Howdy, y'all, from Texas!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by jkendal, Oct 31, 2012.

1. jkendal

jkendal New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2012
    Burton, Texas
    I'm Ken from Burton, TX (about halfway between Houston and Austin on US Highway 290). I grew up in Houston and moved to Austin in the late 80's and I've been moving away from the big city ever since (and haven't been happier). And yes, some people from Texas actually do say "howdy" and "y'all". I rarely ever say "howdy" but I seem to say "y'all" fairly often.

I'm new to DSLRs. The only cameras I've owned before were point-and-clicks.

My wife and I recently went on a 2-week vacation to Alaska to visit family. I HIGHLY recommend going there if you haven't been before - IT IS GORGEOUS THERE! Anyway, I took some 'pictures' (I call them 'pictures' because I really wouldn't/can't call them photographs) with my little point-&-click but the results just didn't even come close to duplicating the beauty we witnessed there. That's what led to the purchase of an Olympus E-PM1 about two weeks ago, which invariably led me here to learn more about it's settings.

I've already read a number of posts here and I can already tell I'm going to learn a lot from this site, so thanks to everyone involved with running the place. And I have a LOT to learn, even though I've used cameras for most of my adult life (going on 50 now).

You probably won't hear from me very often - I'm mostly a lurker when it comes to forums - I like to search for info more than I like to post questions.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm over in SW Texas. There are quite a few of us on this board. Are you in the Piny Woods area or prairie? Been through those parts but no real knowledge of that part of Texas. Such a huge state. Probably never see it all.

Enjoy your new setup and be sure and post some pics. :thumbup:
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum. That camera is a nice step up - you now have the option to learn to use more advanced modes if you want. Or, you can stick to auto and still get great photos. Enjoy! :cool:
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    im just north of austin, but im constantly up n down 290! ill wave next time! :D
  5. North of Big D here. Cant remember if the correct term is North Texas or Baja Oklahoma.

6. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Hi and welcome to the forum!