1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How's Olympus Reconditioned Lens Quality?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Tom2014, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tom2014

Tom2014 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Canada
    Hi Everyone,

Does anyone has experience with Olympus Reconditioned Lens?

Thank you
    Tom

2. Hank77

Hank77 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    It's great. I've ordered two 12-40 lenses since the beginning of the year. They look brand new. The first one came with a busted hood, and they sent another one out very quickly. Wait for a 20% off coupon, and keep an eye on the lens selection a few times a week. It changes quite often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Agreed. Search the forums for Olympus refurb and you should find plenty of confirmation.

4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have had excellent experiences buying a few refurbished items from the Olympus online store.

5. Tom2014

Tom2014 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks. My friend told me Olympus had 20% off recently however there were not many good lenses are available, maybe it was sold out as soon as it showed up.
    Does Olympus offer 20% discount very often?

6. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Look for the sale during major (or sometimes even non-major) holidays. They seem to happen about once a month or two.

7. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

My refurbished 12-40 looked brand new. No issues so far in 10 months.

8. Tom2014

Tom2014 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Canada
    It seems reconditioned lens goes really fast, I looked at 75mm f/1.8 and it's sold out 10 minutes later.

9. Hank77

Hank77 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    I just recently started updating my 4 year old micro 4/3's system, so I only saw two 20% off sales in the last 6 months or so. Also note that they have separate sales for 20% off warranties. That warranty can be purchased for refurbished lenses and bodies as well. Sign up for their newsletter and open each one to review it. I found the 20% off warranties at the bottom of one of the e-mails from a few weeks ago. Good luck!

10. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I haven't had problems with my refurbished lenses either. The sales do run regularly--at least every couple of months, usually around a holiday weekend, but not always. However, the chances of finding one of the more sought after lenses in the refurb store at the same time as Oly is running a sale is very, very slim from what I have experienced and observed here. For sought after lenses like the 12-40mm, 75mm, 60mm etc you need to be ready to buy immediately if you see them. They sometimes sell out within minutes.

11. kxchan427

kxchan427 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Kevin
    I ordered a 12-40, and the hood looked new, and the lens had minor paint loss on some edges around the barrel. Performs as new though, so I can't be mad.

12. Tom2014

Tom2014 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks, that's good to know. I have bought reconditioned Apple product, it looks brand new in different box (white box).

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I bought a 60mm macro lens which looked and operated like new. I just ordered a 9-18. These sell out so fast, it's rare to be able to get one with a coupon, as they had a couple of weeks ago. :-(

Thought I'd better grab it while it was in stock. Satisfied so far. :)

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I ordered a refurbished 25/1.8 from them. had it not been shipped in a box that said refurbished on it, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from new.

15. kxchan427

kxchan427 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Kevin
    Yeah I believe there is a disclaimer that items may have minor wear and tear. I would be very disappointed had my item come with a dent in it though! For about $300 off retail for such a great lens, in my opinion refurbished is the way to go.

16. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    The 12-60mm I bought refurbished had excessive scratches in the front elements lens coating.
    Since those were only visible when wet-cleaning (with a Zeiss wipe) I didn't find them in the first 30 days. (Olympus classified them as cosmetic damage which isn't covered under the 90 day warranty)

Probably not going to be noticeable in most shots, but one or two dozen inch-long scratches are still slightly disappointing to have. Oh well, guess I've learned another lesson...

17. Redwing

Redwing Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 2, 2015
    I've ordered two refurbished lenses, the 12-40 pro and the 35-100 f2.0. Fortunately, in my case, both arrived in perfect cosmetic condition. If not for the refurbished boxes, I would not have known they were not brand new.

I also ordered a camera body from them, it also arrived in perfect condition, but the body was not to my liking and I returned it within the specified time period. FYI, the return process was no questions asked.

And yes, the good stuff goes quickly, I missed multiple listings over several months for the 12-40f2.8 before I was able to order one at regular refurb pricing. I was fortunate enough to pickup the 35-100f2.0 with the 20% off special.

18. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'd guess there'd be either a "Time Change" sale or one for the first day of Spring.

19. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2012
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    Dave
    Tom,

I have ordered 3 or 4 lenses from Olympus; Reconditioned Lens store and they have been indistinguishable from new. I've been pleased with all of them.

Dave

20. Biggstr

Biggstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Ashburn, VA
    I have acquired most of the Olympus prime lenses, a few zoom lenses, and numerous camera bodies refurbished. They were all pristine and looked like new except for a 75-300mm version 1 lens. It looked like someone had let it bang around in an equipment bag with sharp metal objects for a year ... gouges, scratches, rubs. I returned it.