'Huge' firmware update coming for the EM1

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
....according to 43rumors.....

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-yep-silver-e-m1-and-huge-firmware-update-coming/#disqus_thread

Obviously good news (if it is true). 43rumors speculates that there might be 4k video introduced in the firmware update. That seems fairly unlikely to me as I doubt the EM1 would have the hardware specs - heat, processor etc - 4k. Well we can obviously wait and see what it turns out to be or we can just go and speculate ourselves.

I think it is quite likely to be a revised touch screen menu system partly because Olympus has already mentioned this and partly because the existing touch screen menu functionality is so feeble. It would make sense to introduce this along with the new EPL7.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Even though I don't own one, I'm hoping to see better Wi-Fi functionality:
a) Transfer RAW as well as JPEG
b) EVF and camera controls still operate while in Wi-Fi mode

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The improvements that I would like to see would be:

- More options for video than the current 30fps etc, it doesn't have to be 4K.

- Greater compatibility with 4/3 lenses, especially in video mode, such as continuous tracking.

- More options with WiFi or HDMI, such as for Windows OS, for full tethering.

- An ability to set focus limiting, ie near/far points, in-camera, especially for long FL lenses.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Maybe they can enable firmware updates via SD card and rolling back as well. :)

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
I think that this list on 43rumors is bull****. It looks like a video wish list more than something real. I wish I could get 24p and better codecs on the E-M5 but Olympus does not seem to add functionality to their camera once sold. :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

Aqualung

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I don't need 4k video, but do want:

- ability to have separate exposure steps for ISO and aperture
- metering point to move w/ the focus point, notably in single point & spot mode
- better 'AF-ON' control
- ability to set a '100%' zoom mode (in) via a button push, and zoom back out, again, via a single button push

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
....according to 43rumors.....

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-yep-silver-e-m1-and-huge-firmware-update-coming/#disqus_thread

Obviously good news (if it is true). 43rumors speculates that there might be 4k video introduced in the firmware update. That seems fairly unlikely to me as I doubt the EM1 would have the hardware specs - heat, processor etc - 4k. Well we can obviously wait and see what it turns out to be or we can just go and speculate ourselves.

Considering the state of 2K video on the E-M1, I'm not sure what would make 4K exciting. The biggest problem with E-M1 video implementation isn't the lack of resolution, it's the mediocre codec and the rolling shutter readout which result in lots of artifacts.

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
The specs listed on 43rumors are too "pro video" orientated and Olympus doesn't have a big "pro video" background. Can a firmware update change the video codec for example? Of course I am not an engineer, so we'll have to wait and see :)

Real Name
Nic
I think that this list on 43rumors is bull****. It looks like a video wish list more than something real. I wish I could get 24p and better codecs on the E-M5 but Olympus does not seem to add functionality to their camera once sold. :(

That was was once true but they broke that rule in recent times with some nice updates to the E-M5 and E-P5. I dunno how much of this list is accurate however. Heck, I dunno what half of that video jargon even means!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Sheer speculation on my part with no knowledge to support it: Maybe the capabilities are there on the chip/electronics but Olympus didn't have the firmware worked out. So, they release the EM1 with plans to "unleash" the video capabilities later. I also watch a lot of SciFi.:Dexter:

riverr02

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rafael
Think from everything I've read that it's "technically" possible to add 4k video, especially given the Panasonic sourced sensor. Though many may not feel they need 4k video, there are photographic applications that could make it useful for some, not the least of which is to pull I believe 8 megapixel stills from video. It also reminds me of Henry Ford's saying that if he had asked people what they wanted when he designed the first mass-produced car, they would've said a faster horse. Engineers design solutions for problems we sometimes aren't sure we have at the time, only to find those same solutions indispensable down the road.

I don't mean to be crabby, but I wish people would stop posting what they didn't need in firmware updates. It serves as a disincentive for companies- who I would think regularly review these sites- to meet the needs of other consumers with dissimilar needs.

nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry
Sheer speculation on my part with no knowledge to support it: Maybe the capabilities are there on the chip/electronics but Olympus didn't have the firmware worked out. So, they release the EM1 with plans to "unleash" the video capabilities later. I also watch a lot of SciFi.:Dexter:

This is certainly quite possible if the TruePic VII engine has the processing power. However, the GH4 apparently has dedicated hardware for 4K and DFD, ie this is not firmware or "micro-code" but dedicated silicon. It really depends on the design approach. We often put in the underpinnings for follow on features in our software, that we take advantage of later. But, given the sheer volume of a high bitrate 4K video stream I would take any 4K possibility with a large grain of salt.

Personally a high bit rate 1080/24p would more than enough for what I want to do with video.

stripedrex

Do or do not. There is no try.
Real Name
Alex
http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-this-is...s-coming-with-the-next-e-m1-firmware-upgrade/

I know this is just a rumor but specifics on 4k being a possibility is now FT3 so hoping the 1 MAJOR gripe I have with M43 is resolved. It always irked me Olympus has 5-axis image stabilization but Panasonic has the right codecs and video implementation. I bought and EM1 and deal with the poor video codec since I value the usefulness of stabilized video over a good codec. Aside from being an optimist I believe there's a good chance for this to happen based on the following:
- e-m1 needs to stay competitive for awhile as flagship camera. It won't fair well as Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, etc start coming out with 4k options while e-m1 may have another year or 2 as their flagship (in the video world gh4 is making a pretty big impact and if i read sales results correctly it's selling better than expected. 4k's as a valuable offering is proven imo). If I didn't hear this rumor I was about to try my hand at the gh4 not just for video but for my son in sports by grabbing 8mp stills from video. I have a feeling that may become a regular practice for me if I had it.
- As stated they switched to Panasonic sensor which makes sense it can handle 4k (hopefully the Olympus processor can handle the data stream without too much sacrifice like poorer autofocus)
- At least for me aside from improving focus peaking and further improvements in sensor technologies Olympus has just about everything done right for photographers, I think they can shift some focus on video now
- There have been at least one leadership statement I recall where video is now more of a focus for Olympus going forward. I do know the 'premium' market is the goal for them and 4k is what'll be hot the next few years in the 'premium' market.
- With Olympus following the example of Fuji and major features in updates (0 second delay) this would follow those footsteps. Company's seem to understand loyalty comes from things like this so it seems this would follow that trend.
- I'm in technology, I know what it's like to introduce a new feature your staff may not have the know how for. It's possible Olympus has bugs and details they needed to work out on the e-m1 and decided to release it with their older tech for now with planned updates later.

1 thing I hope doesn't happen is for Olympus to limit their 4k capacity because perhaps part of the agreement for them to use the sensor is to leave advanced codecs, zebra and other video capabilities to Panasonic.

Hey, maybe if we see Panasonic sensors and 4k video on Olympus we'll see 5-axis on Panasonic? Maybe even em-10's 3-axis?

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
There is talk of the EVF getting orientation-sensor auto-switching of the shooting parameters à La Fuji. As a stills-only photographer, I'd be happy with Live Composite mode (like on the E-M10) and improved continuous AF.

tomO2013

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My personal wishlist....
- A higher frame rate focus peaking with more adjustments to the contrast area would be nice for those of us with manual lenses.
- Software based focus limiter for the longer lenses - but I suspect that Panasonic would be closer to providing this type of functionality off the back of their DFD than Olympus.

- 'Borrow' the DFD type of approach and combine it with PDAF in the EM1. i.e. profile all the Oly lenses and update the existing CDAF algorithm to take into account the defocused area)

- It would be useful if the AF-Tracking mode be user programmed to tell the AF module the type of tracking it will be doing (Canon and Nikon have provided this for years... should just be a simple software update).

zlatko-photo

Mu-43 Veteran
I doubt this rumor is true.

My wish list is short and simple:
1) Add ability to save all of a user's customizations (every button, every MySet, etc.) and export them to SD card, and import them from SD card. This way if customizations ever get lost they can quickly be imported. Likewise, they can quickly be transferred to a 2nd camera.

Zee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Surry Hills, Aus/ Baguio & Manila, Philippines
Think from everything I've read that it's "technically" possible to add 4k video, especially given the Panasonic sourced sensor. Though many may not feel they need 4k video, there are photographic applications that could make it useful for some, not the least of which is to pull I believe 8 megapixel stills from video. It also reminds me of Henry Ford's saying that if he had asked people what they wanted when he designed the first mass-produced car, they would've said a faster horse. Engineers design solutions for problems we sometimes aren't sure we have at the time, only to find those same solutions indispensable down the road.

I don't mean to be crabby, but I wish people would stop posting what they didn't need in firmware updates. It serves as a disincentive for companies- who I would think regularly review these sites- to meet the needs of other consumers with dissimilar needs.

Actually, I agree - I'd rather see updates with improvements to the overall capabilities, even if I don't use them personally, than no improvement at all.

Having said that - it would be awesome to have FW that allowed you to map button via an app on your tablet/phone/PC. Imagine an image of your camera, with lines leading from each button to an empty box. Into that empty box, you drag and drop the function you want to be there...

Then click "SAVE PROFILE/UPLOAD" at which point, it is saved as a setup file, and also sent to the camera.

I've said it before, and will say it again, ALL modern digital cameras should work like this. Every. Single. One.

Z...

Latest threads

Top Bottom