I am proud of my wife. She received her Masters designation

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
We have traveled all over Europe many times. Each time, my wife has photographed the beauty which is Europe. Some of her images have been entered into the Professional Photographers of America image competition. She has also attended seminars to improve her technique. In addition, she has taught photography at our city-funded art studio and at privately-owned art studios. She has owned her professional photo studio where she printed for photographers nationally really big enlargements as big as 40" wide by up to 120 feet long. She also has had her own studio for years and because of her work schedules, she has not been able to enter her images every year but this year, she needed one photo to get a merit award to reach her personal goal of achieving the designation of Master of Photography from Professional Photographers of America. She got that merit and in January she will receive her award and designation in the annual meeting in the DC area.
I am proud of her tenacity. Even though the designation will not change how she photographs or change her habits which demands that the lighting on her photos is the best she can do. Here are some of her merit images with the last one being of two young ladies who are sisters taken in her studio with the special lighting. The first merit print is Maria Gern Church near Berchtesgaden, Germany, the next is a boat ride salesman in Prague, next is a beggar on the Charles Bridge late at night, then the roofs of Sighisoara, Romania from our hotel, the next one is a storm approaching Prague castle, then Cesky Krumlov in winter and finally the image that put her over the top---two sisters exchanging a snicker. She entitled it "Did I just snort?"

bavarian-chapel-2007.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
did-i-miss-the-boat-2007.jpg
invisible-2008.jpg
sunrise-on-history-2007.jpg
touched-by-the-light-2008.jpg
window-on-history-2007.jpg
Did I Just Snort.jpg

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
We try not to give her a big head but she is far better as a photographer than I will ever be. She was a newspaper photographer for a medium daily paper when we met and she won some national awards for coverage of a big train derailment and fire, of a series of the State Penitentiary, and for the campaign in her state of one of the Presidential candidates in the past. She really is an expert in photoshop and has often been called by other photogs to salvage an image by extreme editing. I don't understand the programs she uses and I only know the rudimentary Lightroom editing. I have learned over the years when driving with her as a passenger that I stop when she says stop here because she hops out with a camera at something she only has seen. I have accompanied her lately for most of the night as she follows her new passion---astrophotography---mainly the milky way. I just go with her, generally with our dogs to the hinterlands where she uses an app to see where the best shot will be and at what time and we just wait. It sounds as if she is not considerate of my time but that is far from true. I often have to tell her that I am fine with waiting a little longer or driving a little further for the shot she wants.

Mainly, she gets an idea in her head, plans the shot and location, and then we go to where she wants and she gets the shot she wants. Ask me about sitting in the green hills of Kansas for the perfect light so she can get the picture of a ballerina in a tutu with long streams of tulle blowing in the wind with her giving hand directions to the model. She shoots portraits of people of power including our Supreme Court justices being sworn in, the entire 26 judges in our State District area, and a bunch of lawyers at their awards banquets and she controls the situation and the subjects love that she will make them as good as they can be.

Yep, I am proud of that woman.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
We have traveled all over Europe many times. Each time, my wife has photographed the beauty which is Europe. Some of her images have been entered into the Professional Photographers of America image competition. She has also attended seminars to improve her technique. In addition, she has taught photography at our city-funded art studio and at privately-owned art studios. She has owned her professional photo studio where she printed for photographers nationally really big enlargements as big as 40" wide by up to 120 feet long. She also has had her own studio for years and because of her work schedules, she has not been able to enter her images every year but this year, she needed one photo to get a merit award to reach her personal goal of achieving the designation of Master of Photography from Professional Photographers of America. She got that merit and in January she will receive her award and designation in the annual meeting in the DC area.
I am proud of her tenacity. Even though the designation will not change how she photographs or change her habits which demands that the lighting on her photos is the best she can do. Here are some of her merit images with the last one being of two young ladies who are sisters taken in her studio with the special lighting. The first merit print is Maria Gern Church near Berchtesgaden, Germany, the next is a boat ride salesman in Prague, next is a beggar on the Charles Bridge late at night, then the roofs of Sighisoara, Romania from our hotel, the next one is a storm approaching Prague castle, then Cesky Krumlov in winter and finally the image that put her over the top---two sisters exchanging a snicker. She entitled it "Did I just snort?"

View attachment 907905 View attachment 907906 View attachment 907907 View attachment 907908 View attachment 907909 View attachment 907910 View attachment 907911

You have every reason to be proud of her.

Shots 1 and 2 are my favourites.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It is HARD to get an advanced degree, once you are working.
Not to be the Debbie Downer of the thread and I am sure it was an accomplishment. However this is not an advanced "master's" degree but instead a "Master of Photography" designation from an industry group for professional photographers which is essentially a merit badge kind of thing. You can probably use it on your professional profiles to promote yourself and stuff like that.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
It is not a degree, it is a recognition that she has garnered enough merit prints or loan prints as judged by her peers. She has her own educational degrees but this is important to her since it is a judgment by those she respects. I am proud of her no matter how insignificant this might seem to others. She has proven her ability by her successful photography over the years which has paid for many trips overseas. I am still proud and not down with debbie.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Every photo has distinct atmosphere or captures a particular mood or a special moment.

Third photo is one of the rare occasions I don't mind heavy cropping. It's obviously cropped and the obviousness of it is fitting.

Congratulations on the awards, they seem fitting as well.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Remarkable shots and no doubt a remarkable woman.
I'm pretty sure many people can obtain a degree in photography after studying for three years or so.
That doesn't guarantee that you're a good photographer or can make your way in the professional world.
You have every right to be very proud of her for all of her achievements.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom