How well does the Panasonic GX8 hold up today?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
Hello, I have recently been tempted by the Panasonic GX8 after seeing an advert from MPB second hand. And I am tempted to swap my Olympus E-M1 Mark I for the following reasons:
#1 Panasonic lenses are my favorite from Micro Four Thirds (the Panasonic Leica 15mm f 1.7 aperture ring)
#2 Better Sensor and Lens compatibility (Chromatic Aberration, Distortion, Vignetting, White Balance Correction)
#3 Better UI and Touch functionality
#4 Ergonomics of Panasonic (while I don't fault Olympus for any ergonomics issues with E-M1 Mark I, though I find E-M5 Mark II very painful to use because of being too narrow to comfortably hold in my hand) felt so beautiful in my hand after years of using Panasonic GX7 (as my favorite camera of all time) and G1

I would like to know how well does the AF compare between Panasonic GX8 and Olympus E-M1 Mark I. For wildlife that extra 4MP might give me a bit more room to crop, even if the AA filter on Panasonic GX8 nullifies the sharpness of no AA filter on Olympus E-M1 Mark I. The other feature I am curious about is how well does the GX8 EVF compare to the E-M1.

I am holding up on a brand new camera to see what the next generation Micro Four Thirds will bring, looking for who can implement Animal and Eye Recognition and Tracking, AF improvement, higher than 20MP sensor (for wildlife cropping), Hand-Held and Motion Detection High Resolution ... hopefully one of those nice 5.6 Dots EVFs ... and dare we dream of the Global Electronic Shutter or Organic Sensors.

Real Name
Joel
I am holding up on a brand new camera to see what the next generation Micro Four Thirds will bring, looking for who can implement Animal and Eye Recognition and Tracking, AF improvement, higher than 20MP sensor (for wildlife cropping), Hand-Held and Motion Detection High Resolution ... hopefully one of those nice 5.6 Dots EVFs ... and dare we dream of the Global Electronic Shutter or Organic Sensors.

As of Nov 19th, the G9 is going to be awfully close to what you're looking for, it's at least getting Animal AF.

I love my 2 GX8s, but if I'm shooting things that move, I grab the G9. C-AF on the GX8 is pretty poor. I've never used any of the Oly cameras.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
As of Nov 19th, the G9 is going to be awfully close to what you're looking for, it's at least getting Animal AF.

I love my 2 GX8s, but if I'm shooting things that move, I grab the G9. C-AF on the GX8 is pretty poor. I've never used any of the Oly cameras.
I can't wait to see the reviews and tests on the new firmware and I am quite excited about the potential at 900£ brand new and 1300£ with the Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f 2.8-4 ... but we have to see if it can do this as well as the Panasonic S1 (and I do believe that one has a better processor in it).

While Olympus can track chiu chiu and vrum vrum with the E-M1X I am a bit doubtful about putting that tracking on E-M1 Mark III because they could have put it in the E-M5 Mark III and the did not (including the Hand-Held High Resolution).

I want the Panasonic GX8 to be more of a permanent fit with either Panasonic X 12-35mm f 2.8 or the Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f 2.8-4 but that would be AFTER I commit to the Panasonic G9 or its successor to be my main Wildlife camera as well. I just miss that rangefinder-style and beautiful grip.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
The Gx8 evf is better than the Em1i evf imo.

The Em1 might have a slight advantage in tracking AF. Oly's Ibis is better than the Gx8's.

The Gx8 is a great pairing with the PL 15.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom