Hoya HD CIR-PL FAKE? query

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chris Knapton, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Chris Knapton

Chris Knapton Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Hi, Just bought the HD Hoya polarizer and noticed that there was a spelling mistake on the back of the packet - it says 'licesed' instead of 'licensed' - which makes me wonder if I have bought a fake. I can't imagine that Tokina or Hoya would allow a mistake like that.
    Can anyone look at their packet and check?
    If it's not the same as mine I think I've been duped. I know they must be a high margin product so it would be worth faking.
    Chris

2. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    If bought on ebay and posted from China most probally a fake, I have bought filters on Ebay but try to get from suppliers within my own country, but still cannot be sure if they are fakes or not . only way to be certain is buy from an authorised dealer and expect to pay price

Al.

3. Chris Knapton

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Hi Al,
    I bought from Amazon in the UK so I was hoping to be sure of an authentic product. Just the spelling bothered me - spams always seem to be in poor English so I assumed the fakes were the same. I'll try to contact Hoya direct.
    Chris

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hoya = Nikon so I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if there was a spelling or grammar error in the translation from Japanese/kanji to English.

If you have an LCD watch, it's easy to test the polarizer - as you rotate the polarizer, the display should black out completely.

5. Chris Knapton

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Hi tc,
    It certainly works in the same way that all my polarizers do - I was just keen to be sure of all the other qualities I'm paying for - increased light transmission, special multi-coating, scratch resistance etc that are invisible but are very useful in the field.

6. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    same spelling error on mine

I have fairly recent orders from Amazon UK also - got the 67mm UV and CP to go on my 100-300mm.

They seem fine, the odd spelling mistake is not that unusual in translated manuals or similar.

You could contact Hoya and they'll check the serial number, but it is unlikely that Amazon are selling knock-offs.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Agreed, but there isn't really any good way to check those. If you had a known "good" one, some comparisons would be pretty easy and obvious (flare, etc), but hard to test otherwise.

If it was a really bad knockoff, it likely wouldn't be polarized either, just tinted.

8. Chris Knapton

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    I checked with Intro 2000, who are the Hoya importers, and they tell me it's genuine stock.
    What I have noticed is that the AFC doesn't work with it on my 14-140 when I try it in the studio here. Take it off and everything is fine. It must interfere with the autofocus - although I had imagined that it would increase contrast to make it work better. Worth remembering when shooting video.

9. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

You said you bought a polarizing filter if that is the case that is your problem. Many auto focus cameras and newer metering systems both need a "circular" polarizing filter to behave properly.

To check to see if your filter is a circular polarizing filter go to a mirror close one eye look through with the other in the same orientation as it would be on the camera. Next flip the filter over and it should appear black in the reflection. it is only black in one orientation.

If you don't see this you don't have a circular polarizing filter and it may be wise to sell it and use the money to get a circular polarizer.

10. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Linear can work on contrast detect

I have used an old linear polariser on the G1 and it is fine in AFS mode. Never really use AFC - but just testing now on the 45mm with the linear - it allows AFC also !

But the new Hoya HD doesn't (on the 100-300).

So that's a mystery - especially as the Hoya is supposed to have 90% less light loss or something.

11. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    The mirror test indicates it is a circ btw

12. Chris Knapton

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK

13. Chris Knapton

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    AFC - CIR-POL - Working now

I didn't know of that test - but I've done it and it works.
    The AFC now also works and I can't replicate last night's problems, very odd. It was just after updating the lens firmware but I can't imagine why that should have any effect.
    So, all is well!
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Chris

14. planetf1

planetf1 New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2011
    Funnily enough I've just received a HD filter, also from amazon and was looking for comments when I found this post.

Mine also says licesed.

What was the verdict? A simple spelling mistake?
    I've not tried the filter yet.

15. planetf1

planetf1 New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2011
    Actually a little more google and it looks like this is no reason to suspect non-genuine. a variety of reports.

Good .. can now try it out :)

My last CPL was a Hoya Pro-1D -- worked fine, but I've just gone for a super telephoto travel lens (it's not u4/3...) so I wanted to regain some of a stop by paying a small extra premium. I also ended up sticking with a cheaper (HMC) UV filter as I'll only use that when the cpl isn't on. That's the theory otherwise will have to blow more on a Hoya HD UV...

16. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Be forewarned: I just got a set of filters on ebay for my Pen. Seller advertises 37 mm for EPL1 and guess what? It should be 40.5 mm. Trying to get this replaced and it is a tedious process. However, I need my $10 and dignity back.

17. 37mm would have been correct for the 17/2.8, but I'm guessing that you wanted it for the MkI kit zoom.

18. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes. It was for the 14-42 mm base kit. I just got to check next time and not to rely on seller ads. A lesson learned today and i got my money back :smile:

19. cleanmaster

cleanmaster New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2011
    The newer Olympus 14-42 mm II kitlens (E-PL2) also has a filter thread of 37mm.