Huge design fault with G9

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
My G9 must have had a bump, I certainly didn’t notice it but came back to the table to find the housing for the screen hinge had “fallen off” and the screw lug was in pieces. How can they make a magnesium body camera with a part that is so easily damaged??!!!

Last edited:
How do you carry the camera? It look it took a blow to the side,such as swinging into a hard surface. I have started attaching my many of my cameras with bottom mounts on the base ,such as Peak Design straps. That way the touch screen door on the back opens easier. My Eye piece on the G-9 did fall off and has not been seen since.

Real Name
Ian
That's not a design fault. That's a use fault, as you likely impacted the corner of the camera, causing the plastic to break. Making that same piece out of metal would be much more difficult and expensive than molding it out of plastic.

Yet another reason why things like an RRS base plate are advantageous in protecting the camera, as the metal plate helps protect the camera from bumps. Not certain if they have a full base plate for the G9 like they do for the E-M1 II though.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
No matter how good the material, those flippy screens are the weakest link for durability. With these larger size cameras, the flippy screen for selfies is not really needed. It's not the ideal selfie blogging camera. The tilt screen would have been enough.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No matter how good the material, those flippy screens are the weakest link for durability. With these larger size cameras, the flippy screen for selfies is not really needed. It's not the ideal selfie blogging camera. The tilt screen would have been enough.
Yep. I remember tons of people making this point when flip screens started to gain popularity. And we have seen post after post about those screens breaking. Oh wait, no we haven't. Hmmm, strange...could the internet have been wrong???

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran
That's not a design fault. That's a use fault, as you likely impacted the corner of the camera, causing the plastic to break. Making that same piece out of metal would be much more difficult and expensive than molding it out of plastic.

Yet another reason why things like an RRS base plate are advantageous in protecting the camera, as the metal plate helps protect the camera from bumps. Not certain if they have a full base plate for the G9 like they do for the E-M1 II though.
They very unfortunately do not have a full base plate for the G9, or GH5. At least with the GH5 you can buy a cheap chinese plate, for the G9 RRS seems to be the only one making anything for it and it's just one of the crappy half plates.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
They very unfortunately do not have a full base plate for the G9, or GH5. At least with the GH5 you can buy a cheap chinese plate, for the G9 RRS seems to be the only one making anything for it and it's just one of the crappy half plates.
Well you can get a full cage from smallrig

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yep. I remember tons of people making this point when flip screens started to gain popularity. And we have seen post after post about those screens breaking. Oh wait, no we haven't. Hmmm, strange...could the internet have been wrong???
In the camera club I am in there is a person who organises African photo tours. He indicates while not common, broken flippy screens are the most common camera part to break on safari. But I guess there may be multiple people walking around tripods, not sure.

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran

For me it is a design fault; or maybe a “design error” is a better phrase. The plastic hinge cover coud easily be made from the same material as the body, it might cost a few dollars more but not much. It is the corner of the camera and therefore more likely to get a ding now and then. Lets see how much a new piece of moulded plastic costs to replace this one.......! My feeling is this is one of those rip off intentional errors, likely to make me want to drop the camera (if you will pardon the pun) completely. The access to the single retaining screw is a metal plate on the base of the camera, seems a lot of trouble to go to to design something that can break so easily, I dont even recall any impact that could have caused it.....

Real Name
Ian
For me it is a design fault; or maybe a “design error” is a better phrase. The plastic hinge cover coud easily be made from the same material as the body, it might cost a few dollars more but not much. It is the corner of the camera and therefore more likely to get a ding now and then. Lets see how much a new piece of moulded plastic costs to replace this one.......! My feeling is this is one of those rip off intentional errors, likely to make me want to drop the camera (if you will pardon the pun) completely. The access to the single retaining screw is a metal plate on the base of the camera, seems a lot of trouble to go to to design something that can break so easily, I dont even recall any impact that could have caused it.....
I don't disagree with you. If the chassis of the camera body can be made from metal, there's no reason that part can't either. Especially given that it's on the corner of the camera, where it's bound to take more bumps (but may that's why they went with Polycarbonate, due to its impact resistance).

FWIW, the E-M1 II uses a very similar design, however rather than having the plastic run all the way down to the bottom of the camera's edge like on the G9, the plastic ends before the bottom of the camera, which is entirely metal. This should give that area of the camera a bit more impact protection. I know it doesn't help you in your situation, but it shows that not all fully articulating screens are the same.

Sorry for your situation. The good news is that at least it's not a PanaLeica product, so you can get it repaired rather than being forced to buy a refurbished copy at 85% of the new price.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Out of curiosity, does this impact the functionality of the device in any way? I understand that it exposes the hardware to the elements, but it looks like everything underneath the little plastic cover part is robustly made and will continue to work exactly as intended.

It seems like the purpose of the design is to have a cheap cover piece that can be easily removed in order to service the important parts of the mechanism.

Understandably no one likes when their new camera breaks. But if a non-essential part breaks as a result of an obvious impact (the piece didn't fall off by itself), there's only some much one can complain about it. It looks to be mainly an aesthetic concern in this case.

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Out of curiosity, does this impact the functionality of the device in any way? I understand that it exposes the hardware to the elements, but it looks like everything underneath the little plastic cover part is robustly made and will continue to work exactly as intended.

It seems like the purpose of the design is to have a cheap cover piece that can be easily removed in order to service the important parts of the mechanism.

Understandably no one likes when their new camera breaks. But if a non-essential part breaks as a result of an obvious impact (the piece didn't fall off by itself), there's only some much one can complain about it. It looks to be mainly an aesthetic concern in this case.
I probably agree with you. Its just annoying when it happens without any reason, I dont recall any impact that could have caused this but there is a mark on the corner of the cover so I guess I did bang it off something. I am sure it will continue to work but it seems clear to me from the design aesthetic that it is intended to fail on impact (look closely at the pics I posted). I bought the G9 on the basis it was a camera you could use in the field and this kind of thing would not happen. Very suprised to find there are bits that can fall off if it gets a small bump. Hope I get it repaired for small money I have a £150 excess on my cameras insurance policy.......will be more careful from here on in!! Looking at my Canon 5D mark IV it clearly will not have this issue as the screen is non articulating, but it also makes my move back to full frame for wildlife seem more justified.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate it's cheap plastic, arrg! I have the G9 also and you got me thinking, but other than a previous GX8, all of my flippy tilty screen panasonics have been plastic bodied, even the partial mag G85 but I've never had a problem with any of them. Never dropped any of them, and years later they've all looked mint or close to it.

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It is unfortunate it's cheap plastic, arrg! I have the G9 also and you got me thinking, but other than a previous GX8, all of my flippy tilty screen panasonics have been plastic bodied, even the partial mag G85 but I've never had a problem with any of them. Never dropped any of them, and years later they've all looked mint or close to it.
I have been doing a bit of rough stuff in the field as it were and if I did my usual sedate work with the camera in a proper bag etc this would probably not have happened. Its not the end of the world but just wanted to bring it to the attention of G9 users. Maybe get a silicon body cover to make sure it does not happen to you.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
Perhaps the plastic piece is a sacrificial part, designed to fail on impact? I guess that a metal piece could deform instead, and jam the hinge mechanism.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have been doing a bit of rough stuff in the field as it were and if I did my usual sedate work with the camera in a proper bag etc this would probably not have happened. Its not the end of the world but just wanted to bring it to the attention of G9 users. Maybe get a silicon body cover to make sure it does not happen to you.
I wonder if this is why the likes of Nikon mainly use tiltable rear screens, to make them more rugged ?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom