How young can one start ?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by nianys, Aug 1, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

My daughter will turn 4 in late September. She started handling DSLRs as a toddler (basically stealing them off the coffee table and pushing buttons), and got her first proper camera (an 8MP Nikon Coolpix thingy) for her second birthday.

Over time she got familiar with the controls, shutter, play button, back LCD. About 6 months ago she really started getting the concept of aiming, firing, and reviewing the shot. Those past weeks, playing with the GX-1 + LVF2 attached, she mastered the toggle between LCD and viewfinder. She is now completely proficient at making a proper shot, and learned how to properly hold the camera (one hand around the lens barrel) today.

She made three portraits of me this morning that I'd like to share :

I did only a very light cropping on this, and the basic level editing.

That has to be one of the best picture of me in the past 5 years, lol.

And finally this one, which I chose to convert to black and white :

I believe promoting artistic skills in children is a great thing. I'm very anxious to see what kind of photos she's gonna make by the time she's 10...
    • Like Like x 15
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Wow those are great! Nice job by your daughter, and very very cool. Looks like she has some natural talent and/or good instruction :smile:
  3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    She's got a good eye for her age. Very promising, and its great that you will have a hobby to share with her.

I'm hoping my daughter will develop an interest in photography too!
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
  5. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Did she turn the camera for the portrait too?
    Nice shots
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Amazing, she's a very talented young lady!:bravo-009:
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Great portraits by your daughter! She's also very adorable when holding the camera!

My daughter is turning 4, and I can't wait for her to develop this hobby as well... Right now, she hasn't quite figured out how to hold the camera properly yet, but when she manages to hold it, she could take good portraits of mommy and daddy, which seems to be her only subject of interest at the moment...
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Great shots. Thanks for sharing. Very cool to get her started early, but beware when she claims your camera as her own...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. rameshsa

rameshsa Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    Great shots.. Do encourage her. I got into photography myself when I was 9 years old when my uncle presented me with a box camera
  10. beckyi90

beckyi90 Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
    Stockton, UK
    I wish i'd been given this chance, great photo's!
  11. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    The ones she took of you really show the connection between photographer and subject - it's what makes for a good portrait !
  12. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Absolutely true ! But beyond that I think she did a good job with her framing, in both orientations. I just cropped the vertical portrait as there was a bit much space over my head.

What I like is the obvious joy that she has shooting all kind of things (mundane details of the household usually, but if it feeds her interest and hones her skills, all good to me).
  13. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Yes, I feel the same. So the whole concept is to allow her to get comfortable and natural with the gear and the shooting process, at her own rythm, and as a game. I can introduce tips and safety rules along the way (mostly handling technique, this remains rather expensive gear) and I'm glad she now remembers to keep those grubby fingertips off the front lens, lol...
  14. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Great talent you have there! I have a 4-year old using my old Lumix DMC-FX2. They pick up intuitively very quickly.
  15. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

She already steals a lot of time with them ! No biggie though, it'll make a great excuse to get myself a fancier one :rolleyes: