1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How wide is the 7.5?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mpresley, Apr 3, 2013.

1. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    I had admired the photos taken with the Rokinon 7.5mm fish eye, but I didn't really appreciate how wide it was until I got my own copy of it... here's a sample of just how wide it's field of view is compared to the 12mm end of the 12-35.

So here's the setup:
    8616138165_84da94e64c_b.
    How wide is the 7.5 by Michael Presley, on Flickr

And from the side - I didn't measure the distance to the closest most spice bottle, but I'd guess about 6"
    8616136359_116e72295c_b.

This is what you get with the 7.5 mounted on my E-PL1
    8616140037_8e17bbbde9_b.

And the same location with the 12-35 @12mm on the E-M5
    8617240716_19f9b77c5e_b.

And finally, defished in Lightroom
    8616849701_546606cc55_b.

2. misupix

misupix Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    Bavaria
    Yeah, the 7.5 is insanely wide. I often get my feet in the pictures :wink:

What profile did you use to defish in LR?

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Yep, it's BIG wide! :smile:

4. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
  5. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    Along with 98% of HDR and mini toy village look I detest, with a burning passion, fisheye shots ... that said the defished shot does look a lot better than the "unfished" one

6. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Sorry to upset you :rolleyes:

7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I have size 15 shoes. I could never get them out of the way!:confused:

8. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Yea I've caught my feet in a couple of shots as well. I've found this lens to be a fun departure from the rectilinear norm and is my first foray into the world of round. Its not suitable for a lot of things but it is a new challenge to find ways to use it creatively.

9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Hi Mike, I'd guess there's nothing personal in this, it's such a distinctive look some are bound to hate the effect, much as others love it.
    For me, thanks - I'm looking to buy one of these and your post's really helpful :thumbup:

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This lens is great, my top 5 favourite and 10 out of top 25 favourite shots in Flicker are from this lens.
    Every time I use it, I feel creative.

Top 25 - a set on Flickr

11. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    quite so sir indeed the point I was trying to convey was that once it was "defished" it actually didn't "offend me" much at all :wink: Useful for interirors and possibly a lens that might appeal to myself...though I may not buy any additional lenses for my GX1 - or if I do just one prime around the 17-20 mm - purley as I already have so much camera gear I really can't justify buying several lenses for it.

If I ever move on my DSLR's then I might re look at it :)

12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  13. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    oh I wasn't particularly offended, more amused. It seemed an odd response in light of the intended reader... those who might not be offended by highly distorted images :biggrin:

This lens fills two roles for me; an additional creative path I haven't tried before, and the possibility of its use as an ultra wide rectilinear lens that I don't otherwise have.

If i still used DSLRs i might not have been interested either.

I'm happy if this is of any use to anyone besides myself.

14. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    so to defish it did you just play around with various lightroom profiles till you found on you liked the look of or some other approach ?

tis a nice looking lens too ... not that that's very important lol

15. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    There's a thread over at DPR where a gentleman (I call him that if for no other reason he did this for free :) posted some Camera RAW profiles for this lens. He has 3 or 4 variations, each doing some different form of math magic...

Rokinon/Samyang 7.5 Lens Profiles: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Farther into the thread he posted a response to how wide is the defished image and the disadvantage of doing that. It's interesting at least to get a small amount of insight to what's going on. I also saw that others were applying the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye profile to this lens - I've tried that and found it worked pretty well -

it is a nice looking lens -

16. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Anyone thinking of getting this lens should also check out the Open Source program, Hugin. It is (mainly) a graphical interface to another Open Source toolkit called PanoTools, to makeit much easier to use. Along with stitching Panoramas (as the name suggests), PanoTools can do "reprojection", so turn fisheye into rectilinear or a whole host of other projections. One of the projections supported has been nicknamed Pannini (although this is a typo, because its named after a painter called Panini), which is the exact same projection that Fisheye Hemi uses. So as long as you don't mind opening and resaving files instead of calling up a plugin, you can get what Fisheye-Hemi does for free.

17. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks for the heads up - I've used that software for pano work but haven't yet tried it for defishing... I prefer staying inside LR when I can and only exporting the results I want but it's always nice to have options.

18. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    thanks mike :)

19. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    Thanks for this. I'm a new OM-D user and I'm thinking of picking up this lens before heading to Glastonbury festival in June.

I'm coming from Canon, where 80% of my shots were taken with my Tokina 12-24 at 12mm, so I'm a big fan of wide angle.

20. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    I used to have the Tokina and loved shooting with it at 12mm as well. I'm taking the 7.5 with me to Scarborough Fair this Saturday just in case an opportunity arises.

Thanks for commenting.