HP Touchpad at Barnes and Noble ~$100

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by drizek, Aug 22, 2011.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I believe HP just bombed out of the tablet market. There may be little, if any, support for this moving forward.

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Does it run on Windows?? Are there any apps for it?

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Just ordered one from B&N to use for photo viewing cause it has the same IPS screen as ipad. I wonder if BN brick & mortar stores have some or it's online only?

4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    You're not the only one with this thought. HP haven't just dumped the hardware, they're appear to be abandoning the whole WebOS project. Unless they can find someone to buy it. I'm told it's not that bad. I wouldn't know. The Touchpad was only launched in NZ in the last week or so :rofl:

5. Kade.Sirin

Kade.Sirin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2010
    Las Vegas
    There'll be Android support soon...

6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    me too.

Art,
    I ordered one this morning too. Did you recieve anything from them other than the order recieved email?

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks for the link, I grabbed one. At least they have recieved my order. We'll see if they have any in a few days I guess.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The real question is, is if there will be any stock at HP store. My understanding is that many of the B&M retailers shipped/shipping stock back to HP. I think many people bought up a ton too just to resale on ebay. I could have gotten one on sale, maybe should have.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Dang, missed all of the closeouts. This is a fantastic deal for the hardware. WebOS is actually nice, but with no apps comping, would be much better to load the Android hack when available.

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's unclear what they'll do w/ webOS at this point, they've officially just dropped out of the hardware market. Whether or not anyone is interested in licensing is a different story.

However, for $100-$150, it could back up as a photo viewer and be worth it to have a web browsing lounger around the house. This is exactly why I wanted a tablet, but $400-$500 was too much to justify.

In addition, the homebrew community has always been awesome. I missed that moving to android, but hope to see them keep the touchpad going for a little bit.

thisismynext has a recent non-scientific poll, The $99.99 TouchPad phenomenon, in your words | This is my next... , on why folks bought them. Not many were trying to flood the ebay market it seems. Nor am I, I wanted a tablet, and got spares in fear of cancelled orders. I'll put one up to the webos internals dev team at cost if they need it. The other, maybe gift or if someone missed out give it to em at cost.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Ordered one fron BN yesterday. Today the order status shows "ubable to process"

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I can really relate to the article. I just dropped 400 bucks on an android tablet. There are some really cool things about it, but it lacks fundamental things that I feel a tablet should do at that kinda price. At 150 or even 200 bucks, I probably wouldn't mind. I'll keep the android tablet anyways though, because I'm sure some of the issues I have will eventually be remedied down the road, and they aren't exactly deal breakers. At the price these larger tablets are, it is obvious that the cost boils down to convienience over function.

13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I just checked my local Office Max as Google said they had limited stock, but they said all their brick & mortars in the area sold out on Saturday.

I have held off on the tablet so far, because of price. You are within striking distance of subcompact notebooks, with full operating systems, and if you stretch a bit, you can buy a fantastic, tiny Macbook Air for $999.

14. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    ordered mine last night. i hope it went thru. Mine still says "In Process: Not Yet Shipped". we'll see. can't wait for android to be ported on this.

15. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Mine was canceled.

16. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    You should have bought an iPad. Android/WebOS tablets are just toys at this point.I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one.

17. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    you actually got an email saying it was cancelled? when did you order? i'm guessing mine will probably be too. Heard some other people's order's being cancelled. oh well.

18. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I ordered last night, at around 9:45

I will definitely call and complain if people who ordered after me get theirs shipped and I don't.

19. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    ok mine will be cancelled then. I just ordered a bit before you. lol

i wonder if anyone that ordered thru barnes is actually getting one or everything is an error.