1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HTC One M9 versus Samsung S6 versus ?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Aushiker, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Having managed to damaged the screen on my HTC One M7 and being close to coming out of contract I am looking at upgrading. My preference is to stay with my telco, Telstra so the options are limited to what they offer which you can see here.

I am happy staying with Android but would consider Apple or Windows IF the camera options warrant it, otherwise my initial short list is HTC One M9 (top of the list), Samsung S6 (dated?) second on the list or maybe going back to Apple.

Suggestions, thoughts? HTC One M9 the best camera option currently? Is the camera different on the iPhone 6 versus the iPhone 6 Plus?

Thanks
    Andrew

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Honestly, of what's there the iPhone 6+ is going to have the best camera. It is honestly a pretty good phone, and I say this from the perspective of an Android user who's a Windows lifer at heart. If they offered the Nomia Lumia 1520 I'd say go for that in a heartbeat - still a better camera than anything else out there except the 1020, with a little selective manual control tweaking.

Android is the weakest purely from the software perspective, it just doesn't utilize the good sensors phones are packed with to the same level that Apple or Microsoft does.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    I have an M9 for trade if you have a GM5! Have had the m9, m8, m7, s6 edge and i6. The iPhone has the nicest ecosystem, the m9 has the nicest build and android UI, and the Samsung is nice but always feels a little cheap. It's all subjective though. Android has more than enough apps for me...sometimes iOS has a few more but I never feel like I am missing out by sticking with my androids.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    It seems that they never offered the Nokia Lumia 1520 and the one virtual telco I found who did offer it (out of stock but) does not use Telstra's 4G network. Given the size of Australia and its remoteness Telstra is the only choice for me in terms of coverage.

Andrew

5. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    And I'd have to say Windows has the weakest software ecosystem....there's so few apps but at least they are easy to use :)

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    All depends on whether they have the apps you need to use. I'll admit that there are a few things I still wanted an Android tablet for when I used WP, but as those are separate experiences and use cases it works out fine. As non-iPhone users we both already sacrifice a lot of the app ecosystem, since there are a lot of apps (especially games) that don't make it out of the iron grasp of the iOS ecosystem.

7. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've got an S6 and the camera is very impressive. From what I've read the M9 had the weakest camera, and the S6 and 6S were much the same. Personally I wouldn't pay over the odds just to have an Apple phone, unless you are already part of the Apple ecosystem and then it makes sense to keep it all the same!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

One thing to consider is that the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6+ may have the same sensor but only the iPhone 6+ has physical image stabilization so they're best treated as being different cameras.

9. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    After a ton of reading and looking at comparison photos and the comments here I think the Samsung Galaxy S6 will the be way to go for me unless I can be convinced to go to an iPhone 6+. I am happy with the Android system but also have an iPad so not bothered with switching over to an iPhone but from what I have seen and read I think the Galaxy S6 is a marginally better camera. Also the Galaxy S6 Edge is way cool and heck you only live once :) One other plus is that the Galaxy S6 is optimized for remote area reception on the Telstra network ... a real bonus for me.

The iPhone 6+ image stabilization is appealing but.

I will make the decision on Thursday when I can go to the local Telstra shop.

Andrew

10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I'm not sure how far along the camera has come on the S6, but I prefer the camera on my iPhone 6+ by a wide margin over my last two Android phones, an S4 and a Note 2.

The reason I finally switched to an iPhone was it's promise of better battery life and in that regard, the 6+ doesn't disappoint. Where I used to go thru two batteries on the Note 2 and three batteries on the S6 during the course of one day, I can manage a whole day on one charge on the 6+. For me, battery life is a top priority and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 6+ if I had to do it all over again. The camera itself is a nice bonus as is the fact that I live in an Apple eco-system.

FWIW, I'm typing this on my iPhone now at nearly 7pm and my battery gauge is at exactly 50%.

11. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Just remember that iPhone 6 & 6+ are not blue-ticked (a must for remote areas). Samsung S6 is. I'd go for the Samsung.

12. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    I saw that and I also noted that the Galaxy S6 Edge is not ticked which seems odd. I haven't found anything which suggests the technical specifications are different.

Andrew

13. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Who knows what tiny little thing they might have done differently in the Edge? Also, it can take some time before Telstra (or whoever it is) actually test the phones. It seems some phones are never tested so will never see a tick even though they might be as good. And then some blue-ticked wont work better than non-ticked. It probably wont help to ask at Telstra either, 'cos they wouldn't know more than us. Trial and error was the way we figured out what works at our place.

Sorry to be so pessimistic. I'd still go for the S6 ;)

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    This is my unscientific ranking of camera quality rankings based mostly on head-to-head comparisons, and taking into account overall image quality (exposure, colours, dynamic range, noise, detail). With the exception of the Lumia 1020 which is very slow, they all are super-modern smartphones with more processing power than all the cameras you own combined, and so will all be about at parity (assuming you have the latest software installed).

1) Panasonic Lumix CM1*
    2) LG G4* / Samsung Galaxy S6 (tie)
    3) Lumia 1020*
    4) Lumia 1520/930*
    5) iPhone 6+
    6) Samsung Note 4 / iPhone 6 (tie)
    ...everything else.

*shoots RAW

The main advantage of the iPhone is its no-fuss image processing. Most of the time it gets it exposure, white balance, and colour pretty much right. Its image processing at the pixel level tends to be better than most of the others, with well balanced noise reduction and sharpening. However, comparing at the pixel level is not that useful, since the iPhones only have half as many pixels, so the 16-20MP cameras (not to mention the 41MP one) turn out much more detailed results when downsampled to the same size. Artifacts are a lot more noticeable on the iPhone.

Shooting RAW also lets you take that noise reduction and sharpening into your own hands, if you're interested in that. Probably not for casual snapshots, but if you take a photo that you really love, you'll get a lot more detail by processing the RAW file directly. The one exception is highly contrasty scenes, where the in-camera HDR is really quite necessary for small-sensor phone cameras.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Everyone talks about Samsung and Apple, while LG has snuck probably the best camera into their G4 model. It has a 1/2.6" sensor with an f1.8 lens and RAW shooting if desired. Compared to the S6 is has advatanges of OIS, bigger screen, SD slot for added memory, bigger battery. Looks like it is one of the cheaper phones on your service, too.

Biggest downer for Apple is that they charge $200 more for 128GB of memory and they have no way to add an SD card. If you get the base model with 16GB (Which still costs as much as the flagship Androids), you run out of storage for photos really quickly. They also have poor manual control features and the App advantage is quickly eroding, if not all the way gone at this point.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I didn't look at the list of options.

Given that Telstra has the LG G4, it is far and away the best option - best camera at the lowest price. Win, win.

17. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    From the ones mentioned, G4. For me personally, i don't think i need a phone "better" (or more expensive) than a Sony Xperia Z4. Alternatively, if you're willing to wait a bit, Oneplustwo. Premium phone for half the price.

18. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Thanks for the heads-up. It does look interesting but from a quick read at Whirlpool it seems that at least the first version may not work our networks or only in selected areas where updates to the network have occurred. Therefore not much use to me.

Andrew

19. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered the G4 but now it is top of the list despite a few odd decisions made by LG in its design.

It also seems that there are possibly significant issues with the Samsung Galaxy S6 and getting reception which appear not to have been resolved, so I am no longer so keen on it; pity as it does have the remote area 3G tick of approval.

Andrew

20. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    If you do get it, I think a few of us here would be interested in a little camera review if you have the time. It's definitely my top contender right now for when I need to replace my Nexus 4 (within the next 6 months, I'd guess). I'm just waiting to see what fall brings from Microsoft with their camera phones, but if nothing spectacular, the G4 looks like its quite future proof at this point.