I am new to EP 2!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by nishendu, Jun 22, 2010.

1. nishendu

nishendu Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    This sems to be the most informative place full of nice people!. Thanks for letting me in.
    I do have a question. I own EP 2. A friend of mine has offered to let me borrow Olympus 50-200 lens ( Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 Digital ED SWD Lens for Olympus Digital SLR Cameras) to be used with MM-2 attachment. I was wating for the new micro four third lens (42-150). I am not very experienced with this camera, just wondering if it is possible to use this expensive lens on my Alaska trip with family. I don't think the new 42-150 is out yet.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome nishendu and thank you for joining the site and introducing yourself here!:biggrin:

I suggest that you might want to copy the part of your post regarding the lens question and post a new thread in the Adapted Lens forum, after you've taken a look at the "stickies" there. Sometimes there can be issues with the auto focus, etc., when using adapted lenses. I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable about these lens, so I can't offer any advice. It's possible someone who can will post here but in case they don't - the Adapted Lens forum is the place to pursue this.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the 50-200 is a superb lens....

....but it is big (especially zoomed out) and quite heavy and will be very unwieldy to try and hand hold on a e-p2.

[​IMG]

With a tripod it might be workable, but only if you have the tripod collar for the lens.

There were i believe 2 versions of this lens, the later one having improved autofocus. Autofocus will be slower on the E-p2 because it will use Contrast detection as opposed to the Phase detection you get on a full 4/3 body.

I dont have the proper adapter so I haven't tried the AF on the E-P1

hope this helps

Kevin

• Like Like x 4
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome nishendu. I endorse Kevin's comments about the 50-200. It will be slow to autofocus but the image quality will be very good. Make sure you support the lens more than the camera - a two handed approach.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    it is an amazing lens - these shots were taken on a Oly 510

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. nishendu

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I think I will wait for the new lens whenever it is available. I am not sure if I want to use such a big lens with a small camera!

• Like Like x 2
  7. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Newer lens?
    - m43 tele zoom lens much smaller then above? With same IQ? Unlikely...
    - collection of non-(m)43 lenses is pretty matured over the years

So don't expect miracles to happen any time soon

Oh, If I am correct picture of camere above has hood attached, light plastic, you don't need to bring, you might be able to store it arround the same lens (to be confirmed).

Welcome here and enjoy surfing arround

8. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome here !

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello and Welcome nishendu :friends:

The ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 is a superb lens for 4/3rds, but now the mZD 14-150mm f4-5.6 and Lumix 45-200mm f4-5.6 are available these are much better balanced options for your E-P2.

I've been running an experience diary for the mZD 14-150mm here, and below is an image taken with the ZD 50-200mm on the E-PL1.

E-PL1 + ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5
    1/500s f/8.0 at 200.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

If you wanted even more reach, in a smaller, lighter lens than the ZD 50-200mm there's also the ZD 70-300mm f4-5.6 - although you'll need to stabilise the lens and it doesn't have a tripod collar.

Cheers

Brian

10. nishendu

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I wound up buying Lumix 45-200mm f4-5.6. I almost ordered ZD 14-150 but I already have a 14-42. We will see how well it works.