1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hoya ND8 filter...good? Bad?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LowriderS10, Apr 14, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

I've been shooting with Light Craft Workshop's variable ND filters for years, but I'm thinking about switching it up and seeing how I like a straight up ND filter. I found one locally for about 31 bucks, which is pretty decent for a high-quality, multi-coated filter.

Question is...are they any good? (I'm thinking mostly about colour cast, loss of sharpness/contrast, etc).

I'm mostly happy with the LCW filter, but since I use them on UWAs, they do tend to have the cross-hatch effect when I stop it down too much, so I don't think it's the most efficient option. I have to leave it only about halfway closed (maybe ND4-6 equivalent?) to get even exposure across the frame in a lot of situations.

Also...is ND8 good enough for waterfalls, fountains, etc during the day?

Thanks,
    T

2. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I like my filter. If I need more, then I add a polarizer for an extra two stops. Never had an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.