Hybrid Wedding with micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Talanis, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Hi everyone

In mid-june, I had the opportunity to test a wedding shot exclusively with micro 4/3 cameras. The official photographer was one of my best friend and we often work together on weddings so I asked her if I could tag along and do my stuff while she was shooting like she was alone for the gig. The couple was open to it and the welcomed me warmly.

If you want to see the blog post on this, the link is here: Mariage avec l'Olympus OM-D and there is a translate button on the left.

Here is the little hybrid result: Mariage de Marie-Pascale et Gabriel - YouTube
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnv4gVHDwFA"]Mariage de Marie-Pascale et Gabriel - YouTube[/ame]

and here are a few shots from the wedding:
    mariage-om-d-sherbrooke-2.

mariage-om-d-sherbrooke-5.

mariage-om-d-sherbrooke-7.

mariage-om-d-sherbrooke-8.

mariage-om-d-sherbrooke-10.

• Like Like x 3
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Very nice.

3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Very good set.
    What camera and lens did you used?

4. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thanks! :)

I used the OM-D E-M5 and the E-PM2

For the lenses: The Olympus 45mm and 75mm, the Panasonic 20mm and the Rokkinon 7.5mm.

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nice to finally see some hybrid video being posted. What software did you use to do the show, ProShow?

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, it is to see video. I assume that it was all handheld? IS on or off?

7. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Yes Bob, it was made with ProShow.

For the video, it was done using either a monopod, a tripod or a cinemover (cheap dolly) set on the patio hand rail with IS on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. Somehow I thought that if you were following the other photographer that you would be shooting handheld. I should have thought that out better as you were only shooting primes.

9. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Actually, we were not often shooting from the same perspective. We're used to work together so the old habits of covering different angles were too strong... hehe. That's why i don't have shots from the front when they make their entrance. At that point, I missed a really good moving shot when the woman made her entrance. I actually hit the on/off button instead of the video button on the E-PM2... oh! well, that's what you get for not using the wife's camera often enough... lol.

Another thing I learned when I was editing the hybrid video: I need a LOT more short clips. The clips were easy to make during the preparation but for the ceremony (especially a civil one), it all went so fast (even if I'm used to it). Next time, I will probably get a couple of static cameras rolling during all the ceremony and make some clips on the fly while doing the photography.

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Interesting. Thanks for the back story.

11. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Australia
    As a wedding photographer myself I can appreciate the excellence of your work here, Eric. I am sure your couple were pleased with the photos.

12. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thank you :)

13. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    As someone who is not—and probably never will be—a wedding photographer I can appreciate and am impressed with your work. Combined with the more traditional wedding images taken by the other/primary photographer, the total coverage of the event and experiences appears exceptional.

14. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thank you Roadtraveller :)

15. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Very well done! I've been dabbling in hybrid video and posted a few here -- but this is really excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Splitprism

Splitprism Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2013
    Angra, Brazil
    Beautifully done, its clips and images like these that couples treasure, we should all be striving to employ the strengths of hybrid photography, the technology is in our hands, inexpensively, I need to get my offspring married off, for the practice.

17. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Very good footage! Though personally I don't like videos with computer-generated presets (frames, visual effects, etc). I think editing this material into a simple movie/music like clip with Sony Vegas (without all the special effects), for example, would make it a very good clip worthy being on vimeo.

18. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    That's not cheap for practice... lol

I agree we should do this more often. I've been shooting for so many years that it's not an actual reflex to switch to video mode. With IBIS, it's so easy to do because you can get footage that isn't too shaky just doing it handheld. I would love to be able to shoot 60 fps with the OM-D though. That's why I have high hopes for either the next OM-D to have 60fps or for the GX7 to have IBIS.

Shooting clips is definitely a habit I have to develop.

19. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    That'w what the folks over at Small Camera Big Picture and Discover Mirrorless have been pushing. For those interested in doing more hybrid video, there's a lot of good information over there. Most if not all the article writers there are pros and are revealing how to "shoot smarter" and use time-saving tools to do eye catching work that customers will treasure.

Your video very much fits in their mold and is as good as anything I've seen over there.

20. Bots' Revenge

Bots' Revenge New to Mu-43

Nov 1, 2013
    @Talanis: I'm also a professional wedding photographer and I'm currently on a crossroad - I bought one Olympus E-PM2 and I really like it except when I try shooting in low light. Then my Nikon D3s with 24-70 f2.8 kills it. My major difficulty with it is focusing - it becomes tremendously slow. My question is - have you observed any difference in AF speed and confidence between tne E-PM2 and the E-M5?

I'm considering buying two more m4/3 cameras to shoot with three prime lenses but I want to be sure that I'll not be missing out on AF speed and accuracy if I choose to buy two more E-PM2s instead of E-P5 or E-PL5 or the OM-D. I would very much appreciate you feedback.

Thanks in andvance.