HS basketball

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just got through shooting a game with the 17/1.8. I tried the 17 as a fast prime alternative to the 12-40/2.8.
But I encountered something that I never had before.
The image distortion on the sides of the image, when panning the camera while following the players, was REALLY bothersome to my eye and brain.
The odd thing is I never had that bothersome feeling with the m4/3 12-40 or the DX 18-140, even in the wide position. Maybe the ability to zoom countered the distortion.

The wide 17 worked much better than the normal 35 on a DX camera. I did not have as much trouble on the close shots.

I just wish the zoom ring on the 12-40/2.8 was easier to turn.
Constantly turning a stuff zoom ring is very tiring.

I was thinking that a 45/1.8 would have been a nice companion lens, for the farther shots.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The distortion effect on the sides of the image, was only when I panned the camera.
With the camera still the image looked fine.
It is hard to describe without an actual visual example.

Sometimes the pan was without half-pressing the shutter, so the lens was not focusing.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Then that was likely the problem with the distortion you were seeing. Unless the sport is Chess, stick with mechanical shutter. It is usually referred to as the "rolling shutter effect" if you want to look into it further.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Then that was likely the problem with the distortion you were seeing. Unless the sport is Chess, stick with mechanical shutter. It is usually referred to as the "rolling shutter effect" if you want to look into it further.
It is not the recorded image.
It is just looking through the EVF, and panning.

I got to try to make a couple photos to try to show what I mean.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I tried a tip I got on another forum.
Shoot down the length of the court to the other side, with a long lens. I used the 12-100/4.
As some of you know, it is tough using an f/4 lens in a dim gym. I had to shoot at ISO 6400, to shoot at 1/400 sec, f/4.​
I normally don't use a long lens to shoot basketball, so doing this was interesting, and I got shots that I normally don't bother shooting with a short lens, cuz it is too far.
My normal basketball kit is an APS-C dSLR with a 35/1.8.​

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
At the end of HS basketball season, I finally migrated to m4/3, and left the dSLR at home.
The EM1-mk2 proved good enough for the job, whereas the mk1 was NOT, for me.
While I don't like the stiff zoom ring of the 12-40/2.8, it gives me more FL flexibility than the 35/1.8 prime on my dSLR.
Though I am sitting on my hands, trying to resist buying the Tamron 17-50/2.8 for the Nikon.​

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom