I almost sold my EP5 Today (Crossby, stills, Nash & Young)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Jun 14, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I offered it here and on CS with kits lenses and accessories. Then I used it for Astro on my C8, then I went on a little outing and tossed it in the car with the Pany 14 GWC1 and Sigma 30. Then I need a quick photo of a scope I am selling (Celestron Pacific Orange C5 from the 70's) - quicker than using either of my Gx8's with no flash (or putting one on). And then I started to hear a modified version of "I almost cut my hair today". For what they are selling for now, it's now my in the car camera and the 2 prime kit is just fine. Also sans the VF2 and with just Pany 14 it's my "pocket camera". Don't know what I was thinking (perhaps the G80 was calling) but I realize how much I like this camera and many more years I can use it, and well the thought has passed. For me 3 cameras are a little too much, but EP5 still fits a niche and for what it is worth on the used market continues to be a great camera. I guess I really have broken my NAS, and now the music I hear is "Love the One Your With"........
    • Like Like x 2
  2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Not for backup anymore!
    I upgraded to the E-M1 last year but I love the E-P5 and thought of using it as a backup camera but an old itch from my film days has come back to visit (IR Photography) and I had my E-P5 converted to Color IR by Lifepixel and my E-P5 IR has brought me to love it in an all new way. It now takes superb IR images and it no longer gets tucked into a camera bag pocket as a redundant piece of gear but sits in its' own space with the 12-40mm Pro Zoom mounted which also helps capture great IR images.
    PS, I learned to hold all my cameras with two hands (one on camera, two on the lens) so it doesn't feel unbalanced to me at all.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I figure that in a year of "shoot and stack" astrophotography" in my yard, I will shot about 10K of images. The ability to watch 30 second exposures developed in real time is something I had not thought about - I used to use my Nikons. So in my yard I get about perfect deepsky with ISO 800 @ 30 Seconds and use 1600 with a DS filter. So in reality it is my "main astro" camera now:)
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    I have a bazillion (more or less) cameras and I still can't let go of the E-P5.
    It is just such a beautifully made piece of gear.
    I believe it will be appreciated in the future as one of the classic m4/3 cameras.
    With the VF4 on top, it is unbeatable. Without it, compact and efficient.
    I wish they had kept the basic design and added a rangefinder style viewfinder to it, instead of making that over-designed PEN-F.
    By the way, those aftermarket metal grips on eBay (about $20) are very well made and work beautifully on the E-P5 - they have one tailored exactly for it.
    Anodized black aluminum, great hand grip, Arca-Swiss mount on the bottom and an opening for the battery/card so you don't have to take it off. Very nice.
    If it had RRS on it, it would sell for $180, at least.

Question - DS filter?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia

How many hands you got Bobby...?
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I am the other way around: bought the E-M1 and kept using the E-P5.
    Why? coz paired with the VF-4 does my big nose a great favor where it doesn't get contorted and squished to look in the viewfinder.
    The only thing that E-M1 wins me over occasionally is the silent shutter with its 1/16000sec exposure which comes handy in bright sunny Australia shooting with fast lenses or the ones with fixed aperture (projection lens, Pentax-110 etc)
    I could use the VF-4 on the E-M1 but that would be just very odd and bulky :eek-31:
    As for the grip, the E-P5 was a bit slippery for me so I made one out of Sugru that feels better than the bolt-on aftermarket one

[​IMG]Rikenon 40mm on E-P5_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

[​IMG]Rikenon 40mm on E-P5_front_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 4
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Just bought second hand Silver EP5 last week and one word.....AWESOME. I love the shutter's sound and the built quality really good. This is one of cameras that i am not regret to buy. I guess it's time to sell my EM5 Mark I :biggrin:.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    Contemplated buying one quite a few times but I'm a bit hold back due to the lack of a view finder. What are your experiences, do you mis it?

*for use as a secondary portable carry-always-kit (possibly with 14 2.5)
  9. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Not really since most of the time using EM5 mark, i am prefer using LCD :biggrin:
  10. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    I'm enjoying mine too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the smallest body with 5-axis IBIS. I have a VF4 but I do wish it was built in. Aside from the viewfinder itself, it adds a third point of camera contact for more stable shooting. Compared to the Pen-F, I like the cleaner style of the EP5, but the built in EVF, fully articulating screen, silent shutter, and touchpad autofocus of the Pen-F.

You do get used to no EVF, and one of the benefits of not having one is greater situational awareness (especially when traveling). I love my EP5 but I view it more as a stopgap for the GX9/Pen-F price drop. Even when I get one of those in the future, I plan on keeping mine with the PL15 glued onto it.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Far too many people here are "Helplessly hoping" for something better or for Olympus FF, who's rumor is a "Long time gone" or they are moving to Fuji/Sony saying their "49 Bye byes" to M43 in their quest to "Find the cost of Freedom". I can "See the changes" in "Our House" at M43 and they were everything "In My dreams", since I was born in "Ohio", so I will "Carry on", trying not to be "Wasted on the way". Eventually these people will see "Daylight again" on their "Marakesh express" of camera system swapping. Just be sure to "Teach your children" that format doesn't really matter and "You don't have to Cry" if you don't shoot FF. In "4+20" years, no one will know what camera took your photo prints. Now go take a picture of "Suite: Judy Blue eyes", "Guenivere" or some other "Lady of The Island". Perhaps some "Wooden ships" if portraits aren't your thing. Now I have to go drive at rush hour, so forgive me if I have the "Pre-road downs".

Yes!..got the whole first album!

Now, "Just a song before I go"....Do do do do do, do do do da doodo do

:2thumbs::Welcome::biggrin::mu43::laugh1: Happy Friday.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I am hoping to shoot the Southern Cross for the first time.......on a ship with no name.....I have all of the albums and most of Neils....why don't we have groups like that any more???