Hunting Baby Gators is Hard Work - Seriously Long Post

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 500, 1/400 @ f4.5, handheld
38556203592_413d3e2255_k.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Snowy Egret 001 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

I spent all of June thru October shooting from my kayak and the first part of November shooting from my Jeep, so last Tuesday was the first time since May that I had photographed wildlife from foot. I am not sure if the summer made me soft or if it was the significant increase in gear since my last hiking adventure. While I will admit that I could really feel the weight in my backpack, there is no way I could have carried that kind of full frame gear while covering 7 miles on foot (another great reminder to myself as to why I made the switch). Besides all the miscellaneous stuff I carry in the backpack for just in case (first-aid kit, ground cloth, camo burlap, etc.), I had the following gear:

• EM1 w/ grip
  • EM1
  • EM5 w/ full grip
  • MZ 300mm f4.0
  • ZD 150mm f2.0
  • ZD 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II
  • Bower 7.5mm Fisheye
  • MC-14
  • EC-14
  • MeFOTO C1350
  • 3D Printed Skimmer Pod
  • 3 Liters of Water
I knew adding the 300/4 was going to increase the weight I carried into the field, but didn’t expect to feel it as much as I did. Prior to this trip all I ever took was 1 EM1 w/ 150/2 and my EM5 w/ 7.5mm (plus Tri/Skimmer pod & TC’s), so it was a sizable increase in gear. Walking around with the pack on was fine, the f-stop Ajna rides really well, it was taking the pack on/off or trying to crawl with it on that I really felt the weight…………………well that and when I got home. I did go out again Saturday with the same gear and it really is a bit much. Problem is I don’t want to leave the 150/2 at home, so next trip I am going to leave the EM5 and 14-54 at home and see if that feels a bit better……………it may be just enough to make it bearable.

Anyways………………………………………..

As the sun was getting ready to come over the trees and do it’s magical thing I came across a Great Egret hunting along 40-Acre Lake at Brazos Bend State Park, so I stopped and setup. I was close enough that all I needed was the bare 300/4, which was good because I don’t want to lose that stop of light with the MC-14 at sunrise. Before the sun was able to poke over the trees the Great Egret flew off, but a Snowy Egret had landed a few minutes earlier on the other side of him. When I setup for the Great Egret I was slowly trying to work my way around him so I wouldn’t be shooting into the sun.

Well……………………

The Snowy was actually working his way along the edge of the lake towards me, so I just held my ground and captured that first shot above as he was walking towards me. That photo is a little soft and I blew the highlights, but I just liked the feel of the image so included it. Other than that Great Egret in my first 300/4 post (which I must add was shot in the fog without the sun), I have not photographed a white bird in probably a year or more. I forgot how hard they are to photograph, even in the beautiful early light. In the next few shots I set -1 to -1 1/3 EV and still had to work in post to pull as much detail out of the whites as I did. In each of them there are a few spots with no detail in the white, but overall I am really happy with how they turned out.

The Snowy was slowly moving along the edge of the lake and kicking his feet to scare up small fish and insects and it is not a behavior that really photographs well. So I shot about 5 minutes of handheld video of him hunting that I hope to find time to edit soon. When I get the video edited I will create a thread, but it is probably going to be a few weeks. I am really busy and editing video is new to me, so takes a bit of time.

You can tell in that first photo that I am a bit from the edge of the lake, which gave the Snowy enough room to move past me. The gator shots at the end of the post show the amount of bank I had to work with, they were taken just down the trail from where I photographed the Snowy. Here is a photo I snapped when he was even with me along the edge of the water. I want to add that in the first photo as well as the next 3, the f4.5 was a mistake because I wanted f4.0 but must have hit the dial (something I seem to do a lot when carrying the camera). Yes, these are handheld and not off my skimmer pod because I forgot to pull the pod off the backpack when I set it down, was kicking myself the entire time for that lapse.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 200, 1/500 @ f4.5, handheld
37734890605_7685d064fb_k.jpg

Snowy Egret 002 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

After he moved by me I turned around to find that the sun was finally working it’s magic and I spent the next 10 minutes photographing and shooting video. This next shot is probably the best with respect to detail in the whites.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 250, 1/320 @ f4.5, handheld
37734884655_4d020f69cb_k.jpg

Snowy Egret 003 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

I really love shooting birds head on and still trying to get that perfect one.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 320, 1/400 @ f4.5, handheld
37734896755_a7c5c48979_k.jpg

Snowy Egret 004 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

This is my favorite of all the Snowy Egret shots, you can really see how much detail the 300/4 can capture in his head feathers, especially when you don’t blow away the whites.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 400, 1/800 @ f4.0, handheld
24765823838_a7f807c578_k.jpg

Snowy Egret 005 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

All of the above photographs are at least 4000px on the longest side, so not much crop but a bit more than I would personally like (was afraid I would spook him if I tried to get 5 or so feet closer). According to exif I was around 40 feet from the Snowy. I guess the 300/4 is making me lazing because if I was shooting the 150/2 I would have been trying to get closer and switching/dropping TC’s as needed because of how magical the 150/2 is without a TC.

After the Snowy flew off the clouds rolled in and just killed the light. It stayed very cloudy the rest of the day, but a little bit before I left there was the occasional nice light that poked out a hole in the clouds. I was looking specifically for baby gators and had gone to one of my best spots prior to sunrise but they were nowhere to be found (guess the nest didn’t survive and that last years hatch got washed away in the floods). The reason I wanted to find baby gators (other than I love photographing them) was for a macro photography challenge. With not finding the babies early and the shit light I didn’t put much stock in finding anything for the challenge.

But………………………..

I happened upon this male Spotted Orbweaver during a brief bit of sunlight and was able to capture this photograph, which is what I entered. Voting is still in progress but it looks like it should end up in the top 10 if not top 5.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 + MC-14 - ISO 1000, 1/400 @ f5.6, tripod
38602717951_45907ce1ab_k.jpg

Said the Spider to the Mosquito by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

Brazos Bend State Park has flooded the last three years and after every flood you can see the flood level by the line on the trees. I have been trying to photograph this for 2 years now. This is the first attempt that I have liked enough to share. The line you see on the trees is about 6 feet above the trail and the actual water level is about 2 feet below the level of the trail, so the entire park was under a lot of water. The photo was processed using a PhotoShop technique to simulate the Orton Effect and I kind of like how it came out…………..a bit more artsy then what I normally do, but it works for the photograph.

EM1 w/ ZD 150mm f2.0 - ISO 800, 1/320 @ f5.6, handheld
38602725611_38c32e8a30_k.jpg

Flood Line by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

I finally made it down to Elm Lake and there is a section of swamp across from the lake that I can almost always find baby gators. I say almost always because on my return trip Saturday I couldn’t find one baby gator there and wouldn't you know I had beautiful light. I found 6 of them and I guess they are not technically baby gators because they are 2 1/2 or so and been booted out by mama. That puts them at about 2 1/2 feet long but still having the baby gator coloring that I love so much. The light was pure crap, but I have a few shots to share. This first one I took because he is so well camouflaged and it shows how hard they can be to spot. The photograph has a small crop to it, so he was pretty close at about 15 feet.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 640, 1/800 @ f4.0, Skimmer Pod
24765819078_4382f07c34_k.jpg

Baby Gator 001 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

This next one I shot at almost a 45 degree angle because I was to close (10 1/2 feet) for the bare lens to get all of him and not close enough to fill the frame just with what I call the head. I knew if I wanted to process the shot I could expand the canvas and fill with content aware, which is what I did. Now, I first want to say that I did a shitty job of the content aware because it’s not a shot I would put up for sale or anything. The final image is actually 4944x2781, so longer than the native resolution. I processed it and putting it hear because it’s the first photograph to show me just how great this lens is going to be for my baby gator photography. I really love the amount of detail that was captured in the gators eye, this one shot showed me that the lens was worth getting for baby gator photography. Is it crazy that I bought this magnificent telephoto lens to basically shoot very close-up photographs of baby gators and bullfrogs?

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 250, 1/250 @ f4.0, Skimmer Pod
24765826518_f2076272bf_k.jpg

Baby Gator 002 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

I was looking at the above photograph and wondered how a close crop would look. You see, this next photo is what I am wanting to accomplish with this lens in that it is the view that I want to fill the frame with. Based on the distance of the above photograph, I am confident that at minimum focus distance I will be able to create this view without cropping or resorting to using the MC-14. Then I decided to convert it to B&W and that is when the photograph just came alive. Unfortunately I didn’t decide to try this until after the spider photo was submitted and voting had started………….this crop and processing would have done much better in the challenge, that I am sure of.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 250, 1/250 @ f4.0, Skimmer Pod
38662458561_76ecd4e718_k.jpg

Baby Gator 003 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

The above photograph has a much larger crop than I typically do (2709x1524), but I really like how it turned out so plan on seeing how big I can print it. It will probably end up as metal print on my office wall, love printing B&W on metal.

These next two photographs are so I can talk about one thing that really frustrates me with the 300/4, well it is actually something I dislike about CDAF. While trying to shoot the next two photographs I switched to center point in hopes that it would work better (so the composition sucks), but it didn’t. The photos are also not cropped to give indication of how close I was, actually I would have preferred to be closer but that was not possible (should have thrown the MC-14 on)……………but I was not that far away. Until these photos I had always been pretty damn close to my subjects and the small focus point would fit inside the area I wanted to focus on. For this Little Blue Heron, the small focus point was larger than his neck or head………………..so every single time the camera would focus on the background. Compared to my 150/2, which would have locked focus in a split second when I put that focus point on his neck with that perfect vertical line. I could have put the focus point on his shoulder, but at closer distances you could end up with the head just out of focus because of the shallow DoF. I know this is something I will have to adjust to using the 300/4 and it’s CDAF focusing in SAF over the 150/2’s PDAF. It really sucks because in the space of a minute he caught that little frog (where I actually got a decent sharp photo with terrible composition from using center point) and a big huge spider that focused on the grass behind him. The entire reason I photograph birds hunting is to get photos of the unusual things they catch and these two catches would have been great to capture in well composed photographs.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 200, 1/800 @ f4.0, Handheld
24812763618_74a96230a6_k.jpg

Little Blue Heron 001 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

24812776938_535fee9227_k.jpg

Little Blue Heron 002 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

After the baby gators I was headed back to my Jeep (about a 2.5 mile walk) when I came upon this female Belted Kingfisher hunting at the spillway. If the light had been good I would have hung out there for a while in hopes of something better. But the light was terrible, so I snapped this as I went by and kept going.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 + MC-14 - ISO 640, 1/800 @ f5.6, Handheld
24812768268_45ecaa6e3e_k.jpg

Kingfisher 001 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

When I got back to 40-Acre Lake I came upon this 6 foot gator laying on the right side of the trail. This gave me a chance to shoot him with the bare lens and again with the MC-14. I was approximately 60 feet away for these photographs, which is an unusually far distance for me. Normally there is to much ground clutter to get a clear view from that distance, but it all just happened to work out. This also was the first real chance I had to shoot the same subject with and without the TC.

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 + MC-14 - ISO 250, 1/500 @ f5.6, Handheld
37967722304_34b86bc86c_k.jpg

Gator 001 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

26909694279_6d1baa30a2_k.jpg

Gator 002 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

Prior to this I had based my decision that the MC-14 was worth using from looking at photos taken in different situations. This was really the first time I had photographed the same subject from the same location to really get an idea. I have looked at these two photographs over and over at 100% and my current decision is that the MC-14 is worth using over cropping. The bare lens shot has about 6 inches more DoF, it has 18” compared to 12” with the MC-14. The teeth and the outside of the jaw are in focus in the no TC shot but fall to a soft focus with the TC because they are outside the DoF. That gives the perception that the photograph is sharper because you have more that is actually in sharp focus. My next comparison will be to shoot with the MC-14 then get close enough to get similar framing with the bare lens and see how it turns out. Which shouldn’t be hard since I am use to shooting them with the bare 150/2. I am going to guess that getting closer and using no TC will result in a better photograph, especially if I stop down to get the same DoF (which happens to also be the lenses sharpest aperture).

In the above photographs I was laying down the bank on the other side, which gave me the perfect chance to actually get the lens at ground level. I think me laying there made him nervous because shortly after taking the above photographs he crawled across the trail and laid down on the bank. Since this was right near where the shoreline made a 90 degree turn I decided it would be a good chance to take a very different kind of gator photograph than what I normally shoot. So, I moved around the bank to take a full body environmental portrait of the gator.

Now I know a lot of people really want me to do a comparison of the 150/2 w/ EC-20 against the 300/4, and I will do that in a few months. Until then this is the closes you will see to any type of comparison photographs. I shot him with the 300/4 and then decided I wanted a wider view so took one with the 150/2 also, kind of wish I had taken one with the EC-14 as well (think it would have been the perfect focal length for this shot). The photographs are processed the same for anyone wanting to compare the bare lenses, not that you can really do much comparison. Oh, I do plan to do a comparison of shooting the same subject with same framing, but this gator was not the one to do it with. He seemed a bit nervous even at the distance I was with the 300/4. I have found that the smaller gators are the ones that are more jumpy about people. The 8 footers and up (especially the 10-12 footers) are the ones that could care less about people. So it will have to wait for me to find the right gator. I know a lot of people think I am reckless and dangerous when it comes to my gator photography and I am not going to say I don’t ever take chances (you always are taking a chance any time you are around these animals). But I have a good understanding of them and their behaviors and I know when a gator is one to not approach to close, like this guy…………I knew it would be reckless and dangerous to try and photograph him up close with the 150/2, so I didn’t even attempt it………even tho I really want to do that comparison.

Anyways……………………………..

The photos………………………………….

EM1 w/ MZ 300mm f4.0 - ISO 200, 1/1600 @ f4.0, Handheld
37797950145_9b7533b3ba_k.jpg

Gator 003 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

Yes, his eyes are closed in the above photograph

EM1 w/ ZD 150mm f2.0 - ISO 200, 1/6400 @ f2.0, Handheld
37797945275_f21a8f1659_k.jpg

Gator 004 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

When I took the first two gator photographs I had dropped my backpack on the ground and left it there when I moved around the lake to take the above two photographs. When I went back to get my gear these two ladies with a stroller were approaching and that was when this photograph idea came into my head. I quickly grabbed the 150/2 and went to frame the shot, but was to close so had to back up. I also remembered I needed to stop down so I wouldn’t blow them away in the background (like shooting at f2.0 tends to do) and stopped down to f5.6 so I could at least keep them a little soft (didn’t want them in sharp focus and was worried f8.0 would do that). This was as close as they got (so maybe I should have stopped down to f8), they were to afraid to walk by the gator and turned around.

EM1 w/ ZD 150mm f2.0 - ISO 200, 1/320 @ f5.6, Handheld
38629235846_b27e493e32_k.jpg

Gator 005 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

After taking the above photograph this man asked me what he should do. You see, he was parked in the lot where this trail goes and the only other way to go would be about 6 miles of walking. That seems a bit excessive given that his car was about 1/2 mile down the trail past the gator. I told him if he walked along the bank on the other side the gator would not bother him, but to stay a few feet from the water on the other side because there were two gators over there. Those two gators in the water are what I think made the women turn around, couldn’t brave walking between three gators. Then I realized he had a small dog and quickly suggested he carry the dog, which he said he was planning on doing.

EM1 w/ ZD 150mm f2.0 - ISO 200, 1/320 @ f5.6, Handheld
37967730604_7b9351bb82_k.jpg

Gator 006 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

This photo is what I wanted with the women. He was the perfect distance away and I got exactly the amount of blur I wanted. Oh, the gator didn’t react to him, he had actually moved while I was talking to the guy.

I know it was a really long read and I thank anyone who stayed with it. I hope you enjoyed the photographs as well as the story about my day chasing after the elusive baby gator. I wish I had found them during the good light, but if you could always do that there would be no challenge in it and everyone would be photographing them. I will say that I am enjoying the 300/4 and that it really is worth it’s asking price. But now I am having to make serious decisions about what gear to bring into the field with me. I really got use to having that list at the beginning with me, but in the kayak it’s not a big deal. All of it in a backpack for what is normally a 5-10 mile day of hiking is starting to get on the heavy side. I am hoping that dropping the EM5 and 14-54 does the trick because I really don’t want to go out without the 150/2 and 300/4 and they were the only two lenses I used. I will keep the fisheye in the bag no matter what, I like that lens and it’s small/light.

But damn…………………………

It was a lot of work taking all that gear for a 7 mile walk on Tuesday followed by a 5 mile walk Saturday.

Until next time,

Phocal aka Ronnie

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Great work again Ronnie. You show incredibly patience and obviously have a wealth of animal savvy when it comes to getting the shots you do. Kudos! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

edit... forgot to add... I'm a huge fan of B&W and absolutely love the B&W shot you included!

Real Name
Danny
Will somebody please give that man a beer or 12 :)

Mate when you come back with shots like those it makes it all worthwhile and guess what, us nutters do it all over again, ha. Must show Jan these, she will love them Ron. Fine work as always, but really love the mum's and kids in the push chair (pram). Just fantastic to see.

All the best way up north, great shots and work Ron.

Danny.

Last edited:

Rasmus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These next two photographs are so I can talk about one thing that really frustrates me with the 300/4, well it is actually something I dislike about CDAF. While trying to shoot the next two photographs I switched to center point in hopes that it would work better (so the composition sucks), but it didn’t. The photos are also not cropped to give indication of how close I was, actually I would have preferred to be closer but that was not possible (should have thrown the MC-14 on)……………but I was not that far away. Until these photos I had always been pretty damn close to my subjects and the small focus point would fit inside the area I wanted to focus on. For this Little Blue Heron, the small focus point was larger than his neck or head………………..so every single time the camera would focus on the background. Compared to my 150/2, which would have locked focus in a split second when I put that focus point on his neck with that perfect vertical line. I could have put the focus point on his shoulder, but at closer distances you could end up with the head just out of focus because of the shallow DoF. I know this is something I will have to adjust to using the 300/4 and it’s CDAF focusing in SAF over the 150/2’s PDAF. It really sucks because in the space of a minute he caught that little frog (where I actually got a decent sharp photo with terrible composition from using center point) and a big huge spider that focused on the grass behind him. The entire reason I photograph birds hunting is to get photos of the unusual things they catch and these two catches would have been great to capture in well composed photographs.
This is EXACTLY why I sold my 35-100/2.8 and got the 35-100/2.0!

In fact, I even remember when I made that decision. It was when I shot this image:
07xBcSS5YqYy-hd48cxHLt_LijK6iWAUcPg7TDT0MX0Aqd8rAvY_7o0AIoey3tdVUg2jQTWYyAliWp4D4=w2048-h1536-no.jpg

100 mm, f/2.8, 1/160s, ISO 400.
Note how that tiny tree trunk is tack sharp, but the bear is out of focus. The AF point was right between the eyes of the bear, face detection etc was turned off, but the camera would lock focus on that tree trunk all the time. Im sure that this wouldn't have happened if the bear had been slightly further away (for some reason I didn't think of just asking the bear to take a few steps back) so I could have used the 150/2.0. And anyway the 150 was pointed 90 degrees away from this bear so I could get bears that posed in the little sunlit clearing in that direction.

Of course, next time I went on a wildlife photo trip nothing even came close enough for the 150, wide open with the 300/2.8 and 1 s exposure time was the trick on that trip...

Great work again Ronnie. You show incredibly patience and obviously have a wealth of animal savvy when it comes to getting the shots you do. Kudos! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

edit... forgot to add... I'm a huge fan of B&W and absolutely love the B&W shot you included!

Thank you and sometimes my patience even surprises me.

I really love how that shot turned out in B&W, just wish it wasn’t such an extreme crop.

Will somebody please give that man a beer or 12 :)

Mate when you come back with shots like those it makes it all worthwhile and guess what, us nutters do it all over again, ha. Must show Jan these, she will love them Ron. Fine work as always, but really love the mum's and kids in the push chair (pram). Just fantastic to see.

All the best way up north, great shots and work Ron.

Danny.

Thanks Danny and we do go back over and over again. I was happy with how that shot turned out, gives people an idea of how the gators interact with the people at the park.

Thanks again Danny

Ronnie

Another fantastic series! And that spider pic is incredible.

Thanks and it did turn out rather well. Wanted to try Focus bracketing (since that is one reason I got the lens) but he was moving and the wind was blowing, so not the right circumstances.

This is EXACTLY why I sold my 35-100/2.8 and got the 35-100/2.0!

In fact, I even remember when I made that decision. It was when I shot this image:
View attachment 592606
100 mm, f/2.8, 1/160s, ISO 400.
Note how that tiny tree trunk is tack sharp, but the bear is out of focus. The AF point was right between the eyes of the bear, face detection etc was turned off, but the camera would lock focus on that tree trunk all the time. Im sure that this wouldn't have happened if the bear had been slightly further away (for some reason I didn't think of just asking the bear to take a few steps back) so I could have used the 150/2.0. And anyway the 150 was pointed 90 degrees away from this bear so I could get bears that posed in the little sunlit clearing in that direction.

Of course, next time I went on a wildlife photo trip nothing even came close enough for the 150, wide open with the 300/2.8 and 1 s exposure time was the trick on that trip...

It’s kind of funny that I have been shooting Olympus for almost 3 years and I am just now complaining about this. I love the accuracy of CDAF over PDAF, but it has some serious short comings as I am finding out. If I had the EM1mk2 right now, I would be beyond frustrated with it’s larger focus points.......that would really drive me crazy..........even more reason to not buy one until they add the small focus point. I would love a way to force the camera to use PDAF in SAF with m4/3 lenses, that would solve my problem. I did try switching to CAF for the Little Blue Heron but have you ever tried to keep that focus point on that tiny neck that is moving all over the place? Was not going to happen. Guess from now on I will just have to get really close so the neck is wider than the small focus point.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom