1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I already have GF2 with 3 lens.. is G3 worth buying?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kofqueens, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Kofqueens

Kofqueens New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Guys, I need your suggestions. I already have a Panny GF2 with 3 different (14-42mm kit lens, 20 mm and 45-200 mm ) lens. As you know G3 is now on sale and so I am thinking about buying it.

Main reasons why I am thinking about getting it is it is not very expensive, it has 16MP (compared to 12.1 MP on my GF2) and EVF. Do you guys think it is worth buying this camera?

I don't know yet but if I buy this one, I may just keep both GF2 and G3 and sell the new 14-42 mm lens (that comes with the G3) or just sell my GF2 and it's 14-42 mm lens (both have warranty till October 2015).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance.

-Naresh

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The G3 have lower noise at high ISO.
    I found that the G series with the IVF and articulate screen are the most flexibile bodies to use.

3. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    I started off with a GF2 and had those same three lenses before I picked up a G3 body back over the summer. The G3 is a nice upgrade over the GF2. You'll gain about at least one stop better in noise performance for the same ISO, an EVF, bulb mode, a remote shutter port (in combination with bulb, great for fireworks etc), and it uses the same battery as the GF2.

$300 for the G3 kit is quite a good deal, especially if you sell the kit lens afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kofqueens

Kofqueens New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. Thanks also for letting me know about the same batteries. What about the build quality? I was reading in few reviews that the build quality of G3 is not that great.

5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm no expert, new to m4/3 myself, and can only comment on my two weeks of ownership of a Pan GX1. I purchased a G3 because of the low price and to have a second body. The 'quality' does seem less, cheaper, than my GX1, but I'm very happy to have a second body for the price. These two bodies will do me well for 12-18 months (I hope) by which time the new GH3 should be much less expensive.

6. Kofqueens

Kofqueens New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Also, I am not in a hurry to upgrade my gear. Should I wait for G5 's price to go down?

7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    G3 build quality is very good...$300 for the kit is a big upgrade from the GF2.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would say it feels lighter and cheaper than my GF1, but in actual fact it has been just (if not more) durable.

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    G3 is nice, but if budget can be stretched, i suggest taking a look at the G5.

10. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    Personally, I found the G3 a huge step up. To me the big improvement is the viewfinder. I use it most of the time. It makes for a much more stable way to shoot. Also much better outdoors in sunlight. I have not been bothered by the bigger size. I love the extra control and the images are MUCH better. I highly recommend this upgrade. You also might look for used G3s in the marketplace section of this site or others.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Yes.The G5 has a much brighter screen,a very cool balance screen and of course a very good image. If you are happy with the GF 2 keep it for a while.Once you use the G5 it will collect dust.

12. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    The G5 on sale for 499 with a kit lens on amazon

13. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Does the G5 use a different battery than the G3?

14. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    I believe it uses the same battery as the GH2.

If you don't find yourself needing the extra features in the G3 and find the GF2 sufficient, I would say to hold off if you can, as prices should only get cheaper.

15. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    I have a GF1, GF2, and G3.
    Where I live, most of the time it is too bright to use the screens. The G3 is my outdoor camera. All of them produce top quality results for me. I would get the G3 and keep the GF2. I just match the camera and the lens and location and off I go.

16. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The G3 is a huge improvement over the GF2 and one heck of a bargain at the moment
    It is a very good compromise on size and can be pocketable with a pancake fitted (large pocket) due to the minimal grip
    If this is one of your priorities coming from the very pocketable GF2 then the G3 is a better choice than the G5 which is bigger and not pocketable
    Regards
    Rob
    I can confirm that the G5 uses the BLC12 battery - same as the one for GH2 - bigger than the one in the G3 (BLD10) which is common with the GX1 and the GF2

17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    different.

18. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    While I prefer the positive clicks of the GX1 buttons over the mushy buttons on the G3, I'm happy I purchased the G3 last week. Using the same batteries is a big positive in my book for both travel and all around convenience.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    Ah yes, the buttons on the G3 are horrible compared to the GF2, especially if you're wearing gloves. I actually really like the GF2's buttons over any of the other button designs.