1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I am back to Olympus for good

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Thai-Mike, Jun 13, 2019 at 12:36 AM.

1. Thai-Mike

Thai-Mike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    The last couple of years I used almost Olympus cameras. Briefly I went for a Nikon D7200 and as Sony a6300.

I am back to Olympus for good.

I started with an Olympus EM10 Mark ii, and the oly 14-42 kit-lens Later I got oly's such as 12-50mm, 40-150mm, 17mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8, 12-40 2.8, 9mm fish-eye body cap, 75-300, 60mm 2.8, the Sigma 30mm 1.4.

I also got the TG-5.

When I decided to get the Nikon last November I sold the TG-5, and the other gears and lenses I gave them to my beloved cousin for free. (This mean the tripods and flash as well).

Just 2 month after I sold my Nikon and got the Sony a6300.

I was not that satisfied that much, even the Sony was/is a great camera.

I switched back to an Olympus EM5 Mark ii, a Panasonic 12-32 kit lens, and the Olympus 25mm 1.8. It was just until I read about the Olympus 14-150 ii.

I sold the Panasonic 12-32 kit lens, and the Olympus 25mm 1.8 to get the 14-150.

I went to a important family vacation, to a very, very important Math competition with this combo. Even I took a high risk not getting images I want to get, I was eager to find out which lenses I miss.

Today I went to my hometown temple and figured out that the Oly 9mm f8 fish-eye should be in my bag. (So I ordered it today).

Even I changed, gears and lenses, I found my Combo for my "Style" of photography traveling throughout Thailand and my daily photography.

To I have any regrets giving all my Oly gears and lenses to my cousin, the answer is not at all.

I just regret a bit that I sold the TG-5. Maybe I will get a TG-6 or TG-7. Time will tell.

So don't wonder why I only use the awesome Olympus 14-150 ii and soon the 9mm fish-eye.

Hopefully you still like my images I'll keep up posting them.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 12:45 AM
    • Like Like x 18
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Congratulations Michael, but ime sure i have heard this before, from you and me.
    imagesll.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I feel the same about Panasonic but would consider a change of body if one thing became available on Olympus using my Panasonic 100-400, Pro-Capture low with CAF, i find the Panasonic pre captureto be no good for my needs.

Plus if Nikon reinvented the 1 series that would get a serious look from me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I been pretty much strictly Olympus for digital photography since early 2012. With the exception of the lil Pentax Q10 mirrorless that is more of a "when I can't bring my Oly" camera in jacket pocket which is rarely.

Panasonic though is my go to for video, I won't touch it for photos. (Hacked GH1 and recently acquired GH4).

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. LilSebastian

LilSebastian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Pasadena, CA
    John
    Welcome back. While I've only shot with Olympus, I do pay attention to those who try out and perhaps eventually move entirely over to another brand. Fujifilm, Nikon and Sony seem to be calling people over. What did you hope to find with Nikon and Sony when you bought them and what drove you to finally come back to Olympus?

I believe there are no truly bad cameras anymore, just preferences and needs that can be met through various options.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I just had a former classmate ask me about both the Fuji X-T100 and Sony A7ii since I was like the only mirrorless guy in the photography program at the time. I pointed him towards Sony if it had to be a choice between the two, especially since he's more into photos and used to full frame with the older film stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    I've been trying to force myself to go back to the Nikon DSLRs. But just can't do it. I'm getting results as good with the MFT system, and can shoot in conditions I just can't do with the Nikon DSLRs.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Thai-Mike

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    I came from Nikon (used many years). The reason to buy the Nikon was not an easy decision. I thought that the bigger sensor size will make make Christmas holidays, as well as the adjusting exposure composition and the higher shutter speed, etc.. I got a Sigma 17-50 2.8, a Tamron 7- - 300, and a Sigma 8-16.

After coming back from holiday I was just not happy. The expectation and the results didn't match up. The weight was an other issue. The carrying on mountains was not as fine as I thought and the street was a bit unpleasant with that gear. The EM10 ii was much easier for streets. So I sold the Nikon.

I asked a friend which he would get, a Sony A7 ii FF or the Sony a6300. His advice was the a6300. He knew my healthy conditions and that I want a small camera. So I got it. A 16-50mm, a 25mm 1.8, and a 55-200 was purchased as well.

I had fun with the a6300 but the handling for my taste was not that great as I was experiencing with the em 10 ii. I sold it. When I don't have fun with my gears I was not going to be motivated taking photos.

In my mind during Nikon and Sony time was the OLY. I compared almost with every click with the OLY. What I was not that pleased with th eEM10 ii was when I used my 12-40 2.8 wide open in bright daylight, the em10 ii was just limited with the shutter. So I looked around and by accident I saw at my local camera shop a EM5 ii in the window. I stepped in with my daughter and wife. I took th eEM5 into my hand and I was in heaven. My daughter afterwards told me that she felt that I was so relieved finding that gear which matched.

After talking to the shop manager, I know him for a very long time, he gave me the pana 12-32 and the Oly 25mm 1.8 to test with the em 5ii. At home i went through my photos taken from 2014-2019 to find my preferred focal length. During that full of memories popping up time, I saw what kind of style I was into. Close to people taking their photos with a zoom, asking them not to look at me. Markets shots with around 14 to 70mm most of the time. When I was wider I cropped in pp.

Traveling photo almost taken with the 40-150, 55 -300, 70 - 300. Or the 16 m-85, 17 - 50,. Primes used for couple of hundreds in 5 years with primes, cos I had them.

Those all helped me to decide my currently lens choices. The OLY 14 - 150 ii was me never letting me down in every situations. Even in very low light. I never used a tripod the last few month just learning that the lens is that good. I have to admit that the Olympus EM5 ii handles the ISO 6400 perfectly for my taste.

I am not a pro. When I can not get a shot it doesn't matter. Because what I've learned the last few years is: "If I wanna get every opportunity shot into my camera , I need lots of lenses and a big bag". I am not willing to buy much lenses again.

For example, I saw great macro shots here on this forum, so I want a macro lens. I got the Oly 60mm 2.8. Great lens, but I am not a macro photographer. The few shoots I took were close-ups which I can achieve with my 14-150 and Focus bracketing. BTW, when I purchased the 60mm 2.8 I also purchased the Helicon Focus 6 software. The software is great, so I am looking forward doing more bracketing.

Last but not least, to purchase the EM 5 ii was a huge improvement over the EM 10 ii. The handling, the shutter, the weather sealing, etc. Makes my photographing days.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Welcome back!

I've never really understood "switchers." I did exhaustive research in 1977, before buying an Olympus OM-2 and their OM Zuiko 75-150mm ƒ/4 lens. And I've stuck to Olympus since, through thick and thin — even in the 4/3rds days, although I resisted the urge to spend heavily on that system, choosing instead to buy just four key lenses.

My philosophy is that it isn't the equipment; it's what you make of the equipment! It seems better to understand a system's strengths and weaknesses well, so you can best take advantage of the strengths, while avoiding or ameliorating the weaknesses.

My biggest regrets have always been about the equipment I've sold, not the equipment I've bought. After I got into 4/3rds, I hit a rough patch financially, and sold many of the banner OM lenses I had collected, especially fast-wides. I then ended up re-purchasing some of them!

I've been generally delighted with Olympus's regard for my sunken costs. Early on, there was a migration path for OM —> 4/3rds, and then again, from 4/3rds —> µ4/3rds, although I didn't jump into micro until they had a PDAF-focusing camera that could make the best of my 4/3rds lenses.

Since getting into µ4/3rds (with an OM-D E-M1 Mark II), I've actually spent more on OM and 4/3rds lenses than I have on native lenses, culminating in the OM Zuiko 350mm ƒ/2.8, which is simply awesome!

Whenever I feel tempted by a different system or even new µ4/3rds kit, I ask myself, "Is my present system still doing what I wanted it to do when I bought it? Will the new system or lens really do anything more that I really need?"

And then I sit back and wait for the feeling to pass.

I'm reminded of Dan Gilbert's quote, "The reversible condition is not conducive to the synthesis of happiness." Then I go out and synthesize happiness with my self-imposed irreversible condition. :) 

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I don’t have the scientific data to say what I say below, but I will use the frontal cortex’s ability to simulate:

The experiments mentioned in the talk gave subjects choices which are of equal merits or the differences between which were limited to a narrow range. In such instances, any regrets could be overcome and the reality be accepted. Imagine a set of choices like say, gaining a treasure or losing a limb, a wrong choice in this case would most likely leave a life long regret.

10. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Sometimes You just like what you like. In say brand choices, the results are rarely ever that drastic.

If I were seeking out what was "the best" out of every scenario, and somehow felt the need to defend that from every opposition, I would never be happy with anything, or very poor after a while. The oldest Olympuses (kind of old now when I think about when my E-M1 mk1 was released), simply put is something I enjoy, I know it, I'm familiar with it, I know how to work with what it gives me. And as far as clients go, they're usually way more impressed than I am with my own work. So it's all good.

It's kind of like my fountain pens, some of them are close to 100 years old, and they are by far nothing that was touted as "the best" or grails be it then or now (and in a way they're "survivors" when you consider they made it to my hands). But I really enjoy them and I am familiar with them and they just fit my desire.

When you search for a fault, you will always find one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Okay, I'm curious. Why not?

12. .
    Personally I've had somewhat of a photographic catharsis of late. I came to this forum in (I think it was Feb of last year) voicing my concerns about the quality of m43 images compared to FF and APSC..................I was totally focused on IQ and had been comparing images at 100% across all formats. You can debate with me till you're blue in the face but despite my adoption of the m43 system, I will always maintain that the other two systems have better DR and for me, that's what makes or breaks an image, (technically, but not necessarily artistically) .

Blown highlights and blocked shadows were an anathema to me, but that comes from my age, the age of film, and my darkroom practices. Times, and tastes, change. From a professional POV, how many stock agencies or individuals really care about my anathema...............FB, Instagram, Vogue and other Magazines and social media exude the stuff that once was an anathema to me. Despite that, the stuff that I saw in Mainstream magazines I came to appreciate for something more than what I was previously judging on................technical (in the old sense) merit. Technical merit ain't worth jack shlt if there ain't some element of artistic merit in there. Many of these images with blown highlights and blocked shadows, blew me away! I have tried to create similar but have failed miserably, in fact, prior to trying/appreciating I actually started a thread entitled something like "What's with all these high contrast/blown highlight images?".........................but they grew on me. I love this lady's stuff" Isabella A

So what am I trying to say here?.................the limitations as I saw them at the time, (failings if you want to call it that) of limited DR when compared to the other formats of a similar release date could/ should be "offset" by learning to master the m43 system (technically), and at the same time, when confronted with a scene that you understand can't be represented by it's limited DR, utilise your artistic vision, WYSIWYG viewfinder, and PP skills to squeeze the best out of the system.

TBH, it ain't easy familiarising yourself with all this new age tech for an old fart like me. I still shoot exclusively in AV or manual and my PP skills could be better (I love those dodge/burn tools in CS6). I'm stuck with that and won't upgrade as my brain wouldn't handle it. @Thai-Mike@Thai-Mike has been turning out some excellent street work with his 14-150, despite bemoaning the loss of his previous higher end kit. For myself, I have come to realise that 100% viewing of your images is likely to be the biggest killer of confidence in your gear and subsequently your artistic merit. Added to that, I can now carry more bodies and lenses and gradually switching to primes to make me think more about what I am doing although that (highly regarded by self) "plastic fantastic" Olly 40-150 that I've just bought for A$50 will have a place.

I've turned out (please excuse blowing my own trumpet here) some nice images with the panny 100-400 that came very close to those I turned out with the Canon 100-400mkll............but then again, I've also turned out some images with the "lowly" 75-300 and 40-150 that unless you enlarged to 100% could barely be distinguished from the canon lens, and in the light of that, as you can see from my signature, now not a pro lens in sight as TBH, for the images/scenarios that I shoot, I think the fact that I had higher end gear, made me "lazy in my thinking" in that simply, the "good" gear could get the shot and not my vision/mastery of my gear.

Pro gear for me, relates to large Prints and high expectation corporate assignments and there is no need for most of the folks posting on this forum to ever judge an image at 100% unless they're involved in that IMHO. So!..........as they say in Oz "Good on yer" Mike, and I'll tell ya what!...................when you've got certain (high end) gear, and that means FF over m43, there is an expectation of not only others, but particularly self, to justify the cost of that gear and to produce images from a FF camera better than images from APSC and m43..............so getting away from that "high end" "better" gear, releases that pressure/expectation and taxes your artistic brain in a much more healthy and relaxed manner and sometimes "better" has sweet FA to do with DR, DOF, sensor size or anything else in the equation other than your interpretation of what is in front of your lens..............be it a 3.5-5.6 or a 1.4

Based on my own experience, with a caveat that I am a particular type (of person) The "release" that I have felt dumping all that expensive canon gear and now the higher end of my m43 just has me enjoying photography so much more.

From a practical POV, technology is moving that fast that the expensive gear that you have now may not be worth jack shlt in 3 yrs time.

Excuse my lengthy diatribe....................Sunday is my spiced rum day :) 

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I think Gilbert might argue otherwise!

Early in the talk, he asked the audience, "Who is happier: a paraplegic, or someone who had just won a million-dollar lottery?"

At the time of happening, it seems the new millionaire was, as expected, happier… but one year later, they were revisited and reported similar levels of happiness!

So, if something happens that makes you unhappy, simply wait a year.

Back to the original topic: this is how high-tech really screws you. By the time you've waited long enough to get over your unhappiness with a recent purchase, even more advanced stuff has come out, which makes you even unhappier!

I know this is not good for the economy, but "Just Say No™!" and enjoy what you got!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Photos, please! :) 

I used to score mine through thrift stores — even a Mont Blanc and a solid sterling Shaeffer! But they're getting harder to find.

So true! Attitude is so much of live.

Likewise, if you set out to search for joy, you will always find it!

15. Nice. I need to print that out and post it above my monitor. :) 

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. And unfortunately the consumer has to pay for that "more advanced stuff". I wonder just how many folk who simply want to purchase a small/lightweight camera for their holidays and family snapshots are sucked into a camera simply because: a) it is good looking, b) the salesman tells them, "just stick it on auto and it will give you wonderful pics", c) "It fits in your handbag", d) anything else you may want to consider................but REALITY CHECK! ..............even for forum members who are "into photography" How often are you likely to use focus bracketing, high res, hdr, wifi etc etc ? Even if you do, is it cost effective for the amount of times that you do it? Personally, I can't think of anything worse than editing a photo on a phone or indeed, anything less than a 550mm monitor and uploading it for all to see without first seeing it at full res on same................and yet I have to pay for the ability to do so! I don't want video, I don't want a mic................just give me a camera that is as small and looks as good as the PenF (aka Pentax me super) with Sweet FA other than shutter/aperture priority and manual

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. I did note that. However those weren't choices presented to an individual, instead, they were situations of what happened to two separate individuals who scored their own unrelated situations. IMO, that is a big difference.

18. Thai-Mike

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    I got inspired from the very first beginning of my photography journey by looking at photos. I was focused to replicate same images. I was looking at exif which gear they used.

Later on my journey I tried to get "JUST" inspired and was looking for ideas. Actually everything worked out as I was thinking. I in reality, I lied to myself. I think that was the reason why I tried so many gears and joined many forums. (Now, I am only here)

This year, when I was very sick and in the hospital, I realized that I am seeing things different then others. How comes? My daughter paid a visit at the hospital and I had to go to the toilet, Unfortunately, I was on a machine so I couldn't walk. I told my daughter that I am so shy to ask the nurse.

My daughter, 11 years of age asked me: "Daddy what makes you more shy, to ask the nurse for help or to poo in the bed?"

Problem solved.

This was the turning point in my photography journey, I see a flower different than many others, even it is the same flower. This is good so. This was the moment to see my camera as a tool to capture my seeing.

Lately I posted in the bird thread a bird sitting on a tree. Of course it i snot perfect, but it attracted my eyes. I think with a 300 mm f4 pro lens, and the EM1 mark ii (for example) the quality would turned out better, but who cares? I got my pic as I wanted it to be.

My very critical daughter, she is sitting right next to me, liked that bird shot.

Does size matter? Does gear matter? Yes, yes, yes. But not every size and every gear fits to everyone. That makes us "Photographer" different. Looking at photos and discuss what is likeable, what can be improved , and so on. This is what matters and not which gear I use.

Sometimes I see a photo and think wow, wtf is this. The exif shows a high end camera an da pro lens. But then I have to take myself by the nose and ask: "What is what I don't like about the photo. Not judging the skills but be a good photographer college and give a honest but polite feedback.

• Like Like x 3
  19. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    At least in regards to the GH4/GH5 (and it's early predecessor GH1 which I hacked for 100mbps video), most of it's layout and functionality is tuned for video. It's UI is also not as familiar to me to navigate thru quickly and change for photo purposes like I would with my Olympus bodies. The LCD/EVF screen on the GH4 wasn't as clear/visible as my older E-M1 or E-M5 mk1, often seemingly washed out (though peaking was more effective it was still kind of hard to gauge). The front dial on the GH4 being a thin rubber wheel that sometimes slips isn't as nice as the dials on the Olympus bodies where using the shutter dial is more often done for photos than for video.

What I do like from something like the GH4 for more photo specific things:
    - The WB/ISO/EV buttons are right up near the shutter button, which is more than E-M1 has there with a notch to distinguish the middle one
    - Both AF/AFC/MF and Drive mode are accessible as dials rather than thru the menu (or 1 button then menu), though I've found it more useful having the two buttons up by the lens mount on the E-M1 for either of these purposes.
    - On/Off switch is over by the mode dial on the right that can be flipped with the thumb.
    - More Fn button options around the rear of the body

But most of the body is geared for video it seems like particularly putting the rec button on the back, and most of the settings and input/output is more video oriented. Like they can be used for video, but if I want something that is 99% photo oriented, I'm much more likely to reach for one of the Olympus bodies, especially one of the older ones with the flip screen rather than the fully articulating screen.

Sterling Silver Sheaffers are going to be a little harder to find, and I'm not as big a fan of the Sheaffer after the whole PFM era (mostly when I had some they were Snorkels and Touchdowns). I've had a couple Montblancs, and I still have have a 70s era 225 piston filler with a platinum coated 14k gold nib (extra extra fine) which also has the platinum coated cap, as well as a 60s era Montblanc 14 with an 18C gold fine nib.

I usually have to look online, usually ebay at times, especially when I was going thru a bit of a phase of grabbing up old Eversharp Skylines from the 40s, that were in need of repair or cleaning, since the 14K gold nibs even if their blackened can be cleaned without hurting the material (unlike steel nibs which will corrode).

disassembled_before.jpg

and then after I worked on it for a day :

goldfilled_pair.jpg

This is the collection as of October which doesn't include the Conklin Crescent Filler from the 1920s I got earlier this year (and recently replaced it's cracked nib with one of an identical model from the same era).

Collection Photos (October 2018) (a lot more shown via the link)

1aB9mCf.jpg

JDZyM70.jpg

PHmKT6k.jpg

LAxPxwP.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 12:31 AM
    • Winner Winner x 3
  20. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Though there's also a matter of choosing the tools appropriate for the job and the manner of how you get the job done. The trade off might not be practical carrying around 6lb of camera in your hand when the same job can be done beyond the client's satisfaction with a M43 body and lens, and backup for half the weight and size, especially if the user interface makes the process smoother.

Would I love to go full frame Canon EOS system for the dynamic range and over all resolution? Sure... but I am no longer satisfied with going down that rabbit hole of excessive weight, size, price, storage size, and general chunkiness (not to mention painting a huge target on my back when out and about), when 90% of what I would have to deliver is easily just as achievable with my 6 year old E-M1. And about 6% of that remaining percent can still be acquired with some limitations (stitching, HDR, etc). The last 4% if I really must, I can use my alumni status/connection at the school and check out something like the 5Ds and some L glass, and maybe some of the Apurture or Arri lights if I have a need to.

So basically it just supports your later paragraph about the enjoyment of it. It's a sweet spot when we're at a point that the equipment we enjoy is more than sufficient for most of the clients we have, including those who are corporate who really don't want to know the technicalities, and just want to get what they asked for (and most the time what they asked for, is well within their viewing capabilities being 8-bit monitors or not much larger than a 24x36 printout).

And the 'expensive gear' I have now, was mostly purchased used and was already 3 years old at the time of acquiring them. Good equipment, much like the glass we use on our bodies, do not simply become obsolete unless everyone abandons the lens mount all at once.

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.