HS Musical w/ E-M5 mk2 - Help?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jgmankos, Mar 11, 2016.

1. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    Ok...need some advice here. Let me preface it with this...I'm by no means a video guy.

My daughter is involved with the high school's theater program. Normally every year they make a DVD of the production and offer it for sale. For whatever reason, this year they're not doing this. This is her Junior year and the first time she has a fairly sizeable role and I'd like to try and get her some kind of decent video of the production. They have a 'Parent Preview' night where they allow photography and video and I can set up there on a tripod.

So, what I have is an E-M5 Mark II which is what I was planning on using. I do have some questions about using this camera to make sure I'm prepared since I'm totally new at this...so anyone who's shot video with the E-M5 II and can chime in I'd appreciate it.
    • How long will I get out of a battery charge? I have several batteries, but having it run out mid-scene worries me. These shows usually have 2 acts that are about 45 minutes to an hour long each.
    • What size card would I need to get an hours worth of HD video on (assuming I'm changing cards at intermission)
    • I have the 14-140 II and the 12-50 at my disposal. Would anyone recommend either one? I almost am leaning towards the 12-50...I beleive for this production it should be long enough and I like the power zoom for smoother zooming for video.
    I did pick up a Takstar shotgun mic since I figured the on-board mic wouldn't cut it.

Anything else I should be considering (besides, of course, paying someone to do it, which I'm not gonna do). I figure some video for her to have is better than none, but I want to do as good as I can for her.

Any thoughts, or anything else I should be taking into consideration?

Thanks

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I'm not an expert, either, but I'm pretty sure that the max clip length is 30 mins. You may want to start and stop between each scene.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't know if you are aware of the very cool electronic zoom-in feature Olympus has during video. You press the function 2 button and it lets you pick area to zoom into. press again and it zooms in. Press again and it zooms back out.
    I think you have the right idea with 12-50 zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.