I am a victim of happenstance.....

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Rum Maximus, May 11, 2013.

1. Rum Maximus

Rum Maximus Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2013
    LV, NV
    Well, actually it wasn't happenstance that brought me here. It was booze. Seriously! :rolleyes:

Long story short, a few weeks ago I bought a Bower 8mm fisheye that was advertised as being a Canon mount BUT it turned out to be an Oly 4/3 mount instead. Yeah, I got suckered because the seller convinced me to send the $$$ via PayPal as a "gift" and ended up leaving me hung out to dry on the lens.

Sooooo..... just last week I was drunken eBaying (come on, admit it - you have ALL done it at some point in your lives so don't judge me!!!) and I managed to win an auction for an E-PL1 w/o a lens for a smoking good price. Or at least my rum addled brain THOUGHT it was a good price. :drinks:

And now here I am, the proud owner of a :43: camera. Yippee!!!

Next step: score a lens or two and start playing w/ the new camera. I figure it'll be a good addition to the line-up in order to fill the gap between the 50D and my cameraphone.

In the meanwhile, I'll be scoping out the forum for info on :43: pancake lenses and adapters for classic manual lenses. If anyone has suggestions or pointers for a "dumb" 4/3 to :43: adapter (i.e.- an adapter w/o the electrical contacts that doesn't cost $50+ for it) then I am all ears.

So yeah..... that's my story and I am stickin' to it!
  2. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    Welcome! Check out the adapted lens threads to see the various adapters
  3. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Next time, be sure to drunkenly click on the sellers below to help support this site.

[judgemental] And no! Ebay is not where I go when drunk. I didn't realise there were "that sort of people" here on mu43!! [/judgemental] :smile:
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard. I have to warn you, though, I ended up selling my 40D after buying an E-PL1 (followed by several other Olympus :43: cameras). :biggrin:
  5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs

Well, I stopped drinking before eBay was invented but I have been guilty of STUPIDLY eBaying and I can't even blame alcohol in my case, lol.

All my Nikon DSLR gear is gone, replaced by micro four thirds gear. Quality of my photography remains unchanged, but the opportunities have been multiplied by the smaller kit. Whereas an outing might have involved 25 pounds of DSLR's and gear in a backpack, it's now closer to 12 pounds fully loaded and usually less. For an "older photographer" like me, it's a revelation, lol.

My blog post about finding the Olympus E-M5 as a full replacement for my DSLR's is here if you're interested: No Regrets: Living Small in a Big Camera World
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome to the forum, RM!

I have one of these:

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS EF to Micro Four Thirds Cameras: Electronics

only mine is Nikon-to-:43:.

It's worked very well allowing me to mount a Nikon 'nifty fifty' to my OM-D EM-5.

I think you'll like the EPL-1; I'd recommend activating the Super Control Panel, which saves having to dive into the Olympus menu system.

I bought an EPL-1 with the kit lenses before venturing full throttle into :43:; it was my "proof of concept" camera and now is used as a backup to the EM-5 or when I want an "even smaller" camera to schlep.

I also acquired a VF-2 viewfinder for the EPL-1. I find viewing the rear screen on the EPL-1 difficult in bright sunlight, and I am old and am used to having a viewfinder :biggrin:. I find that it helps stabilize the camera, while I have difficulty maintaining the "stinky diaper hold" when using the rear screen.

The EPL-1 is more capable than one might first credit; it's not the fastest focusing camera on the planet and the ICIS system pales when compared to that of the EM-5, but nevertheless it can create stunning images when in the right hands (which is to be read "anyone's hands but mine" :biggrin:).

Be sure to post some pics!

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I'd second the Fotodiox adapters. They are cheap and work well.

Welcome to m4/3 land and the forum.

As for m4/3 native lenses: Everyone will have different favorites, but mine are the PL Summilux 25mm f1.4 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8.