1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I already have the Panasonic 35-100, should I get the 75/1.8?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Rasmus, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Sometimes I feel a bit tempted by the 75/1.8, it seems to be such a great lens. On the other hand I already have the 35-100/2.8, which isn't exactly a bad lens. Does anyone have both, and for a good reason?

Here are my thoughts on the issue.

The 75 is one of the sharpest lenses available for any camera system, but the panasonic cannot be called soft by any standard.

The 75 is more than a stop faster, but f/2.8 isn't slow. I'll roughly double the shutter speed in the same light, and I'll get shallower DOF. However DOF is already rather shallow at f/2.8 with such a long lens.

The 75 is built like a tank, the Panasonic is nearly built like a tank.

THe 75 isn't weather sealed, the 35-100 is. But I guess any lens that's built like a tank can withstand a little moisture anyway.

The 75 is smaller and lighter, but two lenses with similar specs weigh more than one.

Filling up holes in my lens range probably makes more sense than getting another plug to the same hole, giving that my supply of money isn't infinite.

Any thoughts? Did I miss anything? Oh yes, the black 75 looks gorgeous on the EM-1. Well well, the important bit is getting nice photos, having gear that looks good is second priority.

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    come to the prime side!

what other holes do you have that need filling in yer lens lineup

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have both. I had the 75mm first and then later bought the 35-100 with the thought that I might be able to then sell the 75. But it didn't happen and isn't gonna. One of my main uses for this type of lens is shooting candids of friends and family, often indoors in fairly to very low light. That one or one and a third stop advantage of the f1.8 aperture on the 75 can be huge in those circumstances. Over the most recent Thanksgiving and end of year holidays, I started off trying to get by using the 35-100. I had too many shots with motion blur. I pulled out the 75mm and almost never missed a shot. That doubling plus of shutter speeds matters a lot at a certain point in low light, and it's a point I seem to hit fairly often in those indoor and/or evening get-togethers.

I really like the 35-100 too, though, because it's a more versatile lens, good for moving subjects in decent to good light, and good for static subjects in almost any light with today's sensors. And particularly with the Oly 5-axis IBIS. So I'm keeping both. If I was going to get rid of one, it would be the 35-100 because the 75 will get me shots I've just GOTTA get and the 35-100 sometimes doesn't. And I can do a reasonable job on the tasks that the 35-100 is better for with the 75 - I did it for quite a while. But I'm glad to have both - they're both fine lenses and telephoto and ultra wide is the only part of my m43 kit I seem to ever use anymore, so these are two great lenses to have.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    If the f2.8 seems shallow & about the least dof you want/tolerate, I don't see advantage to f1.8 & would require careful perspective, framing, composition vs. a 25mm at f1.4 would. See where used ones are at with price gives idea of try it for few months cost (if get new one).

5. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    My main hole in the lineup is a fast tele that's longer than 100 but shorter than 350 (my 500 f/4 doubles as a 350/2.8 when I use the speed booster). I'm currently a bit torn between the 50-200 and the 150/2. Also I'd like to get one of the 7-14 lenses.

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I have the 35-100, it is one of the most useful zoom ranges next to the 12-35. I intend to keep mine, and add a 75 somewhere along the way. I think they can co-exist and each has its own distinct advantage over the other. :biggrin:

7. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    i find the narrow angle of view incredibly hard to use. too tight. its a bit $teep for a lens to have just for the sake of having it.

if it fits your shooting its one of the best for the system

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    You could always try one of the manual 85mm lenses, like the Rokinon or an older legacy lens. Similar FOV and speed.

There are also some c-mount 75mm lenses that can be found on ebay from time to time at a good price. The Computar and Cosmicar branded ones supposedly work without vignetting.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  10. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    a cheap but sharp 100mm F2.8 legacy lens with a focal reducer is a good alternative for having a 75mm F2.0... My SMC takumar 105mm f2.8 is incredibly sharp with cheap focal reducer and it's like having a 75mm F2.0

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    FIFY. :wink:

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Why not the Oly 45? Same speed, but a more versatile focal length.

13. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I have the 45 and the 75. I was at a concert where the 45 made more sense from a framing perspective, but even looking at the preview shots, I reached back for the 75mm. Some lenses transcend the logic of comparing specs and the 75mm is one of those lenses. My suggestion is to try it (e.g., in the store or by borrowing or renting). There is something magical about the 75 - its by far my favorite lens. I have the P20, P25, O45, O75, O14-140, and P14-42 X.

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I haven't been paying much attention to the lens road maps/rumors lately. Is either Panasonic or Olympus planning something like a 100mm f2 or f2.8 prime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have both as well and I agree the 75 is the better lens. Saying that though I suggested the 45 because it is more versatile and the 45 is by no means a bad lens. It sounded like the OP was not sure if he needed the 75. $900 bucks is a lot of money to throw at something you are not sure if you even need, especially if he already has the excellent 35-100.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think its a matter of taste. I've never really bonded with the 45's focal length, although I'm getting a little better at it. 100 mm on APS-C and 135 on FF (so 60-80 range MFT), however, have yielded some of my absolute favourite shots over the years.

17. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
  18. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I had both but sold the panasonic 35-100mm. Dont always shoot telephoto but when I do, I prefer using the 75mm or the 45mm.

The 75mm is a superb lens and I find myself using it even though that shot may not require. Just put the lens on and try to make it work. Haha

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

19. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    That's a well laid out answer. I have both and pretty much agree with everything you've said. I'd add that the 35-100 fits the bill as an excellent stand in for the 75 when the circumstances doesn't lend itself to the 75 - in my case the wife and I attend several renaissance fairs each year and the 35-100 works really well for the various locations where it's not so easy to either get closer or back up. All that said, the 75 is one of those lens you look for excuses to shoot with.

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes, and your post is well-said, too. I thought I would sell the 75/1.8 when I got the 35-100/2.8, but it's still here. :smile: