I’m back with the em10mkIII

weeowee

Mu-43 Regular
Hi everyone?! After being gone for a couple of years the (last m4/3 I’ve had was the em5, sold that a long time ago) I’m now back with the em10 MkIII, this little camera hasn’t gotten a lot of love in this forum
but since I’m only planning to use it for travel and macro photos, I think it’s good enough. Got it for around 52k yen with the dual kit lens brand new. Anyway, a couple of questions since I haven’t actually played with the camera yet (friend got it for me in Japan and she’s still on her way home)

1.) what flash (third party or oly) should I get for my macro photos?
2.) any filter sets you can suggest for travel? (planning on getting the 17mm or the 20mm?
3.) is the focus that bad since oly has eliminated the small af focus box?

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello! I can’t tell you anything about macroflash, but I would try different Godoy flashes.
nice pricing, nice light, and cheaper then Olympus own flashes.
I currently own V1, and are happy with it. (Using it on em1 mk1, and G9).

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
What lenses did you get with it?

2) The only filters I suggest are
  • UV filter, primarily to keep the gunk off the lens. I rather clean a filter than the front element of a lens.
    • Depending on where and what you shoot, this can be a significant issue. Little kids/babies, can make a mess of the filter/front element. And so can a dog. If you shoot at the ocean, you have salt spray or salty fog in the air.
  • Polarizer. But you need to THINK about what size, as you probably have lenses of different filter sizes. Get the largest size, and a step up ring from the small size to the large. But going large may make it impossible to use the standard lens hood.
3) I own the mk2, and have never used the "small" focus box, and it does just fine.

weeowee

Mu-43 Regular
I got the 14-42 pancake and the 40-150 with it.
Planning to get the 17 or the 20
plus the 60mm macro.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
The godox 350o is a nice small one and comes with a diffuser. I really like this one, easy to use as well. I also have the X2T trigger but have not worked out how to use it yet.

If you want just manual for macro, a bit bigger and more powerful is the Yongnuo 560 IV. But I found withmine that the contacts flattened a bit and I have had to add some folded aluminium foil to the negative terminals on the batteries to make good contact.

I do not have one yet but the YONGNUO YN560Li – Li-ion looks good and you can replace the batteries. Has quicker recharge time and hopefully better battery terminals

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
For a couple of years I used a Godox TT350o for my macro work but 1,5 years ago I upgraded to a TT685o which is bigger BUT produces more light with faster recycling. I don't think it's too big and I do prefer it over the smaller TT350.

afg08

Mu-43 Regular
I bought an almost unused Mark iii on eBay for $250 a few months ago, it had less than 100 shutter clicks. Apparently no one was watching the auction. I bought it to be my dedicated macro camera. There are many diy flash diffusers you can make using a speed light type flash like the Godox 350o. The diffuser that comes with the flash doesn’t work very well for macro. I eventually opted for the Olympus twin flash when it went on sale and even though it’s a lot of money I think I am going to be a lot happier with this set up.

thazooo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dana F.
I got the MEIKE MK320. Not a large flash and works good on my 10.3 . Check it out and see if it meets your specs.

weeowee

Mu-43 Regular
wow lots of options for me to read about and choose from?
thanks guys!

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
I have an m10.3, and find s-af works well. Like most af, it can get confused in a busy scene where you are shooting through branches within the af box. But that's what saf+mf is good at, or bbf, and I had to use bbf with my old Canon camera to allow mf tweaking. The 10.3 makes a great travel camera.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I've had my OM 10 Mk111 for around 6 months now and really love it.
I got it with the 14-42 EZ lens and it's now my go-to camera, rather than lugging around my Lumix G7 with the 14-45mm lens.
OK, I'm not a super-enthusiast and probably wouldn't use (or even know how to) a fraction of the settings on OM1 or 5.
I've just seen a used OM5 Mk11 (ex-demo and only 150 shots) on offer for what seems like an incredible price, but having read a few of the comparison sites, I don't think I'd get any benefit over my 10 Mk111.
I'm sure you're going to be having fun getting out and about with your new one when it arrives.
I know I do, which is surely all that matters (as well as lots of "likes" from all the folk on here. ;-)

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Check out Flashpoint flashes - they're Adorama's house branded Godox. I picked up a fun-sized TTL flash (that I use mostly on camera as a R2 radio trigger and a catchlight) and two "full-sized" manual speedlites with built in R2 triggers for about $150 a while back.

Last edited:

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Hello! I can’t tell you anything about macroflash, but I would try different Godoy flashes.
nice pricing, nice light, and cheaper then Olympus own flashes.
I currently own V1, and are happy with it. (Using it on em1 mk1, and G9).

Think they mean Godox flashes, also look at Flashpoint same as they are made for Adorama Camera by Godox.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Real Name
Stu
Have you considered the Pana 14mm /f2.5? Might be a bit wide for you but it seems to beat the Oly 17mm in resolution, size, weight and price.
Also, from what I can see there is 'Macro' lens attachment that will fit the 14mm...which could help?

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
The Meike is a good one, if you plans to shoot with the flash on the camera.

If you are wondering or considering dabbing about with off camera flash somewhere down the road, the Godox is the way forward.

Best regards Meike owner and Godox ponderer. :)

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
Part of the problem for 'Ten mark 3' is that both mark 1 and mark 2 are so darned good and ongoing reliable, that few of us users feel the need to consider a mark 3. When it's time to upgrade, the "Five Mark 3" seems like the logical camera to go to because the tens still work fine, we just want more features. I don't need 3 Olympus bodies, so I've got to sell one of the 'tens', I like them both, but will likely keep the mark 2 and sell the mark 1 simply because the mark 2 is ergonomically configured a little closer to how the 'Five' is configured.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use Godox TT685O & TT3350 speedlites + xpro transmitter and have no complaints. The price is right also especially at times when ebay is giving their retailers discounts. A simple DIY director/diffuser works for me

View attachment 803331 DIY snoot for macro by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Is there any difference between the Sour Cream & Onion, and the Mesquite BBQ? I worry that the Mesquite BBQ would cause an excessively warm color shift.

Latest threads

Top Bottom