Huge DNGs

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by deanwenick, Feb 23, 2010.

1. deanwenick

deanwenick New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2010
    Hi -

I use a Panasonic L1 and am considering a GF1. My workflow is RAW to DNG. I just did some tests with a camera in the store - when I got home my RAW files were about 14MB yet when I converted to DNG using DNG converter the files ended up at 45-50 MB each! Do others have that issue? Is there a better DNG converter for the GF1?

Thanks for any info.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Welcome home...
    There is a thread here somewhere that addressed this exact issue.....
    I'll try to find it and post a link....
  3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    DNG converter

There are several options when you convert to DNG using Adobe DNG converter. Have a look under preferences to see what options you are selecting.
    You can make the files compatible with older versions of Photoshop but this makes the files much bigger.

Also are you using the latest version? 5.6 is the current version and this converts files to around the 12-14MB size if you are converting them for compatibility with the latest version of Photoshop (CS4). If however you need to convert them for previous versions such as CS3 then the files will be about 50MB as you mention.

If you don't have it - this is the 5.6 update for Windows:-

This is the 5.6 update for Mac:-
  4. stickan1

stickan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    I always use DNG with Lightroom, which is using the Adobe DNG-converter. I usually get DNG-files around 14-15 Mb for the GF1. But there is an option to save the DNG together with the original RAW-files which of course result in huge files!
  5. deanwenick

deanwenick New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2010
    help on huge DNGs - thanks

Thanks all for the input. Interesting results.
    First: I should have given more information. I do not embed the original files and I am still running Photoshop 10 (CS2).

DNG converter set to convert for CS4 makes reasonable sized DNGs ~14MB with full size preview.
    Converting for compatibility with previous versions of Photoshop (even CS3) really bloats the files.

This is quite interesting as RAW files from my Nikon, Kodak, Panasonic and Canon cameras all convert to DNG v.2.4 at approximately the same size as the camera original. Strange, I think.

Thanks for the help.
  6. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    I remember when the first camera raw version that converted the G1 files came out, Adobe said that it was a "temporary" version and that the files would be big to start with. They were indeed, and it was pointless converting them, as they were 45-50MB. Later versions of ACR got this down to reasonable sizes.

I don't know enough about how these things work, so I'm guessing when I suggest it might have something to do with the software "corrections" that Panasonic include in their raw conversions. i.e. distortion and chromatic aberration. Its the only thing I can think of, because like you I've never encountered this size of converted file before.