I Am Paralyzed: Fight or Flight - Legacy Telephoto

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nueces snapper, Feb 14, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I am a ranch manager on a 20k acre ranch in deep SW Tejas. We have three miles of live ( kinda running [of late] ) water. ie bird and wildlife central. I enjoy shooting wildlife and obviously have abundant opportunities. :smile:

My photography urge is high these days. It ebbs and flows if you know what I mean. It's been slowly building last couple of years and if past performance is an indication I will get a couple years out of this 'photo maximum'. Plus my times of changes are behind me and I may stay with this job and this location till I croak. I'm 62. I'm over 20 miles from the nearest wide spot in the road and 4 hours from a city. What else am I gonna do out here besides work, hunt, fish and photo? :cloud-9-039:

So much for the intro. I really like m4/3 and will likely stay with it. But my history is one of changing formats, tools, and approach readily in response to the quarry. Right now I need long glass for the critters.

Lately I have been bugging resident denizens by PM who are doing amazing work with m4/3 and big legacy telephotos to get their perspective on the genre. I spent two days immersing myself in the market place and am ready to strike at a moments notice. $2K? Phaa! You can't take it with you and I am footloose and fancy free. Kindasortamostly. :thumbup:

But something is not letting me pull the trigger. I already have figured out that it is a safer bet to invest in a better example of the required lens: Canikon 400mm or 500mm manual focus so that in the event the bottom drops out of my wanna, I can sell it easily. Or say I get so into it I decide to sell my boat and buy a Nikon D800 and 600mm AF lens to go with it. :biggrin:

Part of what has me treading water is my fear that I won't be able to focus the old stove pipe. I understand telephoto photography. Heavy Gitzo, gimbal head and patience already in the garage. Some experience banked.

The other thing hesitating my mind I guess is the unknown. What am I missing? Although given my plan to buy a good piece that I can remarket with most likely only the hassle of fleabay ... PITA that it is ... still I feel I must be overlooking .... something. :confused:

For anybody wanting to chime in: I'm pretty sure 400mm is enough for me. I have my ways of getting pretty close to our fauna out here. Also I've already decided that if a m4/3 shooter wants to go this route it is a waste of time to mess with any legacy glass of the second or third order ... given my readiness to risk capital and having no great care as to cost . ( Before you judge me know that I spend money on living rather than health insurance and yes I know that this may kill me. Meh! ) i.e. I'm not of the 1%. :cool:

As an aside: I wonder if legacy telephoto shooting with m4/3 cameras might deserve its own niche somewhere hereabouts ?

2. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

Give the Canon FDn 300 f2.8L + the 1.4X FD convertor a try. I think the flourite elements offer some advantages for MFT shooting. I see clean examples < $1K often.

If you are really itchy to stimulate the economy (someone's economy) the Leica Telyt 280mm F4 APO and matching APO converter can be acquired. . .as they say: "if you have to ask how much you aren't really in the market".

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    You have the Oly 75-300. How is that working (or not) for you at 300mm in the use case you have for a telephoto?

4. nueces snapper

Check my gallery shots. Just messing about and practicing but it gives you an idea. :smile:

600 mm is enough but f/6.7 is decidedly not.

5. nueces snapper

Yes. I have seen several Telyt offerings that are very tempting but that narrow barrel and their tall f stops warrant caution. :smile: They sure look good though.

6. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I dunno 280mm or even the 250mm at F4 isn't that bad, specially for the size. Plus in my experience with a f3.5 at 210mm with birds, it can sometimes be hard to get them in sharp focus, specially if they are in flight. It's a bit easier to get a sharper shot at f5.6 or even f4.5 imho. But, then again I am shooting in day light/full brightness.