hoya and kenko nd filters. are they identical?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by travelbug, Apr 11, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i only have 1 kenko nd400 filter and was thinking of getting 1 or 2 more (nd16 and 1000- i live in a tropical country), but only hoya's are available for those filters and sizes locally.

know i know they are from the same company but i wanted to know if they are in face identical and am safe stacking kenkos with hoyas. the reason im wary is because a friend said his hoya nd filter gives him a warm color cast and i see my kenko filter as giving a bluish one. me or my friend could be wrong, so i wanted to ask here. i could alternatively source a kenko filter from amazon if the hoyas turn out to be 'not compatible'.
  2. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Hoya makes several lines lines of ND filters for a wide range of prices. Here are three Hoya 3-stop filters from $10 to $62:

Solid Neutral Density Filters | B&H Photo Video

So even Hoya and Hoya are not necessarily identical. Whether they need to be identical is a different question. I have mixed a Hoya polarizer that has a greenish cast with a Marumi ND that is a different color - doesn't bother me because I almost always correct the colors anyway.