1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

hoya and kenko nd filters. are they identical?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by travelbug, Apr 11, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i only have 1 kenko nd400 filter and was thinking of getting 1 or 2 more (nd16 and 1000- i live in a tropical country), but only hoya's are available for those filters and sizes locally.

know i know they are from the same company but i wanted to know if they are in face identical and am safe stacking kenkos with hoyas. the reason im wary is because a friend said his hoya nd filter gives him a warm color cast and i see my kenko filter as giving a bluish one. me or my friend could be wrong, so i wanted to ask here. i could alternatively source a kenko filter from amazon if the hoyas turn out to be 'not compatible'.

2. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Hoya makes several lines lines of ND filters for a wide range of prices. Here are three Hoya 3-stop filters from $10 to $62:

Solid Neutral Density Filters | B&H Photo Video

So even Hoya and Hoya are not necessarily identical. Whether they need to be identical is a different question. I have mixed a Hoya polarizer that has a greenish cast with a Marumi ND that is a different color - doesn't bother me because I almost always correct the colors anyway.