1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I am now 100% m4/3rds (sold off my Canon)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by noohoggin1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    It's kind of a shock, quite frankly--I'm not sure it's all sunken in yet. But I finally did it: I sold off my Canon gear today, and also picked up a new 75mm/1.8 (OMG) with some of those funds.

I had a 5D body, 7D body (that I sold a couple months ago to fund the OMD-EM5), 50mm/1.4 prime, 24-70mm 2.8L (my workhorse lens), and a 70-200 2.8 L IS.

Now I have:
    Bodies- OMD and EPL5
    Lenses- O14-42, P14, P20, O45, O60, O75, P45-200
    I would like to get the PL25, but whatever...soon I guess.

As a working photographer (who has a couple booked shoots this week), this is an intimidating move. Not that I don't think my Oly set can do the job (otherwise I wouldn't have switched systems), but 2 things come to mind:

1) The support for Olympus isn't even in the same league as Canon in the unfortunate situation that something goes wrong. I was under the Canon CPS membership thing, and they do take care of their guys. Granted, I do have the EPL5 as backup, but would rather not have to resort to it if possible while waiting who-knows-how-long to get the main OMD serviced.

2) Client perception. Now we all know (or should know) that the gear doesn't matter, it's the final product, yadda-yadda-yadda....but this is a real phenomenon for working photographers. How to remedy this? I just bought a used OMD grip off of a member here to make my camera appear bigger (size matters in the eyes of the layperson), and will be putting on/getting hoods for most of my lenses for assignments. ALSO, in the case that I do have to resort to my EPL5, I will be getting a Hoodman LCD Loupe to attach to the back LCD. This is for two reasons: (1) I can attach a Cybersync transmitter for off-camera flash while still using a "viewfinder" via the Hoodman Loupe, and (2) to the layperson/client, the odd setup may look a touch more professional rather than just composing at the LCD screen and tapping like a point-n-shoot. At the very least, it will look more confusing to them :wink:

For those wondering why I switched, I was simply tired of the bulk/weight of my Canon rig, especially when travelling. Let me also say that I have absolutely no complaints with the quality of the images I was able to get out of my Canon. I now feel that micro four thirds has come into its own image quality and lens quality wise, and I couldn't be happier to be able to finally have a camera on me at all times and sacrificing barely image quality. Getting more into street shooting than my typical portrait/commercial work also helps.

That is all...just wanted to release; no questions here. :) Looking forward to the new phase. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 8
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome aboard! As someone who will never earn a dime from photography (unless I sell all my gear) I am impressed that a working pro jumps systems so completely. Says a lot about what can be achieved with m4/3 format.

• Like Like x 2
  3. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Thanks, Demiro, I appreciate the support! :)

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Well done. I'm not completely working with m4/3, but it is my only AF system.

As for perception. Stick a flash on the EM5. That seems to sort out any issues. And if your camera is black, all the better. So far in the 2 years I've been shooting "compact" cameras full time no one has had an issue with the cameras.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  5. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    lol that's a great idea, the flash on the EM5! I will do that in situations when I don't need the wireless flash trigger. :)

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol .. If u really want to intimidate ur clients then get 4/3 Oly 14-54 mm II with adaptor n stick in front of ur OMD. Add grip n suddenly OMD looks a damn serious camera .
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Me too.

I sent off the last of my canon gear a week ago. Has 60d, 7d and around 7 lenses, 4 flashes, ste2 - all gone. Sold the 60d and a couple of lenses first to get the OMD and then couldn't stand the weight of the 7d and knew I wouldn't be picking it up anytime soon.

Still working on my lens line up but will get that sorted soon.

Lots of stories like these.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Wow, brave; good.

I've been using m4/3 exclusively for a couple months...though I've yet to sell any of my Canon gear.

I should sell it soon, need to pay for the new Panasonic system :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Welcome to the club Tom! When I finally sold off all my Canon gear it took me some time to adjust to the idea of not having it even though it just sat around my office for a couple of months.

When I switched there was no OMD or GH3. Any particular reason you switched to the OMD over the GH3?

Have fun and happy shooting!

• Like Like x 2
  10. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm close to letting go, I hope... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Great for you Tom!

As I see you're doing mainly portrait photography (great portfolio BTW!). I have found out that a smaller camera looks less intimidating, esp. for less experienced models. The grip is a good idea though (and it's very practical).

I had a single one "complaint" concerning camera size, and that was for an assignment job at club shooting ("club owners/customers want to see large cameras").

• Like Like x 1
  12. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    that is true, another option I suppose!

13. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom

Very cool, what do you have for lenses now?

14. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom

When I had my Canon gear (as I started to tip toe into micro 4/3rds with the EPM1), I found that I never took it outside the house for personal photography. It always stayed in the home while it was so much easier to take out the EPM1.

That's what started it.... and it sounds like you're getting there! :wink:

15. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Thanks Giulio-- always comforting to hear from a fellow pro who's made the switch and has been successful with it and spreading the word.

I switched to the OMD because I was already familiar with the Oly interface (having come from the EPM1), and that it had IBIS and was smaller than the GH3 (remember, although I want to look "bigger" in front of clients, my main priority is size, relatively). Plus, I'm not much of a video guy, so I felt that my money would be wasted on the GH3 if I didn't utilize it to its full capability.

Do you still work with the OMD? Down the line I may pick your brains as I enter this new phase; you seem to have it all ironed out. Best to you..!

Tom

16. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom

Thanks so much for the kind words; yes, the small size will help I think. I think it will help more when I document my next trip to Vietnam. Last year when I went, it really was the thing that pushed me over the edge to micro 4/3rds--having to carry all that DSLR equipment overseas, and then pointing it at strangers LOL

As for the grip, I know I will need it. I already have 2 batteries, but this OMD is chewing up battery life a little faster than I'm used to. I will have to get a third backup for peace of mind.

Take care

• Like Like x 1
  17. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Have you installed the latest firmware? Battery life is a tad better with it. I shot ~1000 photos yesterday in a club concert (most of them in burst mode, to be fair) and not even used whole first (grip) battery. I could probably do a whole 4 hour festival with two batteries, now that I think about it.

Check aftermarket batteries also, they are quite good now and you save a lot vs the extortionist Olympus prices.

• Like Like x 1
  18. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Good thinking...I just checked now and I indeed have the latest v1.5 firmware. :( Hmm...I will check out those 3rd market batteries though...do you use them?

19. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Yes, I have a pair of aftermarket batteries (not the latest ones, which have better duration, I hear). They came with their own charger (these cannot be charged on the original) plus a car adapter. Their charger does charge the original battery though. Cost at about 25 euro, duration ~80-85% of the original. Not a bad deal at all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes, I'm getting close...

Depending on your viewpoint I either took the easiest path or the more difficult one, but I jumped into m4/3 with both feet, with my eyes focused on replacing my Canon dSLR gear.

My hesitance to sell my Canon stuff has nothing to do with any great affection for the cameras (maybe a little for the L lenses), but I want to be sure I don’t receive any negative feedback from editors regarding the files I submit. As long as I do my part I’m confident the images should be fine, I just want to be sure. Fifteen years using Canon SLRs, film & digital, is a while.

• Like Like x 1