I am now zoom-free

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Just sold off the last of my zoom lenses (Pana 7-14, 14-42, 14-45, 14-140, and 45-200), and I'm now working with the trio of Pana primes: 14, 20, and 45.

Anyone else sans zoom?

2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi Amin

I was prime only with my 5D, which I sold last week. I had previously owned a 17-40, 70-200 and 28-75. I enjoyed some aspects of my zooms, but honestly enjoy the way primes make me think about my photography, and the distinctive tone each prime brings to the game. My Canon EF 50 / 1.4 is a wonderful lens.

For my GF1 I have the 20 and 14-45. I like the IQ of the latter, but not much else about it. My preferred set-up would be exactly what you have, or the equivalent to match another camera (e.g. Sony).

I am just working through deciding whether to stay with M4/3. If I do, I will be joining you...

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I am in "Prime Time" also, with both my FF cameras and ยต4/3. (I still have kept my zooms for the occasions when I need/desire to travel light - 1 zoom = 2 primes).

G

• Like Like x 2
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Love having your participation on this board. Hope you keep a foot in MFT camp!

When looking at other systems, one of the main things that keeps me with MFT is the lens rendering. I just don't see another maker with a compact autofocus prime lineup that delivers the same combination of sharpness, smooth bokeh (referring to quality not amount of blur), and lack of color fringing (in my workflow with a Pana RAW files processed in Lightroom 3.3) that my current Pana primes give me.

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have not used a zoom since 1982.

• Like Like x 6
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... I never used a zoom until 2004.

G

• Like Like x 5
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't know if I should be catching up or slowing down...

• Like Like x 1
  8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Well....I can see I'm destined to be one step behind the curve:

When Streetshooter decided to get out of MFT, I bought his GF1.

When Amin decided to get out of zooms, I bought his 14-140.

If anyone decides to get out of macro, please let me know so I can bid on your Pan/Leica 45!

:)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    :rofl:

10. bullmrkt

bullmrkt Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2011
    I am almost all primes. I have a GH2 and use a Voigtlander Nokton 25mm most of the time. I also have 1958 Leica 50mm f/2.8 and 90mm f/4. I use the Nokton probably 90% of the time, the IQ is off the charts and the speed makes it so flexible. The GH2 really makes these lenses easy to use as well.

I'm hanging on to the 14-140mm zoom because its my only auto and I think it will be a really good all around lens on my honeymoon to the Mediterranean this September. That extra reach comes in handy, as well as less bulk while walking around...although it is by far my biggest lens!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Which zoom hurt the most to get rid of?

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    You make it sound like you got over an addiction, Amin. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I just have the 20/1.7 as my "kit/autofocus" lens and some legacy primes (40, 50, 135).

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The 14-45 hurt the most because it performs so well and is relatively compact. When I put it next to a rangefinder lens and think about the fact that it is like having sharp 28, 35, 50, 75, and 90mm lenses in something that small and inexpensive, I have to marvel.

The 7-14 hurt a little because it is so good, but I hardly ever want to shoot that wide, so it wasn't that hard to say goodbye.

• Like Like x 1
  15. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    all primes here too
    panny 20/1.7
    nokton 50/1.1
    canon ssc 85/1.2
    hexanon 200/4

and a so far creeky, but reliable zoom (adapter)
    zoom(v) : to use legs to move closer to subject

S

• Like Like x 1
  16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    You're braver than I am. I still can't get rid of my zooms. I'm using a 9-18, 20 and 45 as my walk around kit. And I just use my 45-200 too much to not keep it.

In fact I'm going to get a 100-300 and the mythical "fast zoom" if it ever arrives.

But I am going all prime on my 35mm kit. Does that count?

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm almost there, but I'd have trouble giving up that 14-45. Partly because I went through a lot to get it and partly because it is such a nice lens for what it is.

I'll have to think on that sensei.

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Amin
    I am trying to avoid too much focus on gear, which can lead to always waiting for the best camera etc.

At the same time, I want to simplify. I like my GF1 very much, and am very pleased (if not always delighted) by the IQ. I certainly agree with you about the lenses. There are some characteristics other lenses bring that I enjoy, but overall, I am very happy with the performance, and size / weight of M4/3 primes. In fact, that is probably understating things - the lenses really are very good.

The thing that has held me back is, oddly enough, the GF2. I am disappointed at the removal of manual controls. This may mean, over time, I do not have an additional body / upgrade path that meets my preferences as a shooter.

Some months ago I bought an EP2 to check out the Olympus system, but found the interface (combination of controls, menus and options) less well thought out and less effective than those for Panasonic. For shooting with primes, with what I like to shoot, the IBIS offered no tangible advantage.

So I would very much like to invest in a 14 and a 45. But Panasonic has indicated a direction for their small cameras which does not meet my needs.

Apparently the G3 is coming soon. While not a small (GF) size body, it may indicate Panasonic's thinking (or what I would call lack of thinking).

There is also talk that the Nex 7 will have better controls - I find those on the 3 and 5 ineffective. But that would mean giving up the M4/3 primes.

Frustrating. But, I have sold off my 5D so need to make a decision soon so I can spend time making photographs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    Agree with you. I am not free of the zoom thing (just got the amazing Oly 40-150) but I was too much focused in gear, maybe because photography is just so new to me. Now that I am covered (14-42 and 40-150, along with the 17), I am now free to practice more and more.

Maybe someday I will be enlightened and be a prime guy :smile:

20. With the exception of the occasional use of a couple of 4/3 zooms (Zuiko 9-18mm and the monster Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5) my E-P1 uses primes only: the 17/2.8 and a variety of MF lenses. On my Canon there are too many good zooms not to use them, particularly for travelling (17-55mm f2.8, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f4).

• Like Like x 2