1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Howdy-do, and how I got here

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by TheEmrys, Jul 20, 2014.

1. TheEmrys

TheEmrys New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2014
    I am a fairly new photographer, but it is something I have had an interest in for the last 25 years. A couple of years ago, I used some credit card rewards points and got a Sony a560, one of the last model with an OVF. All was well and good, until I started taking pictures of elk. Being only an hour from Rocky Mountain National Park, I started to get more and more interested in lenses with reach. I went through not good (but not bad) lenses, like the Tamron 200-400, up to the very good good Minolta AF500/8 reflex lens up to the amazingly good Sony 70-400G. Well, along came a baby, and some of the longer lenses had to go. I got laid off from a terrible job, and pursued a Master's degree (1 class left!). In my spare time as a stay-at-home dad/grad student, I bought and sold lenses on a small, but fairly profitable scale. Worked my way into an a65, and fell in love with the EVF. I will never go back. I ended up getting into a full frame a99. Being able to use all of the classic Minolta lenses the way God intended was a revelation. The 50/1.4, 35-105, 70-210/4, 17-35, and the stunningly good 80-200 HS G all of a sudden made sense. It was fun.

Then a thought occurred to move from quantity to quality. I also wanted portability because my wife and I, living in Colorado, really enjoy the outdoors, particularly hiking. So I sold or traded it all away everything and "settled" for an a7, 24-70/4 (which is far better than its been described), and the amazing 55/1.8. An a-mount adapter rounded out my kit with a long, wide, and semi-macro option, and I was off to the races.

Then (financial) disaster. Had to raise cash quickly. Sold off the 55/1.8, and the rest is following. I knew I could not quit photography, but I needed a small system with an EVF, excellent glass, full frame equivalent focal lengths, and small size. I really liked the color and rendition of the Olympus OMD's, so here I am. I am the proud (and slightly sad to have left the a7) owner of an E-M10, 12-40/2.8, 17/1.8, and 45/1.8, thanks to the recent sales incentives. So far, I only really miss the very high ISO I was able to shoot with the a7 and the way that the Zeiss lenses rendered. Loved that 55. But, I can already tell I will absolutely love going out with the 17 and 45 combo. The lenses are absolutely tiny.The 12-40, while a bit unbalanced, is still smaller than the 24-70 was, and with a bit more reach.

I eagerly away the the 40-150/2.8 and the 300/4. I can easily see myself picking up the Panny 25/1.4, as well. I have been on Dyxum for the last few years, and really learned a lot there. I doubt I will leave it completely, and if I ever win the lottery, I could easily see myself picking up an a7 model again. But for now, I am happily adjusting. I do miss some elements of the Sony system, but mft has a tremendous price to performance ratio. And you simply cannot beat the size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.