1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How Would You Carry m43 For Super Bowl Trip to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by aukirk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I am off to New Orleans for the Super Bowl next week and looking forward to taking a lot of pictures throughout the weekend.

I always go back and forth about the best way to carry the camera and lenses, and would love some suggestions/feedback. I planning to bring the Olympus OM-D E-M5, 14mm, 25mm, 45mm, 75mm and 100-300mm. Don't necessarily have to carry them all every day, but wondering what everyone thinks?

When I have gone to Disney for a day of walking, I typically carry the Lowepro Sling, but I think that is mainly so I can throw all the crap my kids don't want to hold. (No kids this trip, so not sure I need this.)

During summer day trips, I typically just carry the camera on a sling strap and put one additional lens in each pocket of cargo pants/shorts. This is probably my preferred method, but it leaves the camera unprotected and limits the number of lenses you take (which can be good and bad).

Another option is to get a Scottevest to load up the other lenses for walking around, but don't have any experience, and not sure if I am just better off taking the Lowepro Sling.

Any thoughts? Need to order the vest soon if I am going to go that route. (Not sure why I put so much time into planning how to carry my equipment, but I do)

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Are you going to the game or just walking around the quarter? I was thinking of going,too. My sister and mom live in Mandeville, across the lake. I just sold/returned the 14,25,and 45 to buy a 12-35. Only other lens I would bring, 40-150. But I'm not going to the game, if I do go.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    unless you have really good seat (talking pitch level) then drop the long lens if you are expecting Sports Illustrated type shots... those guys throw serious lens at the problem Plus you are likely to be asked to stop... NFL images are worth money and they aint giving them away for free. otherwise 14, 25 and 75 looks like a good set to capture the atmosphere.

put the 14 on the camera going into the stadium.you might get away with it being a P&S

K

4. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    for walking around the french quarter, river and the NFL experience the all of you lenses will do fine, following will do fine. the 14mm and the 25mm may be the best for the atmosphere shots. the quarter is small space with tight streets. the clubs are low light so the 25mm will be your best for those events. the 45mm and 75mm will be fine for long range shots. suggest you check the NFL site for what you can bring inside the dome for the game. security is already tight around the dome. if you stay in a hotel, make sure you have a place to secure your gear if you are not taking it along.

frank

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    When I go out during the day, I always carry my selection in a regular backpack. Lately I have the 60mm macro on the OMD and carry it in my hand so I am "ready". In the bag, I have my EPL1 with the 7-14mm on it. My 100-300 is in its pouch and so is my 50mm Minolta. I pad the bag with a sweatshirt. I haven't had any issues yet and the gear is in like new shape. Enjoy the game, it should be a great match.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If I am going to the game, I'd only take one camera. If I'm going just for the festivities, a combo mini-vacation/photo expedition, two cameras.

1) I used to think vests were silly, then I used one and they're not a bad way to carry a lot of stuff reasonably balanced for a long time. I have a Domke vest designed for FF cameras, so if I went vested, I'd get a much smaller vest (probably another Domke);

2) Cameras need no protection. You can't take any photos with a camera in a bag or otherwise shielded. I'd always hang a camera(s) from the neck and a sling is a good way to do so;

3) Lenses in pockets, if that works for you then sure. Nothing wrong with going 'light'. You may have to work harder to capture the exceptional image due to a reduction of lenses, but that's okay and a good challenge.

4) I've never used a Sling type bag, just seems a lot slower to get in and out when compared to a fast bag (again ala Domke) or a vest. Speed, changing lenses quickly may/will make a difference to getting or missing the shot. If this is more vacation than photo expedition, than speed probably doesn't matter, if your primary goal of the trip is to document the Super Bowl festivities then speed is important.

If the trip is about photography, then you'll probably want and need the speed of a fast bag or vest. If the trip is more about having a good time and photography secondary concern, then the Sling bag is as good as anything else. Just make sure you lock the zippers when it's worn on the back.

Like with much in photography, there isn't any right or wrong, this is purely a matter of subjective personal taste. I sorta tossed up how I would look at the matter, based on way too many decades of experience.

Gary

7. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Definitely going to the game... Have no thoughts of getting action shots, just atmosphere. So for the game, I will probably put the camera over my shoulder (no weather concerns in the dome) with 25mm on camera, 14mm and 45mm in one pocket and 100-300 in the other (or 75?)

Most of my thoughts are about walking around New Orleans, NFL experience and the various concerts they have. I am leaning towards carrying the Lowepro Passport Sling packed

According to the NFL posting about game day, I am leaning towards packing the Lowepro Passport Sling with all the lenses, as I will probably be out and about all day Friday and Saturday without returning to the hotel, so who knows what will be needed.

Super Bowl 47 Stadium Policies

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    looking at their stated rules i would risk the 100-300 ;-0

9. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    100-300 is only 5 inches, not 6... but I hear you.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Vest is a good way to carry a couple of small lenses (Lumix 14 & 20mm, M. Zuiko 17 2.8) :smile:

11. I use an insulated grammar school lunch bag as my camera bag. Cameras and lens inside, water in the outer mesh pocket sandwich etc., in the side zipper pocket. Nothing says I have a camera inside. Ten bucks at CVS Drugstore.

12. vcs700s

vcs700s Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    I use the Lowepro Event Messenger 100. It is small but can carry the camera 3-4 lenses, extra battery, extra sd card and strap. Cheap too and comfortable to carry.

13. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    A consideration in the Crescent City!:eek:

14. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Just got the Panasonic 100-300 I ordered Sunday delivered... even though the specs indicate it is only 5 inches and NFL rules indicate they allow up to 6 inch lenses, I do agree that this may not be worth risking... this thing is HUGE! Don't know what I expected but it is much bigger than I thought.

Since I am not going for shots of the action on the field, I will probably not need this lens... therefore, I think I am going to return it and hope that Olympus comes out with a weather sealed 75-300 to replace the discontinued lens (since it would be nice this summer to have the weather sealed lens at the beach...)

Now I just need to decide whether I will take the Olympus 14-150 or the 75mm into the game... both are about the same size and fit will within the small camera bag allowed into the stadium (or a pocket).