1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I am having WAY to much fun!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gardengirl13, Sep 19, 2012.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    When going to the OM-D I was worried I'd miss my old 60D. But I can't believe how wrong I was! Sure there are some things that were better, but I don't really care at this point! I'm having way too much fun with a smaller package, that is with me all day every day!

First I have complaints (get the bad out of the way first):
    -as everyone says the focusing is slow. Trying to shoot my neighbors 2 year old was a failed attempt to say the least, but this little girl get SUPER excited to see us for some reason! In this excitement she runs around like a madwoman!
    -the lack of great cheap lenses is slightly stifling, but not bad. I use only three (12-50, 25, 50-150) and seem ok. Sure there are times I wish it was wider, but not as much as I thought I would, and I really liked 10mm on the canon. Longer would be good but with my personal needs I can't due to weight. The 50-150 is only ok, but does the job 75-80% of the time. I find it's quite acceptable to crop heavily for web use.
    -this has nothing to do with the OM-D, well ok it does, but it's not the camera, I bought the aputure timer remote for a shutter release thinking it'd be awful nice to set it up to do my star trails photos and not have to go outside in the below freezing weather every 10 mins. The battery is supposed to last 3 years (as long as you take it out of the remote between uses as the unit won't turn off????) Well it's almost dead with only 3 hours of use, at temps above 55*. So I'm not too happy. I can't sell it unless the company will replace the battery, or I can just sell it as is and lower the price by the cost of a new battery. BUT this is actually a plus for me. I HATED feeling so disconnected from my photo. It camera just sat out there all lonely with me sitting inside. It's a weird distance I didn't like. So I will be buying an old fashioned no battery needed shutter release.

Now for the good, I really love this little camera! I've said before in other posts, it's so fun to have something so light to play with. It's like it brought back the fun of photography I used to have with the A1 and a 50mm only. I don't have to worry about some of the stuff I did with heavier bulkier cameras. I have it in my bag every day. It's becoming an extension of me quicker then any camera has in years. I do have to think a bit more about how to expose things sightly different, but it's still fun. I love that I can shoot up to ISO6400 and not worry.

The one issue I had last weekend was the noise in longer exposures. I wasn't really expecting that. Everyone said noise control is better then it was with my 60D, but not when it comes to the long exposures.

Here's what I've been doing the last few weeks!!

secondstartrailscr.

firstomdstartrailscr.

great IS at the county fair!

Not sure how many I can post, so I'll post in another post.

• Like Like x 12
  2. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    nice photos....I am also enjoying the Olympus OMD-5....great camera!!

3. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    OK here's more!

birds

• Like Like x 1
  4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Very nice variety of images here. It looks like the camera is working really well for you! Thanks for sharing.

5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Nice images, but those central watermarks really detract.

6. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    bulb

Nice night photos , I was wondering do I need a special remote trigger to be able to do the 8min/15min exposures ?

I tried tonight but you have to hold the shutter button down , so I can't keep my finger on it for 15mins :-( just to get the time

I tried live timer is that the same can I set that to 15 mins ? I don't want the exposure getting to bright , I'm only using the 12-50 kit lens

Thanks

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Did you use the Live Bulb function for the fair shots? I love that you can see what's happening as the exposure is taking place.

You may want to get an intervalometer remote...it's mostly for repeating exposures, but some can also be programmed for longer exposures, with an override if you wanted to stop the exposure early. It works by sending two commands to the wireless reciver attached to the camera, shutter open and shutter closed.

Some cheaper remotes where you have to hold down the button continuously transmit a signal to the receiver wasting power.

8. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    I too have a 60d (and a 550d) but the OM-D has really drawn me into exploring the m4/3 system. I prefer shallower DOF in my shots so that smaller sensor does give me pause for that reason, but other than that, the OM-D seems like it would really work for me.
    Particularly the 45, 20, and 17's. Its good to see the someone's views on a step I'm considering coming from a similar point :)

9. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    Love the set of ACLs in the second star photo. And the shot of the sushi roll made me decide that I'm having sushi for lunch tomorrow! Gotta love spicy mayo. Thanks for sharing.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great set of photos. You mentioned the noise in the long exposures. Don't forget that the Sequential Drive Mode setting disables the (Auto) Noise Reduction (which works in single exposure mode) for the Dark Frame Subtraction function.

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    GG -

Glad you got the OM-D replaced and are having fun again.

Regards,

Jim