1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HP Envy Tilt Screen Desktops for Post Processing - Any Opinions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sokar, Dec 7, 2013.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi All,

I was wondering if any users had firsthand experience with the new HP desktop all-in-one with tilting screen. I first saw this in a catalogue last week and at first thought the idea was a little silly, but today I had an opportunity to play with one firsthand running Windows 8.0.

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-Bench-Blog/HP-ENVY-Recline-Kick-back-with-a-good-PC/ba-p/82795

I will be in the market for a new desktop in the next 6 months and have started looking at what is available in both design and hardware specs. My options were:

1. A high end windows (tower) desktop, or
    2. A new 27inch IMac.

Both can be built to similar specs and therefore it is really only the operating system that would differ. I use Windows 7 & 8, and had Macs for many years, and therefore I am happy to use either.

After seeing this HP desktop today, I was quite impressed and started considering what impact this type of desktop design would have on the user experience. The envy desktops come in HD 23 & 27 inch variants, and can be specced with I7 processors and a combination of SSD and conventional HD's. RAM can be increased to at least 16GB and therefore with this combination of hardware, it would be an ideal editing platform, if the user interface is workable and practical.

If one looks at the website posted above, it is evident that the screen can be pulled down to chest height and pulled forward to enable tough input rather than mouse input. This appears to work well and could be fantastic for editing of photos. What I am not sure about is the touch interaction with Lightroom sliders and how accurate they would be compared with mouse input / adjustments.

I need to perform some more research, but first impressions are positive. If any members have opinions or experience, I would greatly appreciate their comments.

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    It certainly looks pretty neat although I dont particularly buy into the touch screen desktop myself. What you have to realize with this or the 27 inch iMac is that you are paying a lot for the form factor and actually not getting a whole load of PC. In order to make a sleek all-in-one desktop what you have to essentially do is cram a whole lot of laptop parts in (this is not simply a question of size but also heat dissipation). So the graphics card is a laptop model. (Also I imagine the hybrid drive is essentially not much SSD and lots of HDD.)

So a lot depends on what you mean by 'high end desktop'. It appears your budget is around US$2,000. For that you can get a very powerful PC. But do you need it? The HP Recline specs will handle photo editing with ease and reasonable gaming. You could however, build a desktop with the same specs for about US$1,000 while configuring the HP will take you closer to US$2,000.

There is nothing wrong with paying US$2k for form over function and (as I am guessing you are not a gamer) there is very little point of paying for a very powerful PC if you are not going to use the power. One other option to consider is to get a very powerful laptop and an external monitor (my preferred choice.)

3. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks Robbie for the response. I actually found the catalogue in Thailand (Big C) and HP are launching the new line of desktop envy models as well as some powerful desktop towers. I am in Australia currently and found one in a store today. You are correct; I am not into gaming, but wish to purchase something that will last at least a few years will no problems with hardware / speed / being able to run future OS with minimal loss of speed with an upgrade.

I am intrigued by the large touchscreen concept and the possible benefits ergonomically, but not at a significant price over a conventional configuration. Maybe it is time to research a descent desktop build that dissipates heat effectively as you mention and incorporate the more powerful components. I currently run a laptop and large monitor, but all the gear is rather antiquated and showing signs of fatigue.

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    If you happen to like the laptop/large monitor configuration - and you do need to make use of the laptop as a laptop (say for when you travel) for it to make any sense - it does hold quite a lot of attraction now. For one thing the latest Haswell chips are more about power saving than performance, so you are seeing great laptop battery times and big space savings. Secondly, hard drives are getting incredibly small so that my msata SSD drives are barely the size of a postage stamp. You are therefore getting very small lightweight laptops with very decent PC power and good battery life. But pretty obviously they are not cheap.

I run everything off a Razer Blade 14" which is thinner and lighter than a 13" Mac Pro Retina and buckets more power.

5. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I checked out that razor blade 14. That is one fast little unit. Back to the drawing board for me Robbie to reconsider my options on what I need versus what I desire.

Thanks again