Hybrid duck ???

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been reliably informed that it's not unusual for domestic ducks to escape and make indiscriminate whoopy with the local wild population, often with creative results. I've been all excited about having spotted some rare species in the past, when in fact it's just been a local mongrel.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Not your average duck by Alex G, on Flickr

That said, yours does look particularly exotic! :)

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Mallard x wood duck hyrids wont have a red bill and would be quite different to that individual. I reckon it's a common shelduck x wood duck, i'd put money on it. The perceived mallard influence is the common shelduck.

poetsie

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all the information, I talked with a birdwatcher of the neighbourhood and nobody exactly knows what it is. But another guy told me it's a maillard crossed with a mandarin duck.
There are mandarin ducks here.

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
But another guy told me it's a maillard crossed with a mandarin duck.
There are mandarin ducks here.
I reckon he's wrong. Mandarin ducks are all over England, and all the hybrid shots i've seen show strong mandarin traits - definitely dominant over the other species. There is no mandarin duck in that bird.

Here's the male common shelduck x wood duck image from the link in post #15 ... i't the same bird as the OP imo. Bill details are identical, also note the cheek spot, eye colour and same dull (not mallard like) dark green head colour, the same.

Maybe you have a shot showing the back/tail plumage?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom