I am not convinced...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rklepper, Jul 14, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    ...that 2 out of 5 is good.

So I love my 12-35 and my 35-100. That is about where it ends. The 7-14 has the crazy purple blobs and so I never use it. The 25 rattlesnakes and so I never use it. The 100-300 pretty well sucks under most conditions so I never hardly use it.

I find myself traveling with just the two lenses and everything else stays at home as I find them bordering on unusable. I am so glad that I didn't sell my 5DIII and lenses. Say what you will, they just give me what I need.

I may just keep the 2 good lenses as a travel kit and get rid of the rest.

I have been shooting for 50+ years and never had so many issues with any "system"

2. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    I guess your m34 lenses just don't work with 5Diii

My guess is that if you were to attach your lenses to a m4/3 body that costs even half of what your 5Diii retailed for you might be somewhat more convinced.:confused:

3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Which body might that be? And that would take care of the rattlesnaking and the purple blobs?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have had 3 copies of the PL25 on an EPL5 and an OMD. None of the rattelsnaked. Do you have the latest firmware on both body and lens?

I've had 3 copies of the P100-300. All of them great. Generally, I don't use IS, so I would shoot only at 1/640+. If the light levels were not there by a stop or two, I would use the Lens IS. If the light levels were really not there, well, that's not the place for the P100-300.

The P7-14 purple issue is a big reason I stick with the O9-18.

Having said that, I have downscaled my m43 system to travel status, and my 6D is my main system. I think they are complimentary.

One last thought -- you've got two superlative zooms there. Maybe you don't need the other lenses??

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I checked your gear list -- it says OMD. You are using the best m43 body available. Not sure what else you could use.

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Unusable? Wow, that's harsh. I must have much, much lower standards than you. And to be truthful, I'm just shoot for fun, and fully acknowledge I'm not very good at it.

Have you tried the 12mm? How about the 75mm, which is supposed to be great? There might be something there that meets your criteria.

7. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I was just thinking how much I like the system compared to the nikon and canon systems I've owned.

My opinion. Don't waste your time with stuff you don't like.
    No matter the reason.

8. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I think you are right. I get along quite well with just the two lenses traveling. Perhaps that is just what I need to do.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure what you are looking for with this thread, Doc. If you find the lenses "unusable" then there doesn't seem much point in holding onto them. Are you looking for someone to try to convince you to keep them?

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

10. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Couple things, why would rattlesnaking cause you to not use the 25, it only happens when light levels rapidly change (ie panning froma bright scene to a shadowy one) really seems silly to dismiss a lens over that.

Secondly the 100-300 is a consumer long zoom and performs like 90% of other long zooms for other systems, that is: long end is a liitle soft, and you need to stop down throughout the range a stop to get best results. If you were expecting something else when you bought it, then my question is... Why?

Finally you are using all panasonic lenses, while they are part of the same system as the om-d I still find out of camera results with all (except maybe the 25) is better with my GH3 than my OM-D. Panasonic doesn't seem to really put much effort into CA correction when designing lenses, they instead do CA removal in camera.

11. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the 7-14mm in terms of image quality -- it's one of the best mu-43 lenses available. The problem is with a design decision by Sony that creates excessive reflection back from the lens. You can get the purple blobs with almost any lens on an E-M5 as Gary Ayala has demonstrated -- but he used them in composition which is pretty cool. Takes lemons, makes lemonade.

Rattling is nothing more than an overly enthusiastic control of the diaphragm mechanism that usually occurs with Panasonic lenses on Oly bodies. No effect on photos.

There were three reasons I went to a Panasonic G5 and sold my E-m5, good as it was:

1. I shoot ultrawide a LOT, and the 7-14mm problem on the Oly is untenable.

2. The G5 handles better for me. Way better in fact for my purposes.

3. The G5's IQ is near-as-makes-no-matter for the sizes I print. I don't do billboards. The biggest shot I have printed from my E-M5 is 24x36 inches and I'd happily make a print from the G5.

The E-M5 is a groundbreaking camera -- but that sensor is a huge problem for people like me and apparently you as well -- but don't blame the lens as it is innocent.

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I think it's interesting that all of your lenses are Panasonic, and your body is an Olympus. One thing that does seem to be a problem with the Micro 4/3 system is that the interoperability between Panasonic lenses and the Olympus OM-D in particular, is not what it should be - we hear about all sorts of these issues - purple blobs on the 7-14, banding with the 20mm, etc.

I will say this - Many of these issues MIGHT be the fault of the OM-D - since they don't seem to exist with other bodies. Although, probably the issue with the 100-300 is that it's simply not a great lens. I do think that Panasonic should offer an official UV filter fix on the 7-14, since that has been well documented to solve the purple blob issue.

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    My PL25 does not rattlesnake on my E-M5.

14. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Mount it, point at a bright light, then a dark spot. I found that mine didn't usually rattlesnake much in regular use but it was easy to force it to rattlesnake if I wanted. Its a pure design/software thing so I would be very surprised if yours didn't.

15. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A possible composition?

Anyone out there have a picture of a rattlesnake taken with a Panasonic PL25 mounted on an E-M5?
    Just askin'...:tongue:
    Dan

16. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I would dump the EM-5 and get the GH3 , its about the same size when the grip is fitted to the EM-5 and still smaller than the Canon 5 thing

17. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The 7-14 simply DOESN'T have a problem. There's nothing to fix. The problem which has been determined is in the Oly body.

There is no purple blob problem with any of the Panasonic sensors either in the Oly or in the Panasonic bodies prior to the E-M5. Interestingly, the GH3 now has purple blob problem but it IS the sensor!

Why in the world would Panasonic offer a "fix" for somebody else's bad judgement?

18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The GH3 gives purple blobs also. Same problem sensor as the E-M5 apparently. The GH2 and G5 do NOT.

19. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not really true. Whereas with the OM-D you need to really try and avoid getting purple blobs, with the GH3 you need to try and force them. Even then it is not to the same degree. I took about a dozen comparison shots indoors with bright light coming in from multiple windows. 90% of the OM-D shots had bad purple blobs or flare, there was only 2 or 3 GH3 shots that had anything close, and they were more flare than blobs and pretty easily removed/minimized in PP.

*edit: I shot a few times with bright mid day sun just out of the frameto force flare and did get a blob or two but they were whitish not purple and it was a pretty extreme test for a ultra wide. .

20. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Interesting then -- what do you think is different? Are you talking other lenses or with the 7-14? My understanding was that with the 7-14mm it was still a big problem on the GH3. Gary Ayala teases purple blobs out of the 35-100mm which shows just how universal it is.

It was a local fellow (Jay Loden) with a GH3 that told me it does it also.

But it's still the camera and not the lens.

My point is that there is nothing for Panasonic to fix in the lens since all ultrawide have problems with reflection, but the 7-14mm doesn't on Oly or Panny bodies without that sensor.