprised shooters of the larger m43 cameras (e.g., GH-2) are looking around. Once you've accepted a larger camera--and perhaps larger lenses too--the prime advantage of m43 becocomes a lot less valuable. It's certainly true that APS-C cameras have a lot to offer, but they'll always be hobbled by larger and heavier lenses. Once this becomes unimportant to you the advantages of other systems begin to stack up.

This is not in any way meant as a criticism, and I sincerely wish the OP the best of luck with his new system. Everyone's got to find the system that works for best, and m43 is certainly not the best for everyone.

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    John i will still follow you on Flicker, thanks for the GX1.

9. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I'm getting really tempted to move to X system as well but just holding on a little longer to see the E-X2 (or whatever is the name) to be announced.

10. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    John,

Nothing wrong with fuji colors, it gets some folks addicted for sure...good luck!

11. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes. Keeping the GH1 for some video with adapted lenses (since I manual focus anyway on video, lol) and letting the GH2 go.

12. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I found myself on Fujiland as well after my stint with m43. For no apparent reason!! Despite its faults and issues (laggy EVF, slower AF) I am really liking it.

Great to see you explore Fuji John :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

13. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I went from an OMD to a used Fuji x100 (bought from a user on here). I loved the X100 so much that I sold both and picked up an X100s.

The new OMD looks really ugly to me and right now I have no regrets. Loving everything about Fuji so far.

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Surprised that you are keeping the GH1 for video instead of the GH2...

15. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I completely agree that ultimately we all have to sort out which tools best fit our needs. Believe me, I was an OM-D fanatic and argued constantly with my sister, trying to convince her to switch from a Nikon APS-C to Olympus. What happened instead was that she convinced me to try the Fuji X system. Their prime lenses are well-built and really not that much bigger than most Panny lenses (which tend to be bigger than Olympus lenses) in spite having larger max apertures. The standard zoom though variable in aperture is pretty small and has outstanding IQ and OIS in spite being a 'kit' lens. And it seems slightly amaller than the 12-35. Yes, the telephoto zoom is undeniably sizable but its moderately fast aperture plus the 1.5 crop sensor translates into fantastic bokeh, a feat yet to be achieved with micro four thirds past the 100mm mark (at least until the 150/2.8 and 40-150/2.8 come out).

So, I carry around 4-5 lenses at a time which almost always includes the 55-200 and yet my shoulder never once noticed the weight.

Just my 2 cents.

16. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Well, I did a documentary with just the GH1 and I can use it. Since I don't do a LOT of that work, and since I can use the X-E1 for much of what I do I'm covered either way. The GH1 with hacked firmware is very, very good for video.

17. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I do agree with all you said. I won't be carrying that many lenses, but keeping the kit light is a worthy goal and the quality is there in the Fuji's in many ways.

For all that: I can do / have done my work successfully with micro four thirds and I have no regrets about using it. The Fuji's are just enough of step up in so many areas that I can't resist them.

O'! That "siren song" which lures bank accounts to their death!

18. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    There's less lenses in Fuji so there's less GAS :happy-084: They even provide you with a roadmap for your GAS too.:tongue:

19. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Wow, now how cool is that?

I mean, think about it: it's the "undiscovered country" of financial planning. Most financial planners help you plan for your future PROSPERITY. But really -- considering the times -- isn't a more needed service one that shows you how to plan your future POVERTY?...

Yes, sir, Fuji has a mighty good idea there, yep... :biggrin:

20. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    John - what was the clincher feature that pushed you over to the Fuji?