Hummingbirds - End of Season

DougVaughn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Doug Vaughn
They'll be flying south soon, so I'm trying to get my last shots in. I purchased a used Westcott Ice Light about a week ago and wanted to try it for a little fill as the favorite perches all seem to be backlit. These are all shot with the E-M10 and Olympus 75mm at f/2.8 and ISO of 250-320.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Very nice shots! Many of our Anna's will over winter where we live. Any chance that some of yours are not migratory as well?

--Ken

DougVaughn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Doug Vaughn
Very nice shots! Many of our Anna's will over winter where we live. Any chance that some of yours are not migratory as well?
Last year, they all seemed to leave about mid October. We have 6 - 8 that regularly hang around our house, so we have to keep the feeders full.

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fantastic! Great timing, and good idea to kick in a little fill light. Your subjects really show off the great detail and color rendition of the 75.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Doug,

Were you shooting remotely, or are your visitors comfortable with you being so close? We get multiple visits during the day, but they rarely sit still, excpet in the thick green hedges where it is almost impossible to photogrpah them as they completely blend in with their surroundings. :mad:

--Ken

DougVaughn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Doug Vaughn
Yes, these were shot remote, but the hummingbirds around our house will let you get VERY close. They'll eat at the feeder while you're two feet away once they gain some trust. We have one feeder with a perch, and I tried one day to get them to land on my finger placed on the perch. They would land about 3 inches away but never would sit on my finger... almost.

Basically it all takes more patience than I ever thought I had, but I enjoy watching them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom