1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How will you design OMD EM6 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys :smile:
    So we all know that OMD ergonimics and design is all over the place.In this internet era ,Everyone seem to have an opinion .Some people like it and some hate it . Olympus did a pretty amazing job and two part grip adds on much more functionality and makes more sense . Just imagine if OMD was a bit thicker with bigger grip , then same people would have been saying totally opposite . Its very difficult to please everone . Anyway I like the camera on the while but there is always a room for improvement . Lets assume Olympus picks you to design the next OMD EM6 , How would you design the camera? or what changes you wanna see in next offering ?
    This what I would do
    1) MAke camera grip in front thicker by 1cm to make it more stable in hand
    2) Top plate on right a bit more thick .
    3) Strap clips can go move slightly back so that they dont touch ur fingers
    4) Replace these plastic buttons with bigger and solid ones with more tactile feeling
    5) Make bottom plate more solid and use tough metal so that u are not worried about peeling of paint .
    6) Add on flash
    7) Add and other SD card slot in vertical grip , there is enough space there .
    8) Add another battery slot in Horizontal grip. Battery life is quite short .
    9) Frontal dial a bit thicker as it seems sharp
    10) Olympus PLEASE REPLACE REAR DIAL WITH REAL SOLID METAL KNOB rather than plasticky one which got detached .
    11) Please fix this irritating humming noise from sensor . It makes more noise than my macbook with SSD

Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    1. Add a programmable ring at the base of the lens mount (like RX-100, Canon S90,95,100,110 series)
    2. An option to power the camera thru MicroUSB, also to charge the battery when this is connected. This is very handy when you're traveling, so you can charge 2 batteries at a time (in-body + external charger).
    3. Add Fn3 beside Fn1, and Fn4 at the front-left side (for left thumb).
    4. Have modular side-screw-on grip as an option, like PENs, and include one in the package. Cause right now it's too thin for most people. (But don't take away the current grip option)
    5. Don't !@#!@up anything else :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    They already fixed this with firmware 1.5. Use the Olympus software to look it up and have it applied to your camera.

I had 1.2 when I received the E-M5 and I was also surprised by that noise. I applied 1.5 and it went away.

5. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I don't plan on getting a new body until probably E-M8.

If a E-P5 comes out though I might consider getting one.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't have an E-M5{yet} but one thing that I would have preferred is that the add-on grip not block the battery door. Perhaps have the battery slip in from the side?

7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Honestly I like the design as it is, the only change I would make would be a different style port covering for the USB/remote cable, the way it is now its a pain to get open, and I'm waiting for the day the rubber rips off.

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I did update and it still makes that noise.
    Cheers
    bhupinder

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Its should be barely audible unless you have half-press IBIS enabled and you you half-press the shutter.

You sure it went all the way to 1.5 and not just 1.3 or 1.4?

- I'd like them to add a "sensor lock" mechanism that allows for at home sensor cleaning.
    - Leather grip on both black and silver.
    - don't make the tilt screen so stiff
    - WIFI capabilities/ smartphone apps
    - Fix the playback (this can be added to the EM-5 of course)
    a) Allow us to set where to show playback by default, EVF or LCD
    b)some weird thing that happens in playback sometimes where the
    menu (lock, crop, red eye....) just wont go away until you mash a
    bunch of buttons.

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    An E-3/E-5 style monitor, so it can not only be viewed at different angles and in front of the camera, but it can be flipped 180 degrees so that a plastic cover is exposed to the elements instead of the screen all the time which could get scratched.

Since the camera has an EVF that can be used in lieu of the monitor, this makes more sense on the E-M5 than on the E-3/5.

11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Fix things please!

I don't have an E-M5, but I would consider a successor if
    1. they fixed the nasty purple ghosting with the Panasonic 7-14/4;
    2. they allow users to clean the sensor window themselves, even if that would mean giving up on the advanced 5-axis IBIS;
    3. fixed the banding with the Panasonic 20/1.7.

12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    As I've mentioned here before, the Olympus Rep told me to expect the slightly reduced-capability OM-D E-M3 next as a replacement for the E-P3 that's going out of production at the end of this year.

The E-M5 will continue on with improvements to fix the quality issues rolled out in each successive production sequence until sales start to drop off significantly.

Any E-M6 design is well off in the future, and will be driven by technology more advanced than 5-axis stabilization, and a high dynamic range 16MP 4/3 sensor.

13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    No way...just don't get the sensor dirty in the first place....I've never had to manually clean a sensor in any of my Oly FourThirds cameras going back to my first in 2005.

Instead I say Oly should post how to clean that sensor, with the usual disclaimers in case someone scratches their sensor and tries to sue Oly.

14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    A bit taller (use some of the space between the peak of the pyramid and top of camera; don't make the peak higher); buttons a bit larger. Add the rumored firmware upgrades (focus peaking and advanced video).

My dream next/future generation E-Mx has comparable capabilities of a prosumer DSLR to shoot and track fast action.

15. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Put the GH2 grip on it...no BS about $300 for extra stuff. Other than that it's perfect...except for... :p

16. Firstly, there's my usual wish to make it possible to permanently select the smaller focus box without requiring you press the magnify button and change the function of the four-way buttons to moving said focus box around the screen.

I hope that the OM-D series won't be exclusively made up of cameras with retro film SLR styling. My wish would be for a complimentary OM-D body with more modern DSLR-based styling and a toughened plastic shell...and no squishy buttons!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    a real bracket button, or a way to get it to one
    ability to customize the myset names
    focus peaking
    better build quality - especially the buttons & dials

18. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    1. Make the body a little bit wider so that the button layout is less cramped
    2. Add more beef to the handle so I don't need to landscape grip
    3. Add C1, C2, C3 on the mode dial
    4. Add a bigger button to press that I can assign to AF-ON
    5. Built-in flash
    6. IR and remote options
    7. Option to fully customize Fn buttons
    8. Strap lugs moved away from palm placement
    9. Larger EVF
    10. Customizable EVF parameters
    11. Focus assist (peaking)
    12. 1.44M+ LCD

19. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    As far as physical changes go, I'd prefer a fully articulating LCD screen, similar to what the Canon G11 has. - One that can swing to the side as well as up and down, and can be reversed to protect the screen. A slightly larger body overall might be nice as well, but not essential.

With regard to firmware, I'd like to see focus peaking implemented and making the function button settings a toggle (press once to activate/press again to de-activate).

EDIT: Oh yeah - Built-in GPS would be nice too!

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Didn't read too many, but ideas I've seen that I like:

Extra battery in addon grip
    Extra sd slot in addon grip
    Ep3 style removable grip(remove to use addon grip would be fine)
    Built in wifi & 4g(I love me some convenience!)
    Better tactile feedback for the buttons

Hmm
    15 minutes has passed
    I'm not coming up with anything...

Really, it's just fine. Lol

- Eliot@Austin, TX