How would you change the GM1? (aka GM1v2)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MrKal_El, Jan 12, 2014.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I LOVE my GM1 (as my E-M1 knows quite well)... BUT I def. wish some things were added or changed.

I'm already anticipating ver2 mostly since I envision how great this line could be...

Any of these changes should not increase its current size at all (except #1, which would be negligible)

1. Hot Shoe (compatible with an external viewfinder as well)

2. Built-in flash does wireless control.

3. Add at least 1 hardware control dial, possibly 2; esp. if the focus dial is eliminated.

4. Allow for add on grip ala E-P3

5. Additional color options in US

6. Increase mechanical shutter speed

7. Additional hardware button on the front near lens mount

What do you guys want? What am I missing...

2. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Dial and hot shoe are it really. I am not even that concerned about the hotshoe.

If they are one day able to fit in an evf then that would just peachy. That's the pipe dream feature.

3. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    IBIS

4. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I was looking at replacing my gx1 with the gx7 until this camera was released. The main disadvantage I see is the lack of in body IS and the slow mechanical shutter. I don't use most of the additional features the gx7 offers and the form factor seems perfect. If it had those missing features it'd be a no brainer.

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

All are great ideas, but the GM1 is as small as it is due to the lack of many of these features. This was not built to compete against their other cameras, but to be a streamlined higher performing ILC. How many here have purchased it as their primary camera?

6. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I could see using it more frequently if it had at least 1 dial if not 2. I am not sure why they left an actual dial out. The other stuff makes you end up with a gx7 but a dial does no such thing.

7. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    Global shutter.

Faster flash sinc speed.

It really is a great little camera and I just got back from lunch with it. I love being able to take it almost anywhere.

[​IMG]

8. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    24x36mm and a Sony badge.

9. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    This actually goes for the whole Panasonic range but being able to choose the minimum shutterspeed in Auto ISO (I shoot in Av a lot)

On Fuji's camera's Auto ISO settings you can choose a range eg: ISO 200-1600 and a shutterpeed from 1/60 and above. I find 1/125 a bit too slow on my GX7 and wished I had a setting that let me choose the minimum shutterspeed for Auto ISO.

10. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    Step 1) Set the dial to "S" and set your shutter speed to whatever you like.
    Step 2) set your ISO to auto and set the max to whatever you like.

Thanks how I do it.

11. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I end up doing that

12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Hand grip option like on the Olympus PL5 that doesn't require to put a huge plate over the entire bottom of the camera.

13. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Speaking of grips... Got my Richard Franiec... Beautiful.

BeCM9kWIIAA1hAW.

• Like Like x 1