Huge problem, maybe the death of my G2 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RaZZ3R, Mar 31, 2013.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    So this wasn't suppose to happen: yesterday I did some time laps photos (about 5 h on tripod taking one photo every 5 sec. with a remote control).

After that I put my battery to charge and my SD card in PC to download.

This morning I put back in the battery and the SD card and every time I started the camera the screen was black, the UI was there but it was like the cap was on. So I verified the lens, no cap on, and tried again with the same result. I change the lens to see if that's the issue and then I saw that the shutter was closed. The shutter doesn't want to move, I haved tried on/off switch, I tried the the settings: Clean the sensor, Shoot without the lens, nothing seems to work. I'm afraid that the shutter has, for unknown reason to me, stuck and made my G2 useless.

Could someone please help me with this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    In the menu there is a full reset option. Not sure it might work but you can try it.

3. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    That's for resseting your settings in the camera, tried that to, to no avail.

4. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
  5. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Anyone ? Help ?!?

6. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Just a random idea: Have you tried to force* open the shutter?

To me it seems like a hardware defect. Maybe the shutter got stuck. To rule out software issues you may want to try to update the firmware. This might flush out any software exceptions, etc.

Otherwise only the Pana Service might help.

---
    *) gentle force that is

7. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I re-installed firmware with no success in solving the problem. I tried, also, to open up, gently, the shutter but it closes down forcefully. I tried to keep it open and off the camera then on again and it still closes down. I even tried, by keeping the shutter open, to press the shutter button and discard the battery at the same time and it still doesn't work.

I'm afraid that I will have to take my camera on a 150 km trip to the nearest repair shop and it will cost me more then half of what I paid my camera originally.

I think I'm going to have to buy a new one for now, when I get some money.

8. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Maybe you can get a quote from the repair shop. They probably know what a shutter mechanism replacement will cost. You could then decided whether to repair the G2 or go for a newer cam (with the rumored G6 introduction next week the G5 might drop in price).

9. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    In an interesting turn of events I did managed to reset the shutter curtain, not shore what I did right, twice. First time I got happy, maybe to happy, and I tried to take o shot in hopes that it all OK but it closed and remained that way once again and after trying the second time it worked (I used a pens to force the shutter curtain in the upwords position and turn the camera off then on again) but I fear to take a picture for not to close once more and remain that way, so now I can, at least, make video so it's not a paper weight.

I tried to disassembly the camera to at least try to fix the issue (I know it's not recommended but until recently it was just a paper weight so I didn't thought it would be a to great loss) and I couldn't fix it, didn't managed to arrive to the shutter mechanism but at least I didn't break anything except one screw on the metal mount.

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Sounds like a great reason to acquire a new camera :yahoo:

11. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    ... yes but I'm not that happy because it camed at an inopportune moment, being jobless since December, so not being able to use the camera, for photographic "itches", until I manage to get enough money to buy the one I want or sacrifice for the one I need (aka cheap) until I get enough money to get the one I want :p

12. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    Sounds like a G5 may be in your future. Great camera, great price, which may get greater after the G6 announcement.

13. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I'm starting to aspire for more then G5 in the sens that I'm starting to print bigger and bigger and I want to go beyond 20*30 inch for printing landscapes and I started getting into Astrophotography where I need excellent high ISO performance.

Don't get me wrong I still have a place in my heart for Micro Four Thirds and I thing I will still get one as an intermediary to keep me going until I can get the money for a Full Frame. Maybe a GF or a E-P as a back-up-light-weight-small-size-cheap-price fun camera.

Back on topic, I will try to get the G2 to a shop for fixing but if it's not possible or to costly I would need an idea how to get the mode dial stuck to movie mode so it wouldn't move by accident and close the shutter curtain ... again ...