How's weather?

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
It's 0 degrees Celsius (centigrade) at Tampere and it just stopped snowing.

Just waiting for the really cold weather to come. Last winter we had over one month of -30…
Krang,
Tampere might be in the south of Finland and I expect it's rather beautiful with all those lakes nearby, but it's not for me in the winter, brrr.

Barrie

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Barrie,

back to number 15

nice shot but maybe the browns and maybe the greens are a little "off" - what do you think?

Cheers

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Barrie,
back to number 15
nice shot but maybe the browns and maybe the greens are a little "off" - what do you think?
Cheers
Bill,

The photograph you refer to is a jpeg straight out of the camera. I normally shoot in raw and then post process the raw file. Following a recent thread in this forum, https://www.mu-43.com/f35/return-jpeg-6580/, I decided to see what the camera could produce in the way of jpegs, these are the first results using in camera settings suggested in that thread.
I would defend the browns on the basis that many Devon soils are very reddish brown and I would suggest that the colour rendered here is fairly close to the soil colour in the Slapton area.
As for the greens you might well be right, I suffer some slight blue/green colour blindness which I understand affects some 10% of the male population. Perhaps that's why when I shot film I nearly always did black and white. I have always felt my colour judgement to be somewhat suspect.
The Panasonic G range of cameras has a white balance setting that can be tweaked in camera with settings represented on two axes, amber/blue and green/magenta, I will probably play around with those settings in the near future when I can do a series of shots with the camera tripod mounted, likewise I need to adjust the saturation and contrast settings in camera to judge the effects on the in camera jpegs.
I have always tended, by choice, to produce rather under saturated photographs, but having seen many on here that are more saturated than I would normally produce I have begun to experiment in that direction.
It might be that I will need to wait for next spring before I can undertake a long series of comparison photographs, when I do I will take the opportunity to post and seek comments.
There are so many variables in rendering colour, not least our respective monitors, but it will be instructive to try.
No doubt I should also take the time to study other peoples work that is of an acceptable colour balance to see how my eyes render those colours that are difficult for me, so that I'm able to better judge my own work.
Many thanks for stimulating this line of thought.

Barrie

michaelfinch

Mu-43 Regular
Weather

Typical autumn here in NW England. Yesterday, glorious. Today, a mixture of sun and rain with gales promised.
The pix (from yesterday) are jpgs with v.little tweaking using GF1+20mm 1.7. The shot through the window of the dilapidated building has some very deep shadows but they've adjusted ok, I think. The only other adjustment (apart from sharpening) is a slight reduction in gamma for the brick/stone facing.
The wider shot of the old farm building has had a touch of levels and sharpening only. Great wee camera! The location is close to the Leeds-Liverpool canal near Blackburn, Lancashire.

Attachments

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We had a nice yesterday out shopping in crisp autumn daylight after some days of rain so bad I refused to drive.
Today I held a tray out of the back door to collect the 5mm hailstones which suddenly dropped from the wet sky.
Definitely some weather out there.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom