1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I am new to this forum

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by djd256, Mar 1, 2013.

1. djd256

djd256 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    I sold all my DSLR gear/lenses and have no desire to go back to a DSLR set up again.
    I have been thinking about buying m4/3 on and off for the last several months. Very nearly bought a E-PM2 then considered a GX1 strongly.I know the OMD EM is a well regarded camera but I'd invest more into lenses and cheaper body.
    My budget is around 800$.
    Any suggestions.Thank you.

2. djd256

djd256 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Maybe $ 1000...

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Here are my suggestions:

If you need a viewfinder, a G3 is an incredibly good deal roughly $300 with the kit lens and then either pick up the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 or the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 depending on whether you prefer the normal or the short telephoto.

Without the viewfinder, the GX1 is the best deal there is right now and you could do the same as above with the lenses.

The E-PM2 gives you about a stop better noise control, a stop better dynamic range, and IBIS at the cost of fewer physical controls and less cash for lenses. But depending on your needs, a straight E-PM2 body with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 attached would give you a superb lens and a superb sensor. Or if you wanted a zoom, the Olympus 12-50mm would fill that gap rather nicely, too. A bit slow at the long end, but weather-sealed and surprisingly good macro ability.

Personally, I'd probably go with the E-PM2 and the lone 20mm, myself.

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Whatever body you buy it's disposable, lol -- I consider bodies "consumables" and lenses "capital investments".

My first experience with micro four thirds was years ago with my daughters G1 which impressed the hell out of me but I was heavily into Nikon at the time.

What "tipped" me into selling all my DSLR's was the E-M5. What I like about the Olympus bodies is the IBIS which means all those wonderful unstabilized primes are stabilized on those bodies.

My personal kit is an OM-D E-M5 as the main, and an E-PL5 as my second or back-up body (I shoot two cameras at live events). I love both and think the E-PL5 is just amazing although the E-M5's stabilizer is nothing short of big mojo. It's amazing.

But I'm not a brand partisan: if you handed me a G5 and said, "Shoot this or nothing!" -- I'd take it with a genuine smile and go make great photos.

5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    With that budget, I probably buy either a GX1 or G3 and a Panasonic 14mm f2.5, an Olympus 45mm f1.8, and then maybe a Sigma 19mm f2.8 or 30mm f2.8. Solid image quality on both of those bodies, and a solid range of good prime lenses.

Good luck with your choice. If you have any more specific questions, be sure to post them, and we will be glad to help. :)

6. djd256

djd256 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Thanks for all suggestions...

7. djd256

djd256 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    I 've narrowed my camera choices down to the (not in any particular order) :

1. G5 (body) + 20mm/1.7 + custom + shipping $915
    2. G3 (body) + 45mm/1.8 + custom + shipping $710
    3.GX1 (body) + 20mm/1.7 + LVF2+cust. + shipp $915
    4.EPM2(body)+ 20mm/1.7 + VF3 + cust. + shipp $915

Please help.Thank you

8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    A few questions to ask yourself:

How important is the EVF to you in normal use? If it is, (and coming from DSLR gear I'm guessing it will be) then drop option 3. With the EVF on the GX1 doesn't have any advantage over the G series and it's not as compact as them with it attached.

Between 1 & 2, which focal length would be better for you? I can't imagine a 45 as my only lens, but that's me.

How important is IBIS? Do you have legacy glass you want to use? Is the Oly 75 a lens you'll probably want in the future?

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go with the G3, P20 and P14 (which can be found on e-bay for about $180) and look for a Konica 40mm 1.8 pancake, typically around $50-60. Or the P14-42mm zoom is easy to find used for $80 or so.
    That gives you a good core of lenses and you can start saving for the next body. :smile:

9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I would recommend getting option 1 or option 2 with a Panasonic 14mm from Ebay.
    Option 1 will give you the best body and a great lens.
    Option 2 with the addition of the 14mm will give you wide and short telephoto for the same price attached to a decent body.

The two small camera with the EVF are less attractive at this price point.