Humpback whale in the bay of Akureyri - Iceland

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Broddan, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Broddan

Broddan Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2015

I really tested the weather sealing of my Em1. I was supposed to go out on open water from Husavik but it was to windy. In Akureyri the waters are more protected in a bay. A little more wind and not even they had gone out.

Its hard to tell but this first shot is me taken by my GF from upper deck where everybody beside i was standing. When they saw a whale they picked up the speed and when that was against the waves i got totally drenched. If i didn't had got good clothes my underwear would have been soaked with arctic water. When the boat lay still it was ok.

I had the Em1 w 40-150 2.8 completely unprotected, just shielding it with my body when i got showers but it got soaked as well, i constantly wiped the front of to be able to take shots. Poor conditions to shoot in to say the least.

I wouldn't recommend this condition for the camera but it came out ok. A little longer and i would have risked the sensor. I cleaned it by holding under a water tap right after the trip and roughly dried it of. Several hours later a took the lens of and it was a little dried saltwater pass the sealing but now i cleaned it up more carefully. But considering it was pretty amazing that it could handle that, the showers that hit was much harder than when i take a regular shower...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Broddan

Broddan Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    Some more shots from Iceland..

The waterfall is with my Ricoh GR..

• Like Like x 7