1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How well does priority face recognition work on Panasonic cameras?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hazwing, Oct 5, 2015.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I notice with my GM5, there is a feature for face recognition where it recognises and priorities certain saved faces. Whats everyone's experience with this? Does it work okay?

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

For the most part it works OK, but there are times that similar faces can be mistaken for someone else. Nice feature to make sure your kids get first priority!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Oh wow... let me get this clear. If it recognizes a prioritized face. It will choose that face to be in focus over any other face in the same photo?

Will be testing this out soon.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  4. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Face priority is a great feature. I have my OMD EM5 II set to Face Priority Nearest Eye. If the camera focuses where I don't want it to I just rotate the barrel and it jumps right into manual focus mode.
    It's really clever! Have fun with it.

(I know you asked about Panasonic, but I'm sure they both share similar features)

5. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012

I could be wrong since I dont have an EM5II, but I think your talking about face "detection".

The OP is talking about face "recognition", where you can actually register a face and it will know the name of the face and give it priority.

Here is a photo from an old panasonic site
    anne.

As you can see, you can register faces and it will prioritize focus to them. I tried this briefly today on my GM5, and it works, but I haven't tried it long enough to give any real feedback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013

I stand corrected. I do believe my G3 had this feature. Often times the camera would register my daughter and my wife as the same person. Maybe because they look similar, although there is a good 30 year difference ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah, I'm going to have to give this a try. I haven't seen anyone mention this before, but seems like a handy feature to have. When you have a big group of people, it makes sure "important" faces are in focus

8. Redwing

Redwing Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 2, 2015
    It works very well on my G5, E-M1 and Canon G7x. It always prioritizes my kids' faces over any other face.

If you are photographing your kid's party, or want a specific registered person (wife, parent, etc.) in a modest sized group of people, it's a great feature.

9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Does the em-1 have this feature?

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    No.

• Agree Agree x 1