1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good luck to everyone in Sandy's path, and be careful. I hope our friends in affected areas will let us know how things are going. So far nothing too bad up here in Boston. My parents are on Long Island and waiting for the worst of it, which they say should be around 4pm EST.

• Like Like x 6
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Stay safe you guys, and don't take risks just to get a photo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    From the other side of the ocean, stay safe over there !!!!

C U,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  4. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My mother and sisters are in NJ, and so far, safe. I hope everyone stays safe and warm during what appears to be a nasty few days.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Northern NJ here. I thought I left behind those big nasty Hurricanes when I left Texas..... oh well.

Not too bad yet but we are a long way off from landfall.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    We're getting lots of rain here in northern Virginia (near D.C.). Winds are picking up, but nothing serious yet. They're forecasting 70 mph gusts for later today and close to 10 inches of rain. Should I see just how waterproof my OM-D and 12-25 are?

Glad I can work from home.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    In Baltimore, so far it is just a lot of rain. I guess it will get worse.
    Took mine out during the derecho to get some lightning shots. It did just fine, but make sure to wipe it off afterwards or it leaves this gross residue.

8. Ver7igo

Ver7igo Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    Just light rain so far, but the wind had already started picking up. Be safe everyone.

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Here in Detroit we are under a high wind advisory (30mph sustained with gusts exceeding 45mph) through tomorrow, with intermittent light rain. And we are, of course, over 600 miles from New York city - which gives some idea of this storm's reach inland.

I had assumed (incorrectly) when viewing the forecast over the weekend that our lousy weather was a separate system due to our distance from the Atlantic - but this morning's weather channel maps indicate that it is indeed an offshoot of Sandy.

Ya'll take care now, y'hear?

Jim

10. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    At this time...

hurricane_sandy_latest_20121029_143753.

• Like Like x 1
  11. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'll second that.

Best wishes

12. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Safety first you all. Photo opportunity second.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Stay safe all those up in the NE.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Gee, and I was thinking of doing the Dan Rather trick. :rolleyes:

(For those who don't know, when Dan Rather was a junior reporter he was sent down south to cover a hurricane (Carla, I think). He had his crew tie him to a telephone pole, or tree, or some such, so he could report on the hurricane while it was near its peak. :eek: This caught the eye of network executives and started his rise to the top.)

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ron White had a comment on something similar...

"... Now, let me explain somethin' to ya: it isn't that the wind is blowin', it's what the wind is blowin'. If you get hit by a Volvo, it doesn't matter how many sit-ups you did that morning."

(Thanks Meyer, I wasn't aware that Dan was that foolish; I salute his pursuit of his career, but that was a darned silly thing to do. Even combat photographers wear flack vests and helmets.)

Regards,

Jim

16. Nepherim

Nepherim Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    NJ, USA
  17. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
  18. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    :eek:Relatively large pine tree uprooted and hit the house.. just great.

19. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm about 40 miles north of Baltimore. It's not too bad here yet, if you can call 3.4 inches of rain
    and 30 mph winds "not too bad". Our road is flooding in both directions and the lights are flickering.
    I expect to lose power soon. They're saying worst is yet to come with increasing wind and gusts to 65 mph.
    I've been through a few hurricanes in the 25 years I've been here, but I've never seen effects
    this severe this far inland. Other than that, everything's just ducky here.

Interestingly, we have satellite internet and it hasn't lost the signal yet. We'll lose it
    with blue skies, but not in a hurricane...go figure. I own a weather station that is registered
    with NOAA's MADIS system. I'm just happy the internet is holding out to continue sending data for this event.

20. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    I'm in NoVA and conditions here are deteriorating now (~7:30pm EST). Doesn't look like we'll get hit as bad as further north or the coastal areas but I still expect to lose power at any time.

Took this pano from the sheltered confine of a local metro station a few hours ago. Nothing too dramatic but maybe others will share of their storm pics on this thread. And to those in this storm's path, good luck and stay safe.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/apbtlvr/8136695840/" title="Vienna Metro/ I66-Pano by apbtlvr, on Flickr"> 8136695840_c79d9e9c5b_b. "1024" height="257" alt="Vienna Metro/ I66-Pano"></a>